Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32827 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #375: September 07, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
There is only one small flaw in your master plan.  It has to do with Revere and his suckiness level.

The team has 7 position players who are at least serviceable (if one includes Espinosa) for eight positions.  Either Revere, Zimmerman, or Robinson has to play.  As neither is hitting right now, take the sucky hitter who at least improves the team defense.  If Zimmerman actually starts hitting, this could change.

I'm inclined to stay flexible for the playoffs. For now, I want to see Turner get another 150 innings or so in CF so we have the option to play him there in the playoffs if the best lineup has RZ + DE > Revere.  I want Revere to play enough to stay sharp, too, and RZ to play enough to see if he can, on balance, contribute.  At that point, you make some sort of decision on the offense / defense balance.  There are scenarios for each of Face, DE, and Revere to be out of the lineup in the playoffs. 

Maybe a wild card in all this is Goodwin?  Maybe the answer is to play Turner in the IF and Goodwin in CF if he brings good defense and a non-zero bat.

I agree on the first paragraph, but if Goodwin were viewed as in any way a viable option, Turner wouldn't be in CF right now.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #376: September 07, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
, but if Goodwin were viewed as in any way a viable option, Turner wouldn't be in CF right now.
This was a big bounce back year for Goodwin in the minors.  I can see that they may have been trying to expose Turner to the OF while letting Goodwin finish the year in AAA during the 2d half of the year (roughly when Turner became a regular in DC).  I can also see wanting to run Espinosa and especially RZ out there every day.  Goodwin is getting playing time now even with Turner as the regular.  Let's see if he's giving Werth time off in the field, resting Harper, and playing a bit of CF when Turner gives an infielder a day off.  Goodwin doesn't have to play CF for them to know what he can do, and he doesn't need the experience.  It's more of a need to get him PAs whenever you can.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #377: September 07, 2016, 02:48:25 PM »
I'm inclined to stay flexible for the playoffs. For now, I want to see Turner get another 150 innings or so in CF so we have the option to play him there in the playoffs if the best lineup has RZ + DE > Revere.  I want Revere to play enough to stay sharp, too, and RZ to play enough to see if he can, on balance, contribute.  At that point, you make some sort of decision on the offense / defense balance.  There are scenarios for each of Face, DE, and Revere to be out of the lineup in the playoffs. 

Maybe a wild card in all this is Goodwin?  Maybe the answer is to play Turner in the IF and Goodwin in CF if he brings good defense and a non-zero bat. 

Would also like to see Goodwin getting some looks.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #378: September 07, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
I think you always bet on tools. I'd exercise another option year on Goodwin in AAA if he can't make the roster as a 4th/5th OF next year.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #379: September 07, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
I think you always bet on tools. I'd exercise another option year on Goodwin in AAA if he can't make the roster as a 4th/5th OF next year.

It'd be his final option, but yes. Barring a FA signing where they need the 40-man spot, I see no reason to cut him.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #380: September 07, 2016, 03:22:36 PM »

Especially with den Dekker gone.  At a minimum, he takes the role den Dekker had at the beginning of this season.  I don't think the CF situation next year is going to look like it does now, though.  It'll either be Turner permanently or someone new, I think.  Revere and Taylor are probably both out of chances to be anything more than backups. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #381: September 07, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
There is only one small flaw in your master plan.  It has to do with Revere and his suckiness level.

Revere and Espinosa both can't hit. So you have to play Turner at either SS or CF. Where is Turner better at defensively? And it's not CF. People seem to think anyone can play the OF. I'd love to see any of you attempt to catch a line drive over your head in the outfield. It's something you can only learn with experience and Turner does not have enough of it. His footwork was terrible and was lost he was not even in line with the ball when it hit the wall. Putting him in center in the playoffs is playing with fire.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #382: September 07, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »
Revere and Espinosa both can't hit. So you have to play Turner at either SS or CF. Where is Turner better at defensively? And it's not CF. People seem to think anyone can play the OF. I'd love to see any of you attempt to catch a line drive over your head in the outfield. It's something you can only learn with experience and Turner does not have enough of it. His footwork was terrible and was lost he was not even in line with the ball when it hit the wall. Putting him in center in the playoffs is playing with fire.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #383: September 07, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »
Especially with den Dekker gone.  At a minimum, he takes the role den Dekker had at the beginning of this season.  I don't think the CF situation next year is going to look like it does now, though.  It'll either be Turner permanently or someone new, I think.  Revere and Taylor are probably both out of chances to be anything more than backups.
If Dusty is manager next year could definitely see a CF platoon of Taylor/Goodwin as an option looked at.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #384: September 07, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »
  Revere and Taylor are probably both out of chances to be anything more than backups. 
I believe that Revere will be given every chance next season to be the C/F with Trip going back to his natural position SS. MAT will / should be back in AAA. Espi and hopefully Drew are the back ups though both maybe too pricey to keep. Zimm will also be given every chance to contribute. If I was Rizzo I wouldn't know what to do as we have 3 years remaining on his contract. I could see Rizzo getting an OF next season with the hopes that he would replace Werth in '18 and play regularly if Revere fails to hit his career numbers or be the 4th.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #385: September 07, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
If Dusty is manager next year could definitely see a CF platoon of Taylor/Goodwin as an option looked at.

