Author Topic: Doping Scandal: Zim, Peyton Manning, Ryan Howard, Others: Report  (Read 23788 times)

Offline whytev

Remember when Nook Logan was named as a steroid user?

Even F.P. was in the Mitchell report.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Sure, he'll probably escape a 50 game suspension, but look at Gio's drop off since 2012, it's likely that we may never see the old Zimmerman again.

Where is Zim's drop off? He OPS'd over 1.000 last season after coming off the DL.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Where is Zim's drop off? He OPS'd over 1.000 last season after coming off the DL.

Good point, so far there has been no drop in production since the steroid story went public.

Offline dcpatti

This ESPN article makes it sound like the whole Al Jazeera report is based on bogus statements, but the whole "oh I was testing this guy by making up a bunch of stories and seeing if he'd fall for them" also sounds bogus. So who knows?

(Quote attributed to Sly)

"When I realized Al Jazeera was using a secret taping and Collins as a so-called investigative reporter, I was baffled," he said. "I cannot believe that can happen. That's why I recanted the story. It wasn't true and I was trying to pull one over on Collins to see if he had any idea of what he was talking about.

"I was trying to determine whether this guy [Collins] was legitimate or just trying to steal some knowledge about the business."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14441114/documentary-links-peyton-manning-other-pro-athletes-use-peds

Offline HalfSmokes

They don't have the Lerner's legal team.

Pretty sure they do (hence the whole problem with the masn case)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
From mlbtr:

UPDATE, 12:50am: MLBTR has a statement from William Burck of Quinn Emanuel, the attorney for both Howard and Zimmerman:

“It’s inexcusable and irresponsible that Al Jazeera would provide a platform and broadcast outright lies about Mr. Howard and Mr. Zimmerman. The extraordinarily reckless claims made against our clients in this report are completely false and rely on a source who has already recanted his claims.  We will go to court to hold Al Jazeera and other responsible parties accountable for smearing our clients’ good names.”

Offline HalfSmokes

From mlbtr:

UPDATE, 12:50am: MLBTR has a statement from William Burck of Quinn Emanuel, the attorney for both Howard and Zimmerman:

“It’s inexcusable and irresponsible that Al Jazeera would provide a platform and broadcast outright lies about Mr. Howard and Mr. Zimmerman. The extraordinarily reckless claims made against our clients in this report are completely false and rely on a source who has already recanted his claims.  We will go to court to hold Al Jazeera and other responsible parties accountable for smearing our clients’ good names.”

:lmao: anyone want to place odds they actually sue? Are they really clean enough to willingly go through discovery?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
:lmao: anyone want to place odds they actually sue? Are they really clean enough to willingly go through discovery?

Yep, denials are meaningless, if Zimmm testifies under oath I'll be a believer.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don't know what this says about the WaPo, but they have a link to the story on their main page at the top under "Peyton Manning," and the story only mentions Manning. It is completely silent on RZ and does not mention the baseball players at all.  Football > local sports team not named after potatoes.

here is the NBCSN report discussing the baseball players:
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/12/27/ryan-howard-ryan-zimmerman-taylor-teagarden-named-in-al-jazeera-investigation-on-peds/

Great line about how this will be less controversial because the baseball players stink.

Offline UMDNats

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The video of Slay recanting his statement is so damn awkward. I half expect Papa John was on the other side of the camera pointing a gun at the guy.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The allegations are that the purchases were made in 2011, the following off season was when Zimmerman signed his extension, certainly the Nats would have a case for claiming that the contract was signed under false pretenses.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Sly also opened up about his working relationship with Zimmerman, a player whom sly claims to have known for “probably six years.”  “I worked with him in the offseason.  That’s how I get him to change some stuff,” Sly said.  Sly went on to answer in the affirmative when asked if Zimmerman has used D2 and also indicated that he has noticed an increase in power as a result.

On hidden camera Sly spoke of supplying HGH to three players, one of them later showed up and discussed his HGH use, when exposed Sly claimed he made it all up.  Teagarden confirming Sly's original statements is not a good sign for Zimmerman.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/documentary-reportedly-links-ryan-howard-ryan-zimmerman-taylor-teagarden-to-ped-claims.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline UMDNats

The allegations are that the purchases were made in 2011, the following off season was when Zimmerman signed his extension, certainly the Nats would have a case for claiming that the contract was signed under false pretenses.

Yankees couldn't get out of it with A-Rod, there's no way the Nationals can get out of it with Zimmerman. Stop dreaming.

Offline HalfSmokes

The cba sets a penalty for doping, and it isn't voiding a contract - worse case for Zimmerman is a 50 game suspension if anything is actually proven enough to withstand an arbitrator

Offline Elvir Ovcina

An individual, from 2011?  You'd be surprised how little remains when people aren't subject to corporate doc retention policies.  I still agree with the larger point though, especially because proving a defamation case is hard when accounts keep changing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The cba sets a penalty for doping, and it isn't voiding a contract - worse case for Zimmerman is a 50 game suspension if anything is actually proven enough to withstand an arbitrator

7.(b) The Club may terminate this contract upon written notice to the Player (but only after requesting and obtaining waivers of this contract from all other Major League Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(1) fail, refuse or neglect to conform his personal conduct to the standards of good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep himself in first-class physical condition or to obey the Club's training rules; or

Offline HalfSmokes

An individual, from 2011?  You'd be surprised how little remains when people aren't subject to corporate doc retention policies.  I still agree with the larger point though, especially because proving a defamation case is hard when accounts keep changing.

Burden is on him to prove the statement is a lie (good luck) and truth is a defense (i.e. deposition under oath and lawyers pouring through his medical records and possibly finances)

Offline HalfSmokes

Great, provide any example of doping ever leading to that and ill believe it's actually a possibility

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Great, provide any example of doping ever leading to that and ill believe it's actually a possibility

Offline HalfSmokes

In other words, with all the players caught doping, including those on terrible contracts, no team has ever been able to wiggle out of one, but the nats' super lawyers (quite literally the same ones every other team uses) will get them out?

Offline UMDNats

Alex Rodriguez was distributing PEDs to players according to Biogensis and the Yankees still couldn't void his deal.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
In other words, with all the players caught doping, including those on terrible contracts, no team has ever been able to wiggle out of one, but the nats' super lawyers (quite literally the same ones every other team uses) will get them out?

Most teams never tried because they don't want to send the wrong message to potential free agents, but the Lerners have a particular issue about not paying people who do not comply to the letter with the terms of their contracts.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The video of Slay recanting his statement is so damn awkward. I half expect Papa John was on the other side of the camera pointing a gun at the guy.

Much like Bernie Sanders and the Black Lives Matter morons - if there was any truth to this nonsense Sly would be floating in a pond somewhere in Kentucky with two bullets from a gun registered to Clay Matthews. 

Most teams never tried because they don't want to send the wrong message to potential free agents, but the Lerners have a particular issue about not paying people who do not comply to the letter with the terms of their contracts.

dullesTrollRoad.jpg