Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32775 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #400: September 09, 2016, 10:44:11 PM »
This is fun.

:az:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #401: September 09, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »
If he,had started the season in April, he'd be ROY

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #402: September 09, 2016, 11:00:39 PM »
:clap:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #403: September 09, 2016, 11:39:20 PM »
This kid is special...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #404: September 09, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
cross post from the GDT:

I just got back - thank you metro - and wanted to ask how is it that scouting reports have Turner as a 20 game power tool guy?  His raw power is rated as a 40, near and long term, but that still is below average.  He is crushing the ball.  These aren't just barely over the wall.  he hits 400'+ shots. 

Brock isn't the comparable.  Henderson or Raines might be better comparable.  As for an infielder, :shrug:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #405: September 10, 2016, 12:19:23 AM »
cross post from the GDT:

Body type like Brock, but power like Raines and Henderson. All HOFers. Or should be in the case of Raines.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #406: September 10, 2016, 12:44:37 AM »
This is a joke ,right?
No because he has given every opportunity to Taylor this year. He was trying to do it with Revere/Taylor before. Now if Trea goes back to SS, there goes your 8th place hitter

Offline whytev

« Reply #407: September 10, 2016, 12:56:50 AM »
No because he has given every opportunity to Taylor this year. He was trying to do it with Revere/Taylor before. Now if Trea goes back to SS, there goes your 8th place hitter

I think next year Turner is probably the opening day SS, but I also say as soon as someone is injured he's backfilling at either second or centre and Espinosa is back. You could cover any position by moving Turner/Murphy.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #408: September 10, 2016, 12:58:19 AM »
:shock:

whytev with both the photo and quote change?!

Offline whytev

« Reply #409: September 10, 2016, 02:06:01 AM »
:shock:

whytev with both the photo and quote change?!

I change both all the time.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #410: September 10, 2016, 08:02:16 AM »
I know this is a huge jinx, but Trea is a top 10 player in the league right now. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #411: September 10, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
According to Statcast™, Turner has more homers of 440-plus feet this season than Anthony Rizzo and the same number as David Ortiz.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #412: September 10, 2016, 09:23:41 AM »
He could hit 20 before the season ends.  RoY?

Offline whytev

« Reply #413: September 10, 2016, 10:07:12 AM »
He could hit 20 before the season ends.  RoY?

He's on a tear. He's unstoppable. He is OPSing .925. Seager has played almost every game and is OPSing .912. Some years, maybe. This year, no way.

Offline Optics

« Reply #414: September 10, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
Its just a shame he didn't play from the start of the year. Gonna be fun watching Turner vs. Seager in the NLDS.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #415: September 10, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
I tend to agree. I think next year, Revere puts up something a lot closer to his career numbers. I think poor ol MAT will be trade bait.

The problem with Revere, is that his career numbers aren't really that good.  No walks, and no power means he has a career .660 OPS.  I guess I get the signing, because we needed someone to play CF.  I really don't think the organization plans to use Turner as SS.  We've been looking for a great lead-off/CF for years, and may have just stumbled on one with Turner.  The team needs to figure out how to get a guy who can hit appropriately for a 1B when Zimmerman is out or sucking and accept that Zimmerman is a part time player.   

Offline Optics

« Reply #416: September 10, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »
The problem with Revere, is that his career numbers aren't really that good.  No walks, and no power means he has a career .660 OPS.  I guess I get the signing, because we needed someone to play CF.  I really don't think the organization plans to use Turner as SS.  We've been looking for a great lead-off/CF for years, and may have just stumbled on one with Turner.  The team needs to figure out how to get a guy who can hit appropriately for a 1B when Zimmerman is out or sucking and accept that Zimmerman is a part time player.

Well Revere is a .300 hitter, or was before he got here. No he doesn't walk or hit for power but even hitting .300 is pretty good for a top of the order guy with the power in the middle of our lineup. Revere would be a nice #2 or at worst we put him at #9 and let the pitcher hit 8th and have essentially two leadoff men in some innings.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #417: September 10, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
Well Revere is a .300 hitter, or was before he got here. No he doesn't walk or hit for power but even hitting .300 is pretty good for a top of the order guy with the power in the middle of our lineup. Revere would be a nice #2 or at worst we put him at #9 and let the pitcher hit 8th and have essentially two leadoff men in some innings.
His OBP is worse than everyone on the Nats who has played a game in the field this year.  His career OBP of .320 is only ahead of Zimmerman's and .001 ahead of Espinosa's 2016 numbers.  12 for 17 steals isn't very exciting either. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #418: September 10, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
His OBP is worse than everyone on the Nats who has played a game in the field this year.  His career OBP of .320 is only ahead of Zimmerman's and .001 ahead of Espinosa's 2016 numbers.  12 for 17 steals isn't very exciting either.

Revere is a good 4th OF. Lefty bat, plays all 3 positions, can pinch run. What we need is a CF who can out defend Turner and outhit Espinosa at the same time. That's not a super high bar.

At this point, Goodwin has the best chance of the three of them, and that ain't saying much.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #419: September 10, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »
https://streamable.com/413h

In case you missed it

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #420: September 10, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »
I think that they did want to use Turner at SS but I think they were hopeful Danny would go back to.2012 Espinosa also. They definitely did not think he would be the SS this year. This offseason will be interesting because if they use Turner as a CF. We have alot of CF prospects who are defensive speed guys in the minors and nothing else.

Offline whytev

« Reply #421: September 10, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
I think that they did want to use Turner at SS but I think they were hopeful Danny would go back to.2012 Espinosa also. They definitely did not think he would be the SS this year. This offseason will be interesting because if they use Turner as a CF. We have alot of CF prospects who are defensive speed guys in the minors and nothing else.

It sort of depends how everything else goes.  Like if we had missed out on Murphy and gotten Céspedes, Turner would be on 2B and Céspedes would be trying to play CF right now.  We'd have a worse team, for sure, but you have to assume a domino effect no matter what you do.

Next year, obvious candidates for upgrade are SS, CF, 1B, and C.  1B is probably a non-starter, but at least Murphy is a great backup.  Turner solves one of the first two problems, depending who you get to solve the other.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #422: September 10, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
For everyone who thought Trea Turner had 8-10 HR power...I guess you were proved right :)

Offline whytev

« Reply #423: September 13, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
That catch was pretty encouraging.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #424: September 13, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
That catch was pretty encouraging.

Uh... I guess? Was a nice catch. That was probably Harper's (he was in position to make a much easier catch). Could've collided. I'm sure Harper was saying something under his glove...