Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Juan Soto, OF  (Read 18636 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline NJ Ave

Re: Follow the Prospects: Juan Soto, OF
« Reply #101: April 13, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
Ummm, Juan Soto guys.

Currently .393/.526/.929 with 3 HR and 16 RBI in 8 games.

Offline imref

« Reply #102: April 13, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »
Ummm, Juan Soto guys.

Currently .393/.526/.929 with 3 HR and 16 RBI in 8 games.

he's lost in the shadow of Robles.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #103: April 13, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
he's lost in the shadow of Robles.

He might hit his way out of that shadow :) Would not be shocked if he was in Harrisburg at the end of the year. Also has 2 triples and 2 SB, although everyone is projecting him to be a 40 runner. So even though he's slow, hopefully he's one of those slow-but-good baserunners like a Ryan Zimmerman.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #104: April 13, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
He might hit his way out of that shadow :) Would not be shocked if he was in Harrisburg at the end of the year. Also has 2 triples and 2 SB, although everyone is projecting him to be a 40 runner. So even though he's slow, hopefully he's one of those slow-but-good baserunners like a Ryan Zimmerman.

I'm going to Hagerstown's game tomorrow, so hopefully I can answer that last thought, at least in part.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #105: April 13, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
I was at the game in spring training when Soto went 2 for 4 with a home run. One of the times he got out he hit a shot down the left field line just foul. Very impressive.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #106: April 14, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
With MAT struggling and Eaton hurt...wouldn't mind bringing him up and giving him a taste. Robles is hurt after all.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #107: April 14, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »
With MAT struggling and Eaton hurt...wouldn't mind bringing him up and giving him a taste. Robles is hurt after all.

Last night at the game, we had a discussion of MAT's struggles if Robles hadn't been hurt.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108: April 22, 2018, 07:07:47 PM »
Update from MLB.com

“Through 15 games, the 19-year-old outfielder is slashing .389/.507/.870 with 13 extra-base hits, 24 RBIs and more walks (15) than strikeouts (11).”

http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1962236283

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #109: April 22, 2018, 07:50:36 PM »
Update from MLB.com

“Through 15 games, the 19-year-old outfielder is slashing .389/.507/.870 with 13 extra-base hits, 24 RBIs and more walks (15) than strikeouts (11).”

http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1962236283

I'm going out on a limb to say mid-season top 10. I think that the fact he (apparently) came into camp in better shape, and is consequently moving better on the bases and in RF, will be a really good sign for all the scouts.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #110: April 23, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
I'm going out on a limb to say mid-season top 10. I think that the fact he (apparently) came into camp in better shape, and is consequently moving better on the bases and in RF, will be a really good sign for all the scouts.

I saw Hagerstown's game the same day I saw the P-Nats in Frederick.  Soto had a middling day until ending the game with a walkoff line drive (would have been a double if they'd bothered) over the LF's head.  He is indeed moving better, especially laterally in RF.  He now looks like his problem sticking in RF would be arm rather than range, which means LF is the likely fallback as opposed to 1B.  The turn and acceleration is much better than it was and he got to a couple balls that I don't think he would have in the past.  I don't think he looks smaller, so it may just be a bit of fat to muscle (which is good; he's not actually that big a guy).   

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #111: April 23, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »
Just got promoted to Potomac.

Offline RD

« Reply #112: May 03, 2018, 10:33:38 PM »
Just got promoted to Potomac.

And continues to rake. Hit 2 bombs today, giving him 4 in 9 games at Potomac. 8 walks to just 2 K’s.

9 home runs, 20extra base hits and 22/15 B.B./k ratio in in 25 games this year.

Makes you wonder just where he’d be right now if he didn’t miss most of last year.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #113: May 04, 2018, 05:55:14 AM »
And continues to rake. Hit 2 bombs today, giving him 4 in 9 games at Potomac. 8 walks to just 2 K’s.

