Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Carter Kieboom, 3B/SS  (Read 25767 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Follow the Prospects: Carter Kieboom, 3B/SS
« Topic Start: June 14, 2016, 10:32:58 AM »
Carter Kieboom, SS/3B

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185
Bats: Both
Throws: Both :lol:
DOB: September 3, 1997
Hometown: Marietta, Georgia
Signed: 6/13/16
Position: 3B/SS
Prospect rank: TBD at midseason updates
Drafted: 2016 comp pick (#28 overall)

Scouting:

Minor League Ball: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/6/9/11862776/2016-mlb-draft-carter-kieboom-3b-marietta-georgia

Listed at 6-2, 185, Kieboom is a right-handed hitter who stands out for his bat. His strike zone judgment and feel for hitting are considered excellent for his age. Although not a massive masher, his bat speed is sufficient to provide average to above-average power, 50-55 grade; combine that with his ability to get on base and you have a hitter.

Defensively he projects well as a third baseman although he is mainly a shortstop right now. He certainly has the athleticism, quickness, and arm strength for third base and while stretched at short, he is playable there at present.Third is likely the long-term destination however, but he should provide enough offense to be a viable corner bat, hitting for average, OBP, and with at least moderate power.

Kieboom was viewed as something like a third round pick six months ago but has shown enough this spring to move at least a round higher, with some rumors that he could get into the first round.

MLB Pipeline:
Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 45 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Kieboom is the youngest of three baseball-playing brothers, following Spencer (a catcher in the Nationals system) and Trevor (a third baseman at Georgia). Carter is the best hitter in the family -- and one of the best prep hitters in the 2016 Draft. He finished his senior season in style, doubling off likely first-rounder Joshua Lowe and coming around to score the winning run in a walkoff victory that gave Walton High (Marietta) the Georgia 6-A state championship.

Thanks to excellent hand-eye coordination and a mature approach, Kieboom barrels balls repeatedly. He had the best at-bats of anyone at the Under Armour All-America Game in July, including an opposite-field single against a 98-mph fastball from Riley Pint, the top-rated high school right-hander. Factor in Kieboom's quality bat speed and the loft in his right-handed swing, and he should have at least average power once he fills out.

A shortstop in high school, Kieboom has the actions, soft hands and solid arm strength to get the job done at third base in pro ball, and he has some experience behind the plate. He's also capable of switch-pitching, not that the mound will be part of his future at the next level. Part of a Walton program that has produced six big leaguers, most notably Billy Burns, Kieboom has committed to Clemson.

Fangraphs:

Kieboom has a great name and also an older brother (catcher Spencer) in the Nationals organization. He has plus bat speed and above average raw power now that should improve as he adds strength. Kieboom should be fine at third base while all four of his other tools are above average and he's hit everywhere this summer, so this may be a conservative ranking.

Baseball Draft Report: https://baseballdraftreport.com/tag/carter-kieboom/
Carter Kieboom was with the third base prospects in my notes up until about a month or so ago. The buzz on him being good enough to stick at shortstop for at least a few years grew too loud to ignore. In fact, said buzz reminds me quite a bit about how the slow yet steady drumbeat for Alex Bregman, Shortstop grew throughout the spring last season. Beyond the defensive comparison, I think there’s actually a little something to looking at Kieboom developing as a potential Bregman type impact bat over the next few seasons. He checks every box you’d want to see out of a high school infielder: hit (above-average), power (above-average raw), bat speed (yes), approach (mature beyond his years), athleticism (well above-average), speed (average), glove (average at short, could be better yet at third), and arm (average to above-average, more than enough for the left side). He’d be neck and neck with Drew Mendoza for third place on my third base list, but he gets the bump to second here with the shortstops. At either spot, he’s a definite first round talent for me.

Kline:

"He's a very athletic high school shortstop and I think stays at shortstop."
"It's an advanced approach at the plate. Very good tools with some above average, some solid average. He's going to be a really good big leaguer. Good makeup. Just has a really good feel for the game. He's a baseball player."
"He's a very athletic high school shortstop and I think [he] stays at shortstop."

Videos:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Carter Kieboom, 3B/SS
« Reply #1: June 14, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
:clap:

Offline RD

« Reply #2: June 14, 2016, 10:54:38 PM »
Am I the only one that sees some Corey Seager comparisons coming out?

No guarantee of the same type of development, especially as quickly. He might not be quite as tall as Seager either, but the lean frame, athleticism, current position and future position questions, raw power, bloodlines, and makeup all seem to be comparable.

I can hope at least :)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #3: June 14, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »
That'd be an awesome outcome. I think he'll end up being a bit bigger, with more power. Definitely don't see him sticking at SS

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #4: June 14, 2016, 11:01:04 PM »
That'd be an awesome outcome. I think he'll end up being a bit bigger, with more power. Definitely don't see him sticking at SS

What does 50 mean in rating a prospect?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #5: June 14, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »

I put 45 at league average. 50 is just a smudge above, if not average. He definitely has a solid arm, so it's usually range that decreases with size.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen

Offline whytev

« Reply #7: June 15, 2016, 02:06:18 AM »

If he hits well and doesn't stick at SS could he get pushed to 1st?

