Author Topic: The Big Dig  (Read 3788 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
The Big Dig
« Topic Start: January 24, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »
Startin' this thread so we can keep track of progress in one place.   Please feel free to post pictures.    So, what's your plan?

Lookin' out the window.    Hell, I was layin' in bed this morning wondering how I'm gonna attack this crap.    I love my neighbors but the sidewalk is stayin' covered.    I may even use it as a dumping area.    Front porch?     Forgettaboutit.    Gotta figure out a plan to clean the car/driveway and get access to an unplowed street in a townhouse development.    Good luck wit dat.    There's a "common area" across the street.    May have to walk the snow over one shovel load at a time.    We (surrounding neighbors) usually attack these problems en masse.    Well, here I go.    We're burnin' daylight.

Good luck to all.     

Offline 1995hoo

Re: The Big Dig
« Reply #1: January 24, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »
My big goal is to be done well in advance of the football games. I did my driveway yesterday, so I ought to be able to do it again using just the snowblower. Doubt I will mess with the sidewalk. Too much there due to mountains from driveways and the plows. I may clear the stoop so we can open the storm door, but I may not. Clearing the sewer/storm drains will be a higher priority than the stoop. Got to do the mailboxes too (we have the type where all the mailboxes are in one big metal thing midway up the block). I'm think about sending a neighborhood-wide e-mail asking everyone to pitch in on the storm drains and mailboxes.

The Iraqi across the street has been out ere for half an hour already. I need to eat before I do anything. Ms1995hoo is still in bed and is unlikely to help shovel since she hasn't been completely healthy the past week.

Another guy across the street dug a snow cave and I already see yellow snow next to it.

7:55 AM view out the front window:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: January 24, 2016, 08:46:05 AM »
Supposedly my HOA hired someone to do the sidewalks. I've seen them snow blow the side walks one time in the last 48 hours.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #3: January 24, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »
Supposedly my HOA hired someone to do the sidewalks. I've seen them snow blow the side walks one time in the last 48 hours.

Last time I saw a plow (HOA) was Friday at 2000.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: January 24, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
Haven't done anything yet; may do a little today after it warms up a bit.  Leg still hurting from the shingles.
Plan is to wait until tomorrow and Tuesday for most of the cleanup.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #5: January 24, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
Would be nice if MoCo sent a #@$%ing plow down the street. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #6: January 24, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
Would be nice if MoCo sent a #@$%ing plow down the street. 

I just e-mailed the HOA   ....   ain't even seen a plow since Friday.    However, it seems the streets with board members are clear.    Hmmmm, wonder how that works?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: January 24, 2016, 11:09:55 AM »
I just e-mailed the HOA   ....   ain't even seen a plow since Friday.    However, it seems the streets with board members are clear.    Hmmmm, wonder how that works?

Lake effect...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: January 24, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
There's a lot of equipment out in Crystal City.  I guess it is the BID that is paying for the walkways on Crystal Drive. OTOH, I'm not sure how much Vornado, Bainbridge, and the condos are putting in to clear the sidewalks on the residential portions. 

Was great to walk the underground last night coming back from the Pub.  I think I'm going to try to watch the 3 PM game there in my regular seat. I expect  a mob scene.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #9: January 24, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
Been out there for two hours 40 minutes. I think I'll be asleep early tonight.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: January 24, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
Wimps.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #11: January 24, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
All 80 feet cleared to the road. So much snow that the tractor/blade was unusable. #OneManOneShovel.

MoCo Snow Removal, where are you?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: January 24, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »
I wonder how many times I'm going to have to dig the entrance of my driveway out, as the plows cover it over and over again?

Guess I should be grateful we at least have been plowed this time.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #13: January 24, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »
[img[/]http://i.imgur.com/zrACCb4.jpg[/img]

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #14: January 24, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »
Wimps.

Hmm. Since I cleared the lady next door's driveway as well as our own and our stoop, plus the sewer opening, I have no issue with feeling tired.

Gonna help the guy two doors down dig out his car, but not until tomorrow. It's near another sewer opening, so he needs to dig it out before a pond forms.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: January 24, 2016, 01:27:21 PM »
Hmm. Since I cleared the lady next door's driveway as well as our own and our stoop, plus the sewer opening, I have no issue with feeling tired.

Gonna help the guy two doors down dig out his car, but not until tomorrow. It's near another sewer opening, so he needs to dig it out before a pond forms.

Be sure to stretch and hydrate.  The last time we had a significant snowfall I wound up "feeling fine" but tweaked my back and got IT band syndrome.  You definitely don't want the latter.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: January 24, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »
Wife broke out the wine. freak yessssss

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: January 24, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »

That's one of the "good" things about a storm like this.    Pitchin' in, diggin' everybody out and tasting what the neighbors' have in their flasks.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #18: January 24, 2016, 03:53:34 PM »
My wife whipped this up on the back deck...my oldest daughter dubbed him "Ice Harper."

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #19: January 24, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »
:clap:
My wife whipped this up on the back deck...my oldest daughter dubbed him "Ice Harper."

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #20: January 24, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
MoCo just closed schools for Tuesday, as did UMD. We won't see a plow until late Monday at the earliest.

I've packed it in and I'm drinking beer.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: January 24, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
MoCo just closed schools for Tuesday, as did UMD. We won't see a plow until late Monday at the earliest.

I've packed it in and I'm drinking beer.

Our neighbor piled all of his driveway snow up against our mailbox.  We won't get mail until spring now...

Just came back from a beer run myself...  ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #22: January 24, 2016, 03:59:35 PM »
"Came back"... you've been on the road?

Suddenly I feel like the great unwashed.

Our neighbor piled all of his driveway snow up against our mailbox.  We won't get mail until spring now...

Just came back from a beer run myself...  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #23: January 24, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
Did a little shoveling today and then the neighbor came over with their snowblower and cleared out the driveway to the street. Very neighborly of them. Will tackle the rest of the driveway and the cars Manana.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #24: January 24, 2016, 04:12:21 PM »

:thumbs:    Outstanding

We got most of the cars dug out.   Cleaned out many of the driveways.    Ran some 4 x 4's up and down the street.    Only problem is when the plow finally arrives, it's a whole new dig out.