And one or the other will be batting leadoff, cause CF.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #386: September 07, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
And one or the other will be batting leadoff, cause CF.

:lol:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #387: September 07, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
This is a joke ,right?

Offline whytev

« Reply #388: September 07, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »

The choice is between Revere and Zimmerman. It's too early to call now, but both should be better and they aren't the best dice to have to roll.

If it's Zimmerman vs. LHP and Revere vs. RHP, I can live with that.

Offline whytev

« Reply #389: September 07, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
Would also like to see Goodwin getting some looks.

Next year. I'm not sure you can justify having him on the playoff roster.

Turner
Rendon
Espinosa
Zimmerman
Harper
Werth
Murphy
Ramos
Revere
Drew or Difo based on health
Lobatón
Robinson
Heisey

You need Revere, Lobatón, and Drew/Difo to have all the backups you need defensively.

Heisey is an absolute weapon off the bench. Dial a pinch hit homer. Don't know how he does it.

Robinson's spot is a question. Goodwin could push him out if he rakes, but I wouldn't bet on it. Murphy's ability to play 1st is probably backup enough.

Offline whytev

« Reply #390: September 07, 2016, 06:00:01 PM »

Still say Revere gets non-tendered or Taylor gets dealt.

Offline whytev

« Reply #391: September 07, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »
I believe that Revere will be given every chance next season to be the C/F with Trip going back to his natural position SS. MAT will / should be back in AAA. Espi and hopefully Drew are the back ups though both maybe too pricey to keep. Zimm will also be given every chance to contribute. If I was Rizzo I wouldn't know what to do as we have 3 years remaining on his contract. I could see Rizzo getting an OF next season with the hopes that he would replace Werth in '18 and play regularly if Revere fails to hit his career numbers or be the 4th.

I hate to say it but extending Drew is probably a bad idea.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #392: September 07, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »
Still say Revere gets non-tendered or Taylor gets dealt.

If Revere doesn't show anything with the bat, Taylor's a better defender in all 3 spots (has Revere played RF?)

Offline whytev

« Reply #393: September 07, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »
And one or the other will be batting leadoff, cause CF African American.

Offline whytev

« Reply #394: September 07, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
If Revere doesn't show anything with the bat, Taylor's a better defender in all 3 spots (has Revere played RF?)

But Revere has a history of being able to hit for average. Taylor has never done so and likely can't. He has speed and power and he Ks too much. His absolute ceiling might be Danny Espinosa with the bat.

Revere has played 854 career innings of error free RF, for what it's worth.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #395: September 07, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »
But Revere has a history of being able to hit for average. Taylor has never done so and likely can't. He has speed and power and he Ks too much. His absolute ceiling might be Danny Espinosa with the bat.

Revere has played 854 career innings of error free RF, for what it's worth.

Nice. Maybe Revere is the 4th OF then. He'll be way more expensive than MAT, though.

Offline whytev

« Reply #396: September 07, 2016, 06:08:31 PM »
Nice. Maybe Revere is the 4th OF then. He'll be way more expensive than MAT, though.

Cheaper than McLouth.

I think he will hit .300 next year. Look what a similar injury did last year to Rendon.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #397: September 07, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
Cheaper than McLouth.

I think he will hit .300 next year. Look what a similar injury did last year to Rendon.

Revere is only making $4.5MM less this year than McLouth made in two.

He's useless. Goodwin would be just as useful and cheaper with a chance of upside.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #398: September 07, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
Cheaper than McLouth.

I tend to agree. I think next year, Revere puts up something a lot closer to his career numbers. I think poor ol MAT will be trade bait.

Offline whytev

« Reply #399: September 07, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
I tend to agree. I think next year, Revere puts up something a lot closer to his career numbers. I think poor ol MAT will be trade bait.

He stinks like bait at this point.