Author Topic: How might have Cespedes fit with the Nationals?  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: How'd Cespedes fit with the Nationals?
« Reply #50: January 23, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »
Desmond...I hear he's pretty versatile...

The question was "anyone left to target" not "who will be working at Target".

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #51: January 23, 2016, 09:03:13 AM »
With us or against us?

Yes. You can't be a fan or both teams given they compete again each other. Not buying it.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #52: January 23, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »
I second removing this thread. It was a jinx anyway.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #53: January 23, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »
How would Cespedes have fit with the Nats? Poorly, I think. "Ben is going to be our center fielder," Dusty said. So where to put Yoenis? He's a much better fit in Flushing, and Flushing seems to be where he had his heart on staying, for whatever reasons.

"The Nats offered Cespedes five years for more than $100 million with a two-year opt-out and heavy deferrals, sources said. It was roughly the same deal that I suggested the Mets offer Cespedes earlier this week, but it turns out that they did not need to go nearly that far.

No, the Mets had a trump card that proved stronger even than they had probably anticipated.

Cespedes wanted to stay."

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/yoenis-cespedes-remains-with-the-new-york-mets-012216

And with that, I think we get a more interesting season next year. The Nats have the reigning MVP, the most electric position player in the game, along with a starting staff that has something to prove after a time of less-than-optimal performing. You're gonna like Murph, he's a player who leaves his blood on the field, even if sometimes you'll find yourselves rolling your eyes and groaning "Ohhhh, Murph..." when he has one of his patented vapor-locks.  And the Mets have their Young Guns and One Old Fat Fox, which should make for an interesting growth curve, assuming all stay healthy (a big assumption). And we all get to watch Bartolo at the plate, which is always a very special moment, and the single reason the NL should never adopt the DH.

You didn't need Cespedes, and you're fine without him. The late hot pursuit was a little peculiar to my ears, almost Steinbrenneresque. MUST THROW MONEY AT ALL AVAILABLE TALENT kind of thing. But that's admirable in its own right, in a way. The penny-pinching of the post-Madoff Wilpons has not been popular with the Mets fan base, to trade deeply in understatement. 

So in 2016 the Nats are (almost certainly) going to be pretty good, and the Mets are (almost certainly) going to be pretty good. Which should make for a lot of fun times at Citi Field and Nats Park. The battles and the wars of the long summer campaign captivate us all. May they be hard-fought and do credit to all involved, and give us a season to remember, for better or for worse.

I think this is pretty accurate. Cespedes would have helped the Nats replace either Werth or Zimmerman, who have had long stretches on the DL every season for about the last four years.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #54: January 23, 2016, 09:30:36 AM »
I think this is pretty accurate. Cespedes would have helped the Nats replace either Werth or Zimmerman, who have had long stretches on the DL every season for about the last four years.

And I bet one of those two will be on the DL opening day. Maybe both.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #55: January 23, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »
And I bet one of those two will be on the DL opening day. Maybe both.

I won't take that bet.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: January 23, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
When his performance slips this year as it undoubtedly will I hope Cespedes is ready for the boos. At least 25 million should comfort him.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #57: January 23, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »

:clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #58: January 23, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »

Ray does come up with the occasional good one.    :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #59: January 23, 2016, 11:48:55 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #60: January 23, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
That seems a little unkind. I wasn't trolling, I thought I offered a fairly neutral view, and I'm a Nats fan too, despite being based in New York. Is everything black and white? With us or against us? Are we not fans of the game itself first?

Chritter - your posts are  welcome.  you don't taunt or troll.  Even the character known here as "Exposfan87" can post in character.  I'm half expecting a post comparing this to the failure to bring back Marquis Grissom or Larry  Walker when they became FAs after they left.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: How might have Cespedes fit with the Nationals?
« Reply #61: January 23, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
one more edit to the title.  How'd you like them apples?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #62: January 23, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »
Whytev was predicting the occasional outbreak of troll-dome. I thought your post was neutral.

