Poll

Should baseball start using technology to make balls and strikes calls?

Yes.
22 (62.9%)
No.
10 (28.6%)
Maybe (... explain)
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Automated strike zone?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Automated strike zone?
« Reply #25: May 16, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
I like the idea of a tone in the ear of the ump on balls, and a different tone on balls on the edge. Let him decide if the close ones were close enough.  I think replays are introducing too much dead time into he game.

I would also give a manager five seconds to decide if he wants a replay on what he now gets as much time as he wants to decide. No ducking in the clubhouse or watching replays.

I voted yes but I actually like a hybrid system where a manager can challenge a certain number of ball and strike calls per game and that number is all they get regardless of whether they get the challenge right or wrong.  I wouldn't want to lose the ump yelling the call after every pitch or the punch out motion or any of the charm that those calls give to the game.  But it is important to get the calls right in high leverage situations.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: May 16, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
I doubt umps would want a tone, it would make it beyond easy to investigate any claim of bias (and fire umps)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #27: May 16, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
I hope that someday it won't matter what they want. MLB will tell them.  :shrug:

I doubt umps would want a tone, it would make it beyond easy to investigate any claim of bias (and fire umps)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #28: May 16, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »
No to a tone or other half measures, let the computer decide ball and strike calls instantly and put the result on the jumbotron. No more running feuds between players and umps over calls.

Replay should be limited to ten calls per team per year, only counting against them if it is a wrong call. This will limit replay to clear cut cases where the manager is certain a mistake has been made.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #29: May 16, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »
Technology invevitably fails. You need a backup. That would be the live ump behind home plate that's been being trained by tones, like a pigeon being trained to peck. :D

No to a tone or other half measures, let the computer decide ball and strike calls instantly and put the result on the jumbotron. No more running feuds between players and umps over calls.

Replay should be limited to ten calls per team per year, only counting against them if it is a wrong call. This will limit replay to clear cut cases where the manager is certain a mistake has been made.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: May 16, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
Technology invevitably fails. You need a backup. That would be the live ump behind home plate that's been being trained by tones, like a pigeon being trained to peck. :D

Maybe after spending a few years learning the zone by watching pitch track make the calls the umps will be better qualified to fill in for a few innings if the system goes down.

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
« Reply #31: May 16, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
Technology invevitably fails. You need a backup.

I mostly dismiss this, but not completely.

There could come a point in a game where the home plate ump and/or both managers become persuaded that the system is not functioning correctly. In that instance only, and either by virtue of the crew chief's decision or by virtue of both managers agreeing that they want the home plate ump to make the rest of the calls for that game, I'd have that provision.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: May 16, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »

Angel Hernandez regularly fails, mlb has no problem
Letting him call balls and strikes

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: May 16, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
So how long before someone figures out how to hack the auto-umpire?

You know, I would support this if the auto-umpire were an inflatable like the auto-pilot in Airplane.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #34: May 16, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »
We've seen the replay feed go down in Nats games twice this year. Lights out at least twice last year in Nats Park, IIRC.

Hell, they abandoned the clock altogether. :D

I mostly dismiss this, but not completely.

There could come a point in a game where the home plate ump and/or both managers become persuaded that the system is not functioning correctly. In that instance only, and either by virtue of the crew chief's decision or by virtue of both managers agreeing that they want the home plate ump to make the rest of the calls for that game, I'd have that provision.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #35: May 16, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »
So how long before someone figures out how to hack the auto-umpire?

You know, I would support this if the auto-umpire were an inflatable like the auto-pilot in Airplane.

You mean Otto? I could go for that compromise... hehe...  ;)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #36: May 16, 2016, 09:39:34 PM »
You mean Otto? I could go for that compromise... hehe...  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

THAT would make baseball fun again. :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #37: May 16, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
We've seen the replay feed go down in Nats games twice this year. Lights out at least twice last year in Nats Park, IIRC.

Hell, they abandoned the clock altogether. :D

I was at the game when the lights went out and they called the game   ...   most peculiar.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #38: May 19, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
I'm in favor of the tones as well. Just mandate the ump has to actually make the call the tone gives him, rather than judge it. The ump is there in case the thing goes down, he still gets to call out in his way, so visually / audibly it's no different - it just means we're watching the teams play rather than a three sided affair with one side a set of biased judges.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: May 19, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »
I'm in favor of the tones as well. Just mandate the ump has to actually make the call the tone gives him, rather than judge it. The ump is there in case the thing goes down, he still gets to call out in his way, so visually / audibly it's no different - it just means we're watching the teams play rather than a three sided affair with one side a set of biased judges.

The union is gonna fight this.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #40: May 19, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
Mind you, I've never ump-ed a real game (ie, organized) other than little league, but in practice, I'd be the guy who would hear the tone, and given that the computer and I agree 90% or better of the time, I'd still call whatever the computer called... just out of reflex. But maybe that's just me and the limitations of my brain.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #41: May 19, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »
The union is gonna fight this.

Let em strike. They'll literally hand the job to the machine if they do :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: May 19, 2016, 03:58:55 PM »
Let em strike. They'll literally hand the job to the machine if they do :)

I don't know.    It could get crazy if the other unions get involved.    I'd kind of look forward to all that.  :mg:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #43: May 19, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »
I don't know.    It could get crazy if the other unions get involved.    I'd kind of look forward to all that.  :mg:
That would be crazy.

The Umpire union is literally like 75 guys. Who all make well into the high 6 figures.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: May 19, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
That would be crazy.

The Umpire union is literally like 75 guys. Who all make well into the high 6 figures.

These are crazy times.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: May 19, 2016, 10:05:49 PM »
That would be crazy.

No one is walking out in solidarity with the Verizon union who are fighting to not be replaced by contractors, so I doubt anyone would stand with the umps

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: May 19, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
No one is walking out in solidarity with the Verizon union who are fighting to not be replaced by contractors, so I doubt anyone would stand with the umps

I heard a commercial today that Verizon is hiring part timers to "replace" the strikers.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #47: May 20, 2016, 06:34:44 AM »
Which is what MLB would do if the umps strike

I heard a commercial today that Verizon is hiring part timers to "replace" the strikers.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #48: May 20, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »
Which is what MLB would do if the umps strike

Reagan ruined everything.     :stir:

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #49: August 20, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
The consensus is that it's inevitable.

But, like HMC to eliminate the inherent unfairness of different rules/different leagues, one wonders what's keeping us from doing this immediately(?). Both have been road tested, both do nothing but improve the game.