Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Carter Kieboom, 3B/SS  (Read 25763 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Last week hit .611/.696/.1.056 in Fresno
is that BA / OBP / SLG? :shock:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

is that BA / OBP / SLG? :shock:

Yes.  He went from .299 to .323 in four games.  Fresno scored 22 runs yesterday on 24 hits, including 5 from Stevenson - who's hitting .337.  They had three different position players pitch.  Welcome to the PCL, where Andrew Stevenson can hit .330.  I didn't think Stevenson could hit .337 in tee ball.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Oh look, a Nats third baseman made the ASG

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Oh look, a Nats third baseman made the ASG
I think Bender from Futurama should be the mascot for the Futures Game.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Carter Kieboom, 3B/SS
« Reply #179: September 02, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
Named to the all-pcl team for 2019:

Carter Kieboom, All-PCL Team (SS):  In his first season at Triple-A, the 21-year old batted .311 over his first 102 games, with 16 home runs and 78 RBI.  His 63 walks and .416 OBP lead the Grizzlies.  Kieboom has reached base safely in 39 of his last 41 games dating to June 29, and has reached base in 16 consecutive contests.  The fourth-year pro was selected to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game in Cleveland in July, part of Major League Baseball's All-Star Game festivities. He also homered during his Major League debut at Nationals Park on April 26 against San Diego.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #180: September 04, 2019, 12:08:51 AM »
Rendon's replacement next year?

Online Slateman

« Reply #181: September 04, 2019, 07:26:14 AM »

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #182: October 13, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
Rendon's replacement next year?

Second baseman during Rendon remaining tenure with Washington

Online Slateman

« Reply #183: October 13, 2019, 08:44:41 PM »
Second baseman during Rendon remaining tenure with Washington
Traded for a RF replacement and decent middle reliever

Online imref

« Reply #184: January 16, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/2020-prospect-projections-national-league-east-rookies/c-312392674?tcid=tw_article_312392674

The 22-year-old infielder just happens to be the Nationals' top prospect at a time when they could use help on the dirt. Some might remember that the No. 20 overall prospect came up to help the big club in the first half of the 2019 season when Trea Turner was injured, only to go 5-for-39 (.128) with 16 strikeouts and four errors in 11 games.

But if that's all fans remember of the 2016 first-rounder, they missed out on yet another promising offensive season for the right-handed slugger. Kieboom was a Pacific Coast League end-of-season All-Star after hitting .303/.409/.493 with 16 homers, three triples and 24 doubles over 109 games with Triple-A Fresno. He earned a trip to the All-Star Futures Game along the way and was named an MiLB.com Organization All-Star for the third straight season.

more stats / analysis at the above link.  Steamer projects him to slash .260 / .335 / .413 with 17 home runs and 5 SBs in 600 PAs for a 2.2 WAR

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185: January 16, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/2020-prospect-projections-national-league-east-rookies/c-312392674?tcid=tw_article_312392674

more stats / analysis at the above link.  Steamer projects him to slash .260 / .335 / .413 with 17 home runs and 5 SBs in 600 PAs for a 2.2 WAR
I'd take that line in a heartbeat.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #186: January 17, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
Yeah, that would be an amazing first year from Carter.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #187: January 17, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
Probably what should be expected though. That's a top 10 position player rookie season and he's a top 10 position player rookie. Obviously he had a really bad first look at the majors, but he doesn't have glaring holes that should make him uniquely struggle.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188: February 12, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
FG's top 100 - he's #21.

21. Carter Kieboom, SS, WSNVideo
Drafted: 1st Round, 2016 from Walton HS (GA) (WSN)
Age   22.4   Height   6′ 2″   Weight   190   Bat / Thr   R / R   FV   60
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit   Raw Power   Game Power   Run   Fielding   Throw
45/55   55/60   45/55   40/40   40/45   60/60
Not everyone think he’s a shortstop, but Kieboom has all-fields, 30-homer power and will be a fine second or third baseman if he isn’t.

If you’ve enjoyed watching Keston Hiura hit for the last year or so, you’ll enjoy Kieboom, whose hands work similarly in the box. The efficient loop they create as they accelerate through the hitting zone enables Kieboom to hook and lift stuff on the inner half, including breaking balls, and he’s especially adept at driving stuff away from him out to right. This is a special hitting talent who has performed up through Triple-A as a college-aged shortstop, and Anthony Rendon‘s departure opens the door for at-bats right away.