That seems a little unkind. I wasn't trolling, I thought I offered a fairly neutral view, and I'm a Nats fan too, despite being based in New York. Is everything black and white? With us or against us? Are we not fans of the game itself first?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #63: January 23, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

Welcome.     We're all a little cranky what with the snow and now the Cespedes thing.    Don't take it personally.    Of course, some of us are cranky all the time.      :old:

Offline whytev

« Reply #64: January 23, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

You're cool. Most of your buddies are not.

Offline whytev

« Reply #65: January 23, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »
Chritter - your posts are  welcome.  you don't taunt or troll.  Even the character known here as "Exposfan87" can post in character.  I'm half expecting a post comparing this to the failure to bring back Marquis Grissom or Larry  Walker when they became FAs after they left.

Grissom was traded before he got to that point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: January 23, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »
Grissom was traded before he got to that point.
2002, long after he left the Expos, he was a free agent.  went to the giants. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #67: January 23, 2016, 07:08:20 PM »
2002, long after he left the Expos, he was a free agent.  went to the giants.

Right, of course.

Offline chritter

« Reply #68: January 24, 2016, 03:21:59 AM »

Hahaha, thanks. I understand the concern and appreciate the ear. If Mets fans are jerks here, they're no friends of mine. You'd think a decade of futility would inculcate a little sense of humility and a broader understanding of the long dynamics of the game.  I'm an NL fan. I root for the Mets, they're my team. But in the years when the Mets were David Wright and his Merrie Band of Has-Beens, Never-Weres and Triple-A Rejects, I rooted for the Nats in the playoffs. The first game I ever saw in person was a Washington Senators game, when Ted Williams was managing, so I have a soft spot for D.C. baseball. I rooted for the Cubbies all this year. The NLCS was actually a painful experience for me, because I wanted a way for both teams to win.

But Larry Walker? Man, that was a huge mistake. :P

Offline chritter

« Reply #69: January 24, 2016, 03:43:44 AM »
You're cool. Most of your buddies are not.

I hear ya. But that means they're not my buddies. There's certainly a place in sports fandom for a bit of friendly razzing among friends. There's no place for being a jerk or a troll.

When Thomas Boswell tweeted last July "Mets: RIP. That's in 1K tie for Worst "L" Ever. -3 games. Fun team. Ain't gonna happen. Don't trade away good future. There's no 'present.'" I didn't feel bad about tweeting back a little "copying this tweet for posterity" at him. Cause the Greeks should have taught us about hubris. And I love Boswell and have all his books on my shelf. But if you're gonna go there, well, the baseball gods might see things otherwise, and you may just end up with egg on your face. But that was all. A victory dance or an IN YOUR FACE after the fact is just ungracious and asking to be humiliated next year when Cespedes breaks his leg trying to bunt and Syndergaard loses an arm in a Jet Ski accident.

Don't mess with the Fates, man. They'll come back and bite you on the ass. Baseball teaches us humility above all else.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #70: January 24, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »

Don't mess with the Fates, man. They'll come back and bite you on the ass. Baseball teaches us humility above all else.

Ah, the baseball gods.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71: January 24, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
Boz has a caustic edge.  Absolutely hates Pedro and Papi.  I think it is his Baltimore showing.

Offline whytev

« Reply #72: January 24, 2016, 03:53:35 PM »

Hahaha, thanks. I understand the concern and appreciate the ear. If Mets fans are jerks here, they're no friends of mine. You'd think a decade of futility would inculcate a little sense of humility and a broader understanding of the long dynamics of the game.  I'm an NL fan. I root for the Mets, they're my team. But in the years when the Mets were David Wright and his Merrie Band of Has-Beens, Never-Weres and Triple-A Rejects, I rooted for the Nats in the playoffs. The first game I ever saw in person was a Washington Senators game, when Ted Williams was managing, so I have a soft spot for D.C. baseball. I rooted for the Cubbies all this year. The NLCS was actually a painful experience for me, because I wanted a way for both teams to win.

But Larry Walker? Man, that was a huge mistake. :P

Well I rooted for the Mets in the playoffs last year, so I guess we're even.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #73: January 24, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
...I rooted for the Mets in the playoffs last year...

Offline whytev

« Reply #74: January 24, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm a baseball fan. If there is still baseball being played, I saddle up.