Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams (2016)  (Read 36772 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Following the Minor League Teams (2016)
« Reply #100: September 16, 2016, 12:25:42 AM »
PEDRO AVILA
Hagerstown Suns – RHP – (Washington Nationals – Class-A)
5’11”/170, Age 19

It seemed as if Anderson Espinoza and the Greenville Drive roster took some initial attention away from Pedro Avila and the monster roster that the Hagerstown Suns started the season with. Avila put up some eye-popping stats as an 18-year-old in the Dominican Summer League in 2015, with 87 K in 59.2 IP. Before he was shut down in early August with an undisclosed injury, he had struck out nearly a batter an inning with a 3.48 ERA. When you consider his age and the competition he was up against, I believe he’s going to shoot up prospect boards this offseason. In 14 of his 20 starts this year he went at least 5 innings, and 13 of those 14 he allowed less than 3 ER. 2017 should bring a chance to debut for Potomac in the Carolina League, and give him an opportunity to shoot up prospect lists even further.

ANDREW LEE
Hagerstown Suns – RHP – (Washington Nationals Class-A)
6’5”/225, Age 22

If not for an early season injury that limited him to just 11 starts in 2016, I feel Andrew Lee would be on many end of season top 100 lists. Lee was a star for the Tennessee Vols on the mound and at the plate, where he slugged nine homers in his junior year. The 11th round pick quickly proved that the Nats picked the right position for him, carrying a 0.34 ERA into the last start of 2015. This year’s stats don’t necessarily tell the full story for Lee as an 8 ER outing against Lakewood poisoned the batch. In the other ten starts, he was downright dominant, although slightly age-advanced for the Sally League. Unlike some of the other prospects I feature whose ceilings lie as mid-performers in the bigs, Lee has true top-tier potential. Scouts might want to see some improvement in his consistency, but sometimes you need to be a bit more patient with a guy transitioning to focusing on just one position. Ideally, we’ll see him get 25 starts under his belt this year, most likely starting at High-A Potomac. As long as Andrew can stay healthy, he could post a 2017 stat line as vulgar as your favorite Billy Ripken card. White-out, what did you think I was talking about?

http://www.baseballranks.com/2016/09/15/5-deep-pitchers-that-may-shoot-up-the-rankings-in-2017/

Never heard of these guys