Author Topic: Trea Turner Appreciation Station  (Read 32493 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Trea Turner Appreciation Station
« Reply #250: August 25, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »
We'd still be in first place and we'd have him one less year?
Agreed, but he would be the front runner for RoY and we would probably be within a win or two of the Cubs

Offline Hogie

« Reply #251: August 25, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
Extend him now!

Offline madj55

« Reply #252: August 26, 2016, 01:39:59 PM »
Eddie Matz ‏@ESPNeddiematz  2h2 hours ago
Trea Turner has a 2.0 WAR in 38 games. Projected over the #Nats 127 games, he'd have 6.7 WAR...which would lead the National League.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #253: August 26, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »
This ain't no tryout camp though!

Offline Optics

« Reply #254: August 26, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
He's going to be an MVP candidate next year.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #255: August 26, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
This ain't no tryout camp though!
Does WAR account his worst in the majors defense? I heard Phil Wood say he sucks in the field.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #256: August 26, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »
Does WAR account his worst in the majors defense? I heard Phil Wood say he sucks in the field.

Yes.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #257: August 26, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »
Yes.
Then his offense must be like 38 WAR.... Or Phil Wood is wrong.

Flip of a coin.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #258: August 26, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »

Phil Wood is an idiot gasbag, and in this case he's also incorrect.  Turner's defense at 2B has been above league-average according to the metrics (and perfectly fine by the eye test as well).  His CF defense has been slightly below average per the metrics, which is hardly surprising as he's barely played there before.  Overall, it nets out above average because he's played twice at much at second. But again, Phil Wood is an idiot gasbag of near-Carpenterian proportions, and his hair should be a criminal offense. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #259: August 26, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »
Phil Wood is an idiot gasbag, and in this case he's also incorrect.  Turner's defense at 2B has been above league-average according to the metrics (and perfectly fine by the eye test as well).  His CF defense has been slightly below average per the metrics, which is hardly surprising as he's barely played there before.  Overall, it nets out above average because he's played twice at much at second. But again, Phil Wood is an idiot gasbag of near-Carpenterian proportions, and his hair should be a criminal offense. 

:clap:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #260: August 26, 2016, 03:28:48 PM »
The spectacular catch he made a couple nights ago, I've watched it several times and the path he took is probably as good as I have ever seen --  a straight line.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #261: August 26, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
I have seen him play and I can only recall one time that he mishandled a ball (transfer) for an error. He has made some good plays running down balls hit in the gap and running the most economical routes unlike MAT and the shark. I also saw one very good catch ala Reveres gem. I just don't get the knock on his defense.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #262: August 26, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »
seriously, ask Adam Jones if Trea can play CF, and he may know more about it than Phil Wood

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #263: August 26, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
And, on top of it all, I'm thinking his arm is stronger than some of the doubters (cough, Phil Wood) said.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #264: August 26, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
Phil Wood is an idiot gasbag of near-Carpenterian proportions, and his hair should be a criminal offense. 
Wrong again, Elvir.  His hair isn't a criminal offense.  It is cruel and unusual punishment for both his skull and the viewers.  I'm surprised Chief Justice Taft lets this happen. I thought he was a strict construction judge.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #265: August 26, 2016, 03:51:34 PM »
I have seen him play and I can only recall one time that he mishandled a ball (transfer) for an error. He has made some good plays running down balls hit in the gap and running the most economical routes unlike MAT and the shark. I also saw one very good catch ala Reveres gem. I just don't get the knock on his defense.
I'm just quoting Phil Wood.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #266: August 26, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »
He's going to be an MVP candidate next year.

One of four or five. Pretty damn good lineup locked up the next few years.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #267: August 26, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
One of four or five. Pretty damn good lineup locked up the next few years.
Rendon's slashline since May 1 is .282/.365/.503. That's better than his 2014 season that gave him MVP votes.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #268: August 26, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
Not only are Turners achievements recognized by all except Espi but they should be emulated by him especially. Without trying he hits HR's and his foul ball last night was the longest ball I ever saw hit to LF . All he does is make contact and if he hits it on the sweet spot it goes for a HR rather than swing from his heels and K's. Unfortunately Espi is here for the remainder of this season. They are not pulling him with 5 weeks to go in the regular season. Next year is a different story. Hopefully Revere finds his stroke and Trip goes to SS. Then the only thing we can nage about is Zimm and who will replace or platoon with Werth since we have no one in the system to replace him. I really think our FA acquisition should  be a corner outfielder this off -season. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #269: August 26, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
The spectacular catch he made a couple nights ago, I've watched it several times and the path he took is probably as good as I have ever seen --  a straight line.

Though later in the same game he botched an easy catch a step from the wall, in the glove and out.

He has tremendous talent obviously, and with time and experience his mistakes will diminish.  What an exciting player to watch!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #270: August 26, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »

97% route efficiency.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #271: August 26, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »
Though later in the same game he botched an easy catch a step from the wall, in the glove and out.

He has tremendous talent obviously, and with time and experience his mistakes will diminish.  What an exciting player to watch!

Just like Hamilton, he'll need to make adjustments. But if he stays in CF, he'll become one the of the best

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #272: August 26, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »

I think his long term position is 2nd. I think he could develop into a solid defensive short stop or center fielder but I think he could be elite at second base while maybe being the best overall player at his position in a couple years. I don't think he can match Altuve's bat but I could send him eventually being better defensively and Turner is already the biggest base running threat in the majors outside of Billy Hamilton.

Offline whytev

« Reply #273: August 26, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
I think his long term position is 2nd. I think he could develop into a solid defensive short stop or center fielder but I think he could be elite at second base while maybe being the best overall player at his position in a couple years. I don't think he can match Altuve's bat but I could send him eventually being better defensively and Turner is already the biggest base running threat in the majors outside of Billy Hamilton.

Offline madj55

« Reply #274: August 26, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »
Just like Hamilton, he'll need to make adjustments. But if he stays in CF, he'll become one the of the best
Just went to check on Michael Taylor who is absolutely stinking it up in the minors. .077 AVG and 16 Ks in his last 10. Don't see Turner moving from CF anytime soon.