Author Topic: Doping Scandal: Zim, Peyton Manning, Ryan Howard, Others: Report  (Read 23580 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

"so you've retained counsel, if so why?"

for some reason reporters seem to have more respect for athletes' wishes about what questions they will and won't answer than any other group of people
All rich people have their own lawyers ready to go at a moments notice.

Offline HalfSmokes

All rich people have their own lawyers ready to go at a moments notice.

and 99.99% of them are tax/estate lawyers not litigators

edit, I can't even tell if something is sarcastic anymore

Offline Ray D

and 99.99% of them are tax/estate lawyers not litigators

Yes but you go first to the lawyer you have on retention, to hook you up with the right lawyer for the case.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He could sue Sly for defamation.

didn't Sly make his claims on secretly recorded tapes?  If so, no defamation.

Offline Natsinpwc

didn't Sly make his claims on secretly recorded tapes?  If so, no defamation.
I thought thise named were threatening to sue Al Jazeera. That probably won't work since they had a source (Sly) and apparently an additional source. So that's probably why we have not heard more about this.

Offline HalfSmokes

I thought thise named were threatening to sue Al Jazeera. That probably won't work since they had a source (Sly) and apparently an additional source. So that's probably why we have not heard more about this.

that and they'd get a chance to depose him under oath (I think that's the real reason)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So is Zim suspended yet?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
@Reuters: BREAKING: Baseball player Ryan Zimmerman sues Al Jazeera America over alleged defamation: court filing

Offline HalfSmokes

:clap: hopefully there are no skeletons in his closet

Offline PC

Offline houston-nat

"so you've retained counsel, if so why?"

for some reason reporters seem to have more respect for athletes' wishes about what questions they will and won't answer than any other group of people
I agree a lot with your non-quotation-mark sentence, but the question is a no-brainer. Innocent people need lawyers too.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Bold move by Zimmerman, seemed fairly certain that he was guilty based on his direct association with a known dealer and that dealer's assertion that he was a user, but now we'll get everyone involved under oath and get the true story. If he's innocent this is certainly the best way to clear his name.

Offline PC

Bold move by Zimmerman, seemed fairly certain that he was guilty based on his direct association with a known dealer and that dealer's assertion that he was a user, but now we'll get everyone involved under oath and get the true story. If he's innocent this is certainly the best way to clear his name.

...or he's not guilty.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Who gives a freak. If he was juicing he needs a refund. If juicing would help him stay on the field he should give it a go.

Offline houston-nat

Has there been any discussion yet of the NY Times report that all the accused athletes share a trainer (Derek Jeter's trainer)? The NYT story stresses that that doesn't prove any guilt, but it helps explain why this guy Sly named the athletes he named (guilty or not).

Online imref

so much for my prediction that he wouldn't sue - nice to see Zimmerman aggressively defending himself.

Online imref

Has there been any discussion yet of the NY Times report that all the accused athletes share a trainer (Derek Jeter's trainer)? The NYT story stresses that that doesn't prove any guilt, but it helps explain why this guy Sly named the athletes he named (guilty or not).

I posted it earlier today.

Offline houston-nat

Full PDF of Ryan Zimmerman's lawsuit (24 pgs)
http://blogs.reuters.com/david-ingram/files/2016/01/al-jazeera-zimmerman-lawsuit-0105.pdf

Worth a click if you don't know his middle name.

EDIT: Also one of Zimmerman's lawyers is named Scott Lerner.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The lawsuit rips Al Jazeera as being a two bit network that is failing and desperate for publicity, a fair assessment, and states that the entire report was built based on quotes from a sleaze ball drug dealer who has recanted his statements, which is clearly correct. The interesting twist being that the New York Times report was issued almost simultaneously with the filing of the lawsuit and that the Times is hardly a two bit operation and their research has identified a direct connection between Zimmerman and a supplement company co-founded by Sly. The kill the messenger approach is not going to work in round two.

The biggest question I have from the lawsuit is who was Zimmerman's source of information as referenced in paragraph 48. The other 80 paragraphs are very precise in all details, but in this one case there is a major missing piece of information. It is possible that someone working for Al Jazeera is a Nats fans and tipped him off. It is also possible that Sly warned Zim about the contents of the program and had assured Ryan that he had recanted.

48. On December 26, 2015, Mr. Zimmerman learned (from a source other than Defendants) not only that the sole source of the allegations against him were statements made by Sly and relayed to Al Jazeera by Collins, but that Sly had unequivocally advised Davies and Al Jazeera’s counsel, in writing, that the purported statements were false.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Who gives a freak. If he was juicing he needs a refund. If juicing would help him stay on the field he should give it a go.

Me :mg: It's fascinating to me how the media just dismissed the story so quickly because it involved someone they all like (Peyton). The whole story had the ring of truth to me but I'll he happy to be proven wrong which hopefully this lawsuit will do. 

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Who gives a freak. If he was juicing hethe Nats needs a refund. If juicing would help him stay on the field he should give it a go.

Offline HalfSmokes

Howard has filed a suit too

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.