Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams (2016)  (Read 36559 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Following the Minor League Teams (2016)
« Reply #50: April 28, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »
Suns have Cal Ripken and Mariano Rivero's sons (Ryan and Mariano), while rival Tennessee Smokies feature Bucky Dent's son Ryan.

Ripken's only hitting .222  .246 .203 .469, but Rivero has only given up 1 run and 7 hits (though 6 walks vs 6 KO) in 13 innings, ERA 0.69.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #51: April 28, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
Suns have Cal Ripken and Mariano Rivero's sons (Ryan and Mariano), while rival Tennessee Smokies feature Bucky Dent's son Ryan.

Ripken's only hitting .222  .246 .203 .469, but Rivero has only given up 1 run and 7 hits (though 6 walks vs 6 KO) in 13 innings, ERA 0.69.

Cody Dent plays for Potomac.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #52: April 29, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
Cody Dent plays for Potomac.

Cool.  I caught Jageler giving a bit of a minor league rundown and he mentioned all 3 on the Nats, but when I looked up Dent I found Ryan had played against the Suns and decided I had heard him wrong (tuned in mid-report). 

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #53: May 18, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »
Reynaldo Lopez has his mojo back. Harper with the big time save.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2016_05_18_haraax_eswaax_1&t=g_box&did=milb&sid=t547

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: May 18, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
Reynaldo Lopez has his mojo back. Harper with the big time save.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2016_05_18_haraax_eswaax_1&t=g_box&did=milb&sid=t547
I like Lopez. Lots of hop in that fastball. If he cant develop a third pitch to the bull pen. In fact bringing him up later this year for relief duty seems a perfect fit.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #55: May 18, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
I like Lopez. Lots of hop in that fastball. If he cant develop a third pitch to the bull pen. In fact bringing him up later this year for relief duty seems a perfect fit.

Could very well happen. I think he'll start till end, though.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #56: May 18, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
How about Harper?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #57: May 18, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
How about Harper?

Doesn't have the stuff, but he's been effective the last two seasons, that's for sure.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #58: June 06, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »
Jaron Long, a guy they signed from the Yankees this offseason, was just promoted to AAA. He's had a great season and is only 24. Haven't seen a scouting report, but the numbers have taken a dramatic shift. https://harrisburgsenatorsmlb.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/senators-roster-moves-harper-and-long-promoted/

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #59: June 13, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
Should see a GCL roster once some guys sign. Interested to see which int'l guys make the jump this year. Hoping Soto does.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #60: June 27, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
syracuse releases Scott Sizemore, Tony Campana and Juan Gutierrez to make room for the new arrivals. 

Offline imref

« Reply #61: June 27, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
Recap of all today's moves:

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=12674

Offline imref

« Reply #62: June 27, 2016, 09:57:35 PM »
Robles and Schrock batted 1-2 and each went 2-4 tonight for Potomac.  Paps started and threw perfect inning with 1k.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #63: June 28, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
Didn't see the GCL roster posted. http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?cid=466

Kieboom, Juan Soto, Anderson Franco, Conner Simonetti are the big ones.

Offline imref

« Reply #64: June 29, 2016, 12:55:53 PM »
Turner and Goodwin named to the International League All Star roster.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #65: June 29, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
Turner and Goodwin named to the International League All Star roster.

:clap: congrats to both! Well deserved!

Offline Mr Clean

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #67: July 05, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
Harrisburg gets one hit, and still wins 1-0

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: July 10, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
I'm at the Pfitz tonight. PNats rocking their Happy Gilmore jerseys.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: July 11, 2016, 08:47:41 AM »
I'm at the Pfitz tonight. PNats rocking their Happy Gilmore jerseys.

The PNats lost last evening 8-7 to the Carolina Mudcats.  The P-Nats started slowly--apparently weighed down by the ugly Boston Bruins like jerseys they wore in honor of the 20th anniversary of Happy Gilmore.  They badly clashed with their Red PNats hats.  They came back from an 8-3 deficit but fell short.  Some observations:

-- Victor Robles was 1-5; he is batting about .200 so struggling.  He did steal two bases. Had a nice throw to second base from the outfield--arm looks strong.

-- Max Schlock went 2-5 and his average dropped to .450.  They brought in a lefty reliever in his last at bat who baffled him with breaking balls so he still has some work to do despite the high average.

-- Osvaldo Abreu did nothing of note at the plate and had no difficult chances in the field.  He is batting about .230.

-- Alec Keller made the Carolina League all star team and looks like a player--had a two hits including a two run double. Richmond kid.

-- Austin Davidson was just called up and had his first High A ball hit: a three run triple!  Welcome to High A ball.

-- Whit Mayberry started his third game.  As MDS would say he was pounded like a $2 whore.  Did not see any stats for him at other levels this year and he was in the Tigers organization before this year.  Did not see anything on how we picked him up.  Played at UVA.  Looks like organizational fodder.

