Author Topic: Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers  (Read 1597 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers
« Reply #25: January 19, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
I don't really get the point of these things.

I didn't either until I got the Apple Watch and then it suddenly made sense to me.  One thing I always hated about making a million stops on the bike is having to take of and secure my Garmin bike computer.  With the Apple Watch or the Garmin Fenix 5 I don't have to do any of that.  I can also leave my phone on the charger when I'm working out of my home office or in my briefcase when I'm walking around the airport and not have to worry about where it's at.  Most of the airlines have an easier time scanning my watch than they do the phone now, which was another major selling point. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: January 19, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
I don't really get the point of these things.

I like to track my bike rides and runs. They make it easy to run or ride at a target heart rate or cadence or speed which makes it easier to see if I'm getting the workout I want or to set targets or to structure work outs

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #27: January 19, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
Man, my Charge 2 acts like I'm standing still when I'm on the 'liptical. Won't track activity or heart rate for some reason. I like rowing better anyway.

I've had the Fitbit Blaze for almost a week now.   It's much better than the Charge 2 in that I can actually read the face.  I paid $150.  I couldn't bring myself to spend any more than this, and I absolutely do not want an Apple watch.

There are a few benefits so far:
- i'm more aware of the need to get up and move around, i'll run up stairs more often, and try and get active so i hit my 10k a day step total
- it's nice to be able to track heart rate during workouts.  I mostly do HIIT on the elliptical and it tracks that well.
- i've got it synced to my fitness pal so I can import calories burned and compare that with food intake (I'm trying to drop about 15lbs)
- the sleep data is interesting to look at as well
- getting reminders from my phone is useful

I haven't yet played with the community or challenge features, or the breathing app.  Overall I'm happy with the device.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #28: January 19, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »
Say that when your in your mid-50s and worried about your heart.

Actually, thanks to you recommending Athlean X to me as well as my preexisting obsession with fitness, that should never be a problem. I owe you big time for mentioning Athlean X. What a fantastic YouTube channel that is.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: January 19, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
Actually, thanks to you recommending Athlean X to me as well as my preexisting obsession with fitness, that should never be a problem. I owe you big time for mentioning Athlean X. What a fantastic YouTube channel that is.

If you're obsessed with fitness and ever start running or biking seriously, you'll probably end up with a watch of some sort especially since the high end ones have heart rate monitors on par with chest straps now

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #30: January 19, 2018, 02:41:35 PM »
Glad it helps.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #31: January 19, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
If you're obsessed with fitness and ever start running or biking seriously, you'll probably end up with a watch of some sort especially since the high end ones have heart rate monitors on par with chest straps now
I have a gym quality elliptical. That’s good enough for me.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: January 19, 2018, 02:43:36 PM »
I have a gym quality elliptical. That’s good enough for me.

fresh air is nice sometimes. I don't know how people can spend multiple hours on a piece of gym equipment

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #33: January 19, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
fresh air is nice sometimes. I don't know how people can spend multiple hours on a piece of gym equipment

Yeah, I do my 30 minutes of running about dawn, and hit the gym three times a week to use the rower and weights. Running on a treadmill is... un-satisfying.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #34: January 19, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
I don’t go for nearly that long. I just set it to the highest difficulty I can handle and go for 30 minutes. In fact, I’m doing that right now.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #35: January 19, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
Yeah, I do my 30 minutes of running about dawn, and hit the gym three times a week to use the rower and weights. Running on a treadmill is... un-satisfying.

I used to run 3 times a week for an hour (perhaps 45 minutes on some days) at 3 AM.    Did the gym on M, W and Friday.     Since I "retired"/got laid off, I try to walk 5 or 6 miles 3 times a week.    Of course, I walk when I golf.    It's good for the soul.     It's a great walk in the woods.     Everything walking and running was out doors (unless there was 6 inches of snow).     :)    I tried the local county facility for gym work and shootin' hoops.     Far too crowded and noisy.

Though I don't understand the need for 'em, I find fitness trackers, etc. interesting.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #36: January 19, 2018, 11:38:17 PM »

That’s a big missing feature of Fitbit devices. Garmin has that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #37: January 20, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »
I don’t go for nearly that long. I just set it to the highest difficulty I can handle and go for 30 minutes. In fact, I’m doing that right now.

If you can post while “exercise” ur doing it wrong.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: January 20, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
Glad it's working for you, but I personally find it to just be adding unneeded techno-crap to the relatively simple task of following a fitness routine.

But that’s the point, it isn’t simple. That’s why so many people fail to do it and follow through with it.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #39: January 21, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
I've had the Fitbit Blaze for almost a week now.   It's much better than the Charge 2 in that I can actually read the face.  I paid $150.  I couldn't bring myself to spend any more than this, and I absolutely do not want an Apple watch.

There are a few benefits so far:
- i'm more aware of the need to get up and move around, i'll run up stairs more often, and try and get active so i hit my 10k a day step total
- it's nice to be able to track heart rate during workouts.  I mostly do HIIT on the elliptical and it tracks that well.
- i've got it synced to my fitness pal so I can import calories burned and compare that with food intake (I'm trying to drop about 15lbs)
- the sleep data is interesting to look at as well
- getting reminders from my phone is useful

I haven't yet played with the community or challenge features, or the breathing app.  Overall I'm happy with the device.

I like the Fitbit Blaze. One thing I wished it had was an exercise mode watch face - where the heart rate monitor was the primary focus. Not the time, or the steps.

Offline imref

« Reply #40: January 21, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
I like the Fitbit Blaze. One thing I wished it had was an exercise mode watch face - where the heart rate monitor was the primary focus. Not the time, or the steps.

Agreed

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: January 21, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »

You can’t customize it like a garmin?

Offline imref

« Reply #42: January 21, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
You can’t customize it like a garmin?

no, lack of customizable watch faces is a big negative.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: January 21, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »
That would annoy me - running, I have time, distance, pace and heart rate on my watch

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #44: March 10, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »

Remember to set your dumb devices 1 hour forward tonight...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #45: March 10, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »
Remember to set your dumb devices 1 hour forward tonight...

:lol: