Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Juan Soto, OF  (Read 18634 times)

Offline Glockypoo

Re: Follow the Prospects: Juan Soto, OF
« Reply #25: September 02, 2016, 09:22:44 AM »
Got called up to Auburn today. Odd timing, but he just got a RBI

Have to think he's going to end up inside most top 10 Nats prospects lists.

He was already 15 on mlb.com: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=was

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #26: September 02, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
Have to think he's going to end up inside most top 10 Nats prospects lists.

He was already 15 on mlb.com: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=was

Serious power. He'll be a riser, especially if Giolito or Lopez (and Turner of course) fall off the prospect listing. Still think both Lito and Lopez will be rookie eligible next season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: September 02, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
Serious power. He'll be a riser, especially if Giolito or Lopez (and Turner of course) fall off the prospect listing. Still think both Lito and Lopez will be rookie eligible next season.
Is it 50 IP?  Lopez is at 25.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #28: September 02, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
Is it 50 IP?  Lopez is at 25.

Yeah. That'd be 3-4 starts for Lopez. Doubt it.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #29: September 02, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
Got called up to Auburn today. Odd timing, but he just got a RBI

The GCL season is over, so he's getting a cup off coffee at Auburn before likely being ticketed for Hagerstown next season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #30: September 02, 2016, 05:31:52 PM »
The GCL season is over, so he's getting a cup off coffee at Auburn before likely being ticketed for Hagerstown next season.

I get it. Auburn's season is over soon though too.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #31: September 13, 2016, 07:30:16 PM »
Soto named the GCL MVP for the year. He'll be a riser for sure.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #32: September 25, 2016, 01:29:42 AM »
From BA's chat:

Ben (DC): Juan Soto - Future top prospect?

Ben Badler: He’s already highly regarded in the scouting community and might break into the Top 100 this year. I’m writing up our Gulf Coast League prospects list this year, so I’ve talked to a lot of people about Juan Soto, and I haven’t heard a bad word yet about him as a hitter.

Tom (Philly): Potential of Juan Soto? Eloy Jimenez Potential?

Ben Badler: Soto’s a better hitter already than Eloy was at the same age. That doesn’t mean that in two years he’s necessarily going to be the same level prospect that Eloy is now, but you can’t ask for too much more from a 17-year-old hitter between his swing, approach and emerging power.

Wow. The Nats' scouting of international players has improved by leaps and bounds. It'll be exciting to see if Soto starts his season off at Hagerstown next year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-chat-17/#O4Su6uFEUYEJ5YXE.99

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #33: April 18, 2017, 10:28:12 AM »
Soto has only 3 Ks in his first 49 plate appearances at low A.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-417-and-418/

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #34: April 18, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
Soto has only 3 Ks in his first 49 plate appearances at low A.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-417-and-418/
Beginning to feel there may be a high probability that he will be playing here by Sept 2018.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #35: April 18, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
Beginning to feel there may be a high probability that he will be playing here by Sept 2018.

or he's trade bait for a closer.  Our 2018 OF is likely Eaton/Robles/Harper.  If we manage to keep Harper, there's no spot for Soto for a while.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #36: April 19, 2017, 12:16:41 AM »
or he's trade bait for a closer.  Our 2018 OF is likely Eaton/Robles/Harper.  If we manage to keep Harper, there's no spot for Soto for a while.

Jake McGee so I can keep :az: for Soto

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #37: April 19, 2017, 12:23:28 AM »
i meant as a Sept call up. i am of firm belief that Harper is gone after next year.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #38: April 19, 2017, 01:35:13 AM »
i meant as a Sept call up. i am of firm belief that Harper is gone after next year.

you don't have much truconfidence do you??????

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #39: April 19, 2017, 06:08:42 AM »
you don't have much truconfidence do you??????
if he truly wants 40mil a year, i say let him go.  Cardinals did with Pujols and it worked out fine.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #40: April 23, 2017, 10:38:35 PM »
Soto is batting .400/.466/.554 through 17 games.  And still only 5 Ks in 65 ABs (73 PAs).   :az:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #41: April 24, 2017, 01:06:45 AM »
I was in Hagerstown yesterday. Soto was very impressive. Already a fan favorite there.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #42: April 24, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
dude's gonna be a top 30 prospect by the end of the year.  and be ready to start next year in AA as a 19 year-old.  I'm excited. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #43: April 24, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
dude's gonna be a top 30 prospect by the end of the year.  and be ready to start next year in AA as a 19 year-old.  I'm excited.

Deep breath.  He's 2 levels away from AA and he's not even 100 PAs into the season.  If he hits .300 with power in the Carolina League, sure, but we're a long way from that. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #44: April 24, 2017, 08:21:11 PM »
Deep breath.  He's 2 levels away from AA and he's not even 100 PAs into the season.  If he hits .300 with power in the Carolina League, sure, but we're a long way from that. 

he performed well last year too and he doesn't even turn 19 til October.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #45: April 24, 2017, 09:24:06 PM »
he performed well last year too and he doesn't even turn 19 til October.

Yes, but consider this: he's the age of a college freshman, playing against competition that's roughly equivalent to a fairly advanced D-I conference right now.  That's very good - not many college freshmen would hit .300-something with a wood bat - but once you jump up a level, it gets a lot tougher.  You start facing guys who actually have a bit of experience and much better pitching.  I don't know how many games you have seen at those levels, but the difference between the two is very apparent, and the difference between the Carolina League and AA even more so.  (Plus, he only played 51 games last year.  There's a big difference between game 110 and game 50.)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #46: April 24, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
Yes, but consider this: he's the age of a college freshman, playing against competition that's roughly equivalent to a fairly advanced D-I conference right now.  That's very good - not many college freshmen would hit .300-something with a wood bat - but once you jump up a level, it gets a lot tougher.  You start facing guys who actually have a bit of experience and much better pitching.  I don't know how many games you have seen at those levels, but the difference between the two is very apparent, and the difference between the Carolina League and AA even more so.  (Plus, he only played 51 games last year.  There's a big difference between game 110 and game 50.)

All I know is i'm confident he'll be good.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #47: April 27, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »

I was in Hagerstown yesterday. Soto was very impressive. Already a fan favorite there.

I went with my family to Hagerstown to see Harper years ago, and Robles last year.  Planning on going to see Soto soon.  It should be fun. 

Hopefully Robles and Soto will be future Nationals starters (stars).  Warm weather is coming, time to drink the  :koolaid:.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #48: April 27, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »

I went with my family to Hagerstown to see Harper years ago, and Robles last year.  Planning on going to see Soto soon.  It should be fun. 

Hopefully Robles and Soto will be future Nationals starters (stars).  Warm weather is coming, time to drink the  :koolaid:.

I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.  I don't want to die in some hellhole rainforest in Guyana.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #49: May 03, 2017, 09:40:09 AM »
The KATOH projection system at FanGraphs ranks Soto the #1 most improved hitting prospect of the year so far.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/katohs-most-improved-hitting-prospects-so-far/

"Soto destroyed the GCL last year, prompting the Nats to send him to full-season ball at the age of 18. An 18-year-old in the Sally League is noteworthy in and of itself. An 18-year-old striking out at a 9% clip while also hitting for some power is the stuff of a blue-chip prospect. If he continues to rake, he’ll likely be place highly on midseason lists."