We don’t really like Kieboom at shortstop. He’s a little heavy-footed and his hands are below average. He’s arguably better-suited for second or third base, but one could argue he’s at least as good as Trea Turner is there right now (Kieboom has worse range but can make more throws), so the short- and long-term fit here may be different. Regardless of the defensive home, Kieboom projects as a middle of the order bat with All-Star talent.

Online Slateman

« Reply #189: February 12, 2020, 05:16:33 PM »
Still think he might end up in the outfield or at first base

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #190: February 12, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »

I thought you were putting Soto there.

Online Slateman

« Reply #191: February 12, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »
I thought you were putting Soto there.

Might have to do that too. Keiboom's bat is gonna play. But if hes garbage at first, they're going to have to move him somewhere. Maybe to first. Maybe to RF.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: February 13, 2020, 09:40:40 AM »
Kieboom is a 40 on speed, 40/45 on fielding, and 60 on arm.  Sounds like a corner OF if 3d doesn't work. I wonder is that 40 fielding is as a SS.  Raters seem to think he can handle 3d or 2d.  The Garcia write up also suggests he may have to move off SS to 2d. 

Online imref

« Reply #193: February 13, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
Kieboom is a 40 on speed, 40/45 on fielding, and 60 on arm.  Sounds like a corner OF if 3d doesn't work. I wonder is that 40 fielding is as a SS.  Raters seem to think he can handle 3d or 2d.  The Garcia write up also suggests he may have to move off SS to 2d. 

Kieboom could be the key to our season.  If he can handle 3B and put up decent numbers, we could make another run.

Online Slateman

« Reply #194: February 13, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »
He reminds me of Castellanos. We have the time to get him to work on his defense, but if he cant play the defense, his bat is going to push to put him in the lineup ASAP.

The defense rating depends on range. His range is limited.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #195: February 13, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »

I don't see 2B working well for him.  I think 3B is his best bet.  The question there is his hands, and when you have a guy who hasn't played much corner IF sometimes the only way to see if he's got the hands for it is to put him there and see what happens.

Haven't seen enough of Garcia to have much of an opinion on him. 

He reminds me of Castellanos. We have the time to get him to work on his defense, but if he cant play the defense, his bat is going to push to put him in the lineup ASAP.

The defense rating depends on range. His range is limited.

Not the worst comp.   I was in the RF bleachers at an A's game a couple years ago when Castellanos was playing RF.  The fans were giving it to him, and some dude was telling him he could play outfield better than Castellanos.   After about three innings of it, the response he got was a laughing, but less polite version of "Yeah?  How you gonna look hitting third?"

The 1990s version of this was Jeff Kent.  He eventually managed 2B adequately, but the point is that when dudes can hit you find a place, even if it looks like Castellanos does in right.   

Offline RD

« Reply #196: February 13, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »
I think guys here are way too hard on Kiebooms D. I'm not making any argument of him sticking at short. But, hes been an infielder his whole life and everyone says he projects well at 2b or 3b. He stayed at short basically his entire minor league career. Someone like Castellanos was moved off short immediately in pro ball and played poorly at 3rd and OF. Everyone questioned his defensive ability and where he'd end up. Nobody questions Kieboom as an infielder. He may not be a gold glover, but hes not an all bat, no glove guy. Hes going to be fine at 3rd in the big league level, as long as he hits.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #197: February 14, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
I think guys here are way too hard on Kiebooms D. I'm not making any argument of him sticking at short. But, hes been an infielder his whole life and everyone says he projects well at 2b or 3b. He stayed at short basically his entire minor league career. Someone like Castellanos was moved off short immediately in pro ball and played poorly at 3rd and OF. Everyone questioned his defensive ability and where he'd end up. Nobody questions Kieboom as an infielder. He may not be a gold glover, but hes not an all bat, no glove guy. Hes going to be fine at 3rd in the big league level, as long as he hits.
This!

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #198: February 21, 2020, 08:03:22 PM »
On MLB Tonight this evening, Jonathan Mayo of MLBpipeline.com stated that Kieboom is "a very good defender at 3rd".  He says he has the arm and the hands to be a plus defender at 3rd, and that it's just a matter of him getting used to a new position.  He believes that "even if it's not on Opening Day, at some point in time he'll make a major impact at 3rd" for the Nationals in 2020. 

Online imref

« Reply #199: August 10, 2020, 05:29:18 PM »
Locked as he's a big leaguer now