9 home runs, 20extra base hits and 22/15 B.B./k ratio in in 25 games this year.

Makes you wonder just where he’d be right now if he didn’t miss most of last year.

I assume it he wasn’t already untouchable in trade talks he is now. He looks like an Acuna/Vlad Jr. level monster.

Offline imref

« Reply #114: May 04, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
Here’s soto destroying a poor helpless baseball the other day at Potomac:

https://twitter.com/natsgmdotcom/status/992181592897540097?s=21

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #115: May 04, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »
I assume it he wasn’t already untouchable in trade talks he is now. He looks like an Acuna/Vlad Jr. level monster.

Agree. I'd be very surprised if he's not a top 10 prospect when mid-season rankings come out.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #116: May 04, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
He's just practicing protecting Rendon in the lineup.

In the third, Soto lined a single to right and eventually scored on a two-RBI double by Jake Noll. But with the rehabbing Anthony Rendon on second base when the 19-year-old delivered his base knock, Keister was forced to confront what he called his "worst nightmare" of potentially having a rehabbing player in a close play at home plate. Coaching third, the skipper gave the Major Leaguer the stop sign.

"My whole thing was like, 'I'm holding Anthony up the whole time.'" Keister said with a laugh. "I'm like 'Oh my gosh, that's the last thing I need. I'll be fired before the game's over if there's a play at the plate.'"
At present, Soto's providing lineup protection for Rendon, one of the Majors' most dangerous hitters who is currently rehabbing a toe contusion. He batted third in the order -- one spot ahead of Soto -- and went 2-for-4 with a run.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/the-force-is-with-young-juan-soto-potomac-nationals/c-275139756?tcid=tw_article_275139756

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #118: May 05, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »
Rendon said about Soto... "The man is the truth"

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #119: May 05, 2018, 08:36:54 AM »
If they re-sign Bryce, then when Zim retires, Bryce can move to 1B and your outfield becomes Soto, Robles and Taylor or Eaton. That would be magical.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #120: May 05, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »
If they re-sign Bryce, then when Zim retires, Bryce can move to 1B and your outfield becomes Soto, Robles and Taylor or Eaton. That would be magical.
I'm just not seeing Taylor as anything more than a defensive replacement.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #121: May 05, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »
I'm just not seeing Taylor as anything more than a defensive replacement.

Honestly, *if* Soto continues to develop on his current trajectory and you have Harper, Robles, and the current form of Turner, you can afford to lose a little offensive output in exchange for Taylor’s defense.. This is all conjecture and doesn’t get into the bigger question of whether Eaton will ever be healthy again, but the more important part is the idea of converting Bryce to 1B to take advantage of all this developing OF talent (don’t forget there’s Daniel Johnson on the way too), if Bryce wants to stick around.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #122: May 05, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Honestly, *if* Soto continues to develop on his current trajectory and you have Harper, Robles, and the current form of Turner, you can afford to lose a little offensive output in exchange for Taylor’s defense.. This is all conjecture and doesn’t get into the bigger question of whether Eaton will ever be healthy again, but the more important part is the idea of converting Bryce to 1B to take advantage of all this developing OF talent (don’t forget there’s Daniel Johnson on the way too), if Bryce wants to stick around.
OK, I like the idea of Harp at 1B with Rendon, Turner and who at 2B  (FA). Please don't tell me Kieboom. An outfield of Soto , Robles and Eaton in RF would be wonderful backed up by Taylor  , Goodwin.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #123: May 05, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »
Difo at 2b

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #124: May 06, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »

Even with some projection, Soto would be pretty clearly the worst defensive OF of all those guys unless Royce runs into walls at a rate of 1 a week.  He'd have both the worst range and the worst arm (by quite a lot in the latter case).   I think he can play OF, but I don't think he'd be anything but average in LF or below-average in RF.   If the concern is to prevent Harper from running into walls, fine, but putting him at 1B wastes his best defensive tool.