If so, could he catch right and throw left when he plays first, and the opposite when he pays 3rd?

Offline Matugi

« Reply #8: June 15, 2016, 04:00:44 AM »

Basically means that as of right now he projects as a solid MLB starter.  For an 18 year-old that's very good.  Trea Turner has a 50 grade from Fangraphs and I think a 60 from BP.  Giolito I've seen as high as 75 which means consistent All-Star

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #9: June 15, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
If he hits well and doesn't stick at SS could he get pushed to 1st?

If so, could he catch right and throw left when he plays first, and the opposite when he pays 3rd?

It's only range (and hey, we don't yet if he really can't stick there long-term). His arm is plus, so he could definitely stick at 3B, which is an infinity more valuable more position with the same bat.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Basically means that as of right now he projects as a solid MLB starter.  For an 18 year-old that's very good.  Trea Turner has a 50 grade from Fangraphs and I think a 60 from BP.  Giolito I've seen as high as 75 which means consistent All-Star

Can you tell me what Harper or Strasburg graded as?     Wanna get some sort of feel for a number one (can't fail) pick.    Thanks

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Can you tell me what Harper or Strasburg graded as?     Wanna get some sort of feel for a number one (can't fail) pick.    Thanks

Here's Harper. Littered with 7s and 8s. A once-in-a-lifetime prospect, for sure.

Can't find an old Stras scouting report, but he definitely had a future 75/80 grade FB. His grade was probably 65-75

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I can't find any Harper 80 scale grades but like BrandonK said he has once in a lifetime info everywhere.

For maybe an easier comparison here is a scouting report from Anthony Rendon from 2012;

Hit: Gifted hitter. Very natural contact ability. Hand-eye coordination is exceptional. Can reach any pitch in any part of the zone with outstanding plate coverage. Excellent pitch recognition and knowledge of the strike zone. Has a plan at the plate and is aggressive on balls he can drive. Uses the whole field well with line-drive ability from pole to pole. Truly outstanding hitter with potential to hit .300 at his peak. Simply needs ABs to get back in rhythm after time off. Grade – 50/70

Power: Still a bit of a question. Opinions vary widely, ranging from fringe-average to plus. Has plus to plus-plus natural bat speed and excellent strength in his forearms, wrists and hands. Makes tons of hard contact and just needs to add more loft and back spin to have true HR power. Will pile up doubles regardless. Comfortably settles in with average HR power and may have peak seasons with better than that. Grade (raw power) – 40/50

Arm: Above-average raw arm strength. Plays more average most of the time because of a little slower release. More than enough for third base. Grade – 50/50

Fielding: Excellent defender. Very quick reactions to both sides and reads the ball well off the bat, consistently fielding the ball on the correct and/or easy hop. Has soft hands and regularly fields the ball cleanly and without issue. Tools to be a very good defensive 3B and could steal some Gold Gloves. Easy plus defender. Must prove that injuries haven’t sapped any ability, but early returns have been good.  Grade – 60/60

Speed: Below-average runner that doesn’t get down the line well and isn’t an asset on the bases. Speed is not problematic but it isn’t a part of his game either. Grade – 40/40
https://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/08/17/scouting-report-anthony-rendon-3b/

That scouting report actually ended up being very close to spot on. Rendon is a bit better runner than projected but everything else is right, including the questions about injuries.

Offline whytev

I read in that book The Grind that Kline never gives anyone 80 on anything. Except once. For Espinosa's arm.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
I read in that book The Grind that Kline never gives anyone 80 on anything. Except once. For Espinosa's arm.

Really? That's interesting. Haven't heard of it before.

Offline whytev

Really? That's interesting. Haven't heard of it before.

Barry Svrluga's inside take on the 2014 team. I bought it but it's mostly the same as a newspaper series he did throughout that season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Barry Svrluga's inside take on the 2014 team. I bought it but it's mostly the same as a newspaper series he did throughout that season.

Man, I must've really blanked on that. I'll have to try and get that

Offline whytev

Man, I must've really blanked on that. I'll have to try and get that

It only just came out.  It's pretty good, but it's only about a one hour read.  Priced accordingly:

https://www.amazon.com/Grind-Inside-Baseballs-Endless-Season/dp/0399575952/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466033770&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Grind

Offline madj55

It only just came out.  It's pretty good, but it's only about a one hour read.  Priced accordingly:

https://www.amazon.com/Grind-Inside-Baseballs-Endless-Season/dp/0399575952/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466033770&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Grind
I agree with your review. I bought it and finished in on a flight to Boston.

Offline whytev

I agree with your review. I bought it and finished in on a flight to Boston.

From where?

Offline madj55

Offline whytev

From DC.

Yeah sounds about right.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
$2 million bonus. Roughly slot.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
$2 million bonus. Roughly slot.

Nice

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Roughly $90K saved (underslot) on Kieboom and Bogucki. Still haven't seen an official # on Luzardo, but if it's $764K overslot, that leaves a lot of work to be done with the other draftees.