-- There must always be a Trey (or Trea) so Trey Lambert pitched.  Believe he just came up from Hagerstown.  Picked off a runner at first.  Gave up a run and three hits in two innings.  Wasn't super impressed with his stuff but really, what do I know?  Another VA kid.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #70: July 11, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »
Nice, thanks for sharing! I was hoping I could get down to the game tonight, but don't think it'll happen

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: July 11, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »
Nice, thanks for sharing! I was hoping I could get down to the game tonight, but don't think it'll happen
No problem. That's too bad you can't make it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #72: July 11, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
The PNats lost last evening 8-7 to the Carolina Mudcats.  The P-Nats started slowly--apparently weighed down by the ugly Boston Bruins like jerseys they wore in honor of the 20th anniversary of Happy Gilmore.  They badly clashed with their Red PNats hats.  They came back from an 8-3 deficit but fell short.  Some observations:

-- Victor Robles was 1-5; he is batting about .200 so struggling.  He did steal two bases. Had a nice throw to second base from the outfield--arm looks strong.

-- Max Schlock went 2-5 and his average dropped to .450.  They brought in a lefty reliever in his last at bat who baffled him with breaking balls so he still has some work to do despite the high average.

-- Osvaldo Abreu did nothing of note at the plate and had no difficult chances in the field.  He is batting about .230.

-- Alec Keller made the Carolina League all star team and looks like a player--had a two hits including a two run double. Richmond kid.

-- Austin Davidson was just called up and had his first High A ball hit: a three run triple!  Welcome to High A ball.

-- Whit Mayberry started his third game.  As MDS would say he was pounded like a $2 whore.  Did not see any stats for him at other levels this year and he was in the Tigers organization before this year.  Did not see anything on how we picked him up.  Played at UVA.  Looks like organizational fodder.

-- There must always be a Trey (or Trea) so Trey Lambert pitched.  Believe he just came up from Hagerstown.  Picked off a runner at first.  Gave up a run and three hits in two innings.  Wasn't super impressed with his stuff but really, what do I know?  Another VA kid.

Piggybacking off your post, I attended Saturday's 6-5 loss to the Mudcats.  Without Happy Gilmore jerseys, the P-Nats were nonetheless encumbered by something, and failed to take advantage of numerous Carolina defensive issues (including six errors and an inability to hold baserunners) to lose.  A few notes, in the same format as above.

-- Robles went 0-5 and REALLY needs to stop reading his own press clippings.  He has an extremely overconfident manner, especially given the results.  Here are the results: his first at bat, he tried to bunt for a hit and popped it up to the third baseman.  His second, he hit a hard line drive on an early-count fastball (good fastballs; probably 94-95) right at the 3B, who reached up and got it to prevent it going to the corner.  Third PA he bunted very hard at the 3B into a forceout.  Fourth, he grounded another early-count fastball right at the 3B, who booted it.  His last time up he got sliders and looked completely hopeless against them.

He is fast - very fast - but is not a good baserunner.  He was saved getting thrown out at third for the third out only by an extremely weak arm in center. He did steal a base, but that was not really a big deal on this night - the team stole 5, and the one he stole was the second-closest of the plays.  He then got thrown out stealing third but still managed to slide too late and spike the 3B with both feet.   He had successfully made a real pest of himself on second, so there was some good there.

He was an absolute disaster on defense.  He does have speed and a good arm, but he twice broke in on balls that ended up being deeper than he had started.  One he ran down.  The second turned out to be the game-winning hit, a 2-out double over his head in CF that had plenty of air under it and landed short of the warning track.  He also badly misplayed a carom off the wall - the LF was chasing the ball to the wall.  Instead of backing 15 feet off the wall to play the carom, Robles stood about 5 feet from him and they both got to chase the ball back towards the infield as the runners continued on their merry ways.

He can hit fastballs, yes, and he's clearly a great athlete, but he also has an awful lot to learn.  That was the single worst defensive performance I've ever seen from a high-A centerfielder (not a tremendously small sample, either).  Not lack of ability, fortunately, but he literally looked like a guy who had about 10 games of outfield under his belt. His defense lost the game.

--Schrock is very small (5'8" might be generous), but he's fairly powerfully built and has what looks like a gap-power swing now with more potential.  First time up, he absolutely hammered a fastball to RF that got out in a hurry, clearing the wall by 5-6 feet on a line.  Decent speed, adequate to above-average at 2B based on just a couple plays.  Had a second hit, a single on an off-speed pitch.  Didn't see him against same-side breaking balls.

--Ditto what natsinpwc said on Keller.  He DHed.  Nice swing, good speed, obviously nothing to say about defense. 

--Marmolejos is a DH.  He does not look to be able to play 1B capably, although he was still streets ahead of his opposite number in that department. 

--Not much to say about the pitchers in that game: none of them appear to have MLB stuff in their current roles.  Matthew Crownover, a lefty who started, was a very good college pitcher who just doesn't have quite enough of anything to be a starter as a pro.  If he adds a couple ticks if used in relief, that might work for him.  He's fairly small (5'11", listed at 205 and looks a lot more like 180), but his breaking stuff looks pretty solid.  He was struggling for control but was effective when he had it.  Gilberto Mendez, the only righthander who pitched, was effective and has good numbers, but to be honest I can't really see why.  The less said about the rest, the better.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #73: July 12, 2016, 12:36:55 AM »
Going to write-off those as bad games for Robles, but thanks for the notes. Surprised on the bunt attempts. Odd. Wonder if he has free reign on his ABs... hit a dinger tonight. Same for Crownover. His stats weren't looking that bad, so I thought he might be an interesting guy to follow.

Offline imref

« Reply #74: July 12, 2016, 01:05:35 AM »
Nick Masset has retired, was pitching for Syracuse.