Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1  (Read 28005 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1
« Reply #1000: September 08, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
[...]Harper: "I mean, they left in the 7th. That was pretty brutal"

Well bloody sorry mate, but one does need to get a jump on the available transit home (when announced attendance is upwards of 30k)...and the Nats are not known generally for their late-inning comebacks.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #1001: September 08, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
I have less of a problem with Papelbon. I took his comment the other night as being in fun and trying to get everyone pumped for what should be considered playoff baseball. That goes with his other comments about how it is all hands on deck time and if he needs to throw two innings in a row or pitch in non save situations, that's part of the job. So I can deal with that. The Harper comment is different. I would sure like an explanation. Part of me would like to think that he was commenting on the  atmosphere and acknowledging that things were so bad many fans just couldn't put up with it. But if this is some poke at a lack of fan support, that's bullcrap. The crowd was ready for playoff baseball. The team wasn't. They sucked. There's always a block of fans anywhere that start their egress in the 8th when the game is a lost cause. But plenty of the faithful were there until the bitter end. Hell, many of us were continuing to yell at the players to wake up, because it was clear they were not into the game. They need to look in the mirror. Fans don't play. Fans don't have any impact on what is happening on the field, despite what many idiots in NY and Philly may think. Plus, these guys don't know how easily they have it. If they get their feelings hurt because some people move to the concourse when the beer sales end, all I have to say is enjoy your time with the Yankees, where the fans and local media don't feel the need to polish your knob just for showing up. Too many people still think we should just be thankful to have a team.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1002: September 08, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
Chelsea Janes ‏@chelsea_janes  1m1 minute ago
Harper on the atmosphere/fans: "Well, they left in the 7th, so that was pretty brutal.."

Counting the days till he can sign with the Yankees (or, to really twist the knife, sign with one of our NL East rivals)...and then let him make that remark about Yankees supporters and then watch him get ripped to pieces on WFAN talk radio.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1003: September 08, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »
I have less of a problem with Papelbon. I took his comment the other night as being in fun and trying to get everyone pumped for what should be considered playoff baseball. That goes with his other comments about how it is all hands on deck time and if he needs to throw two innings in a row or pitch in non save situations, that's part of the job. So I can deal with that. The Harper comment is different. I would sure like an explanation. Part of me would like to think that he was commenting on the  atmosphere and acknowledging that things were so bad many fans just couldn't put up with it. But if this is some poke at a lack of fan support, that's bullcrap. The crowd was ready for playoff baseball. The team wasn't. They sucked. There's always a block of fans anywhere that start their egress in the 8th when the game is a lost cause. But plenty of the faithful were there until the bitter end. Hell, many of us were continuing to yell at the players to wake up, because it was clear they were not into the game. They need to look in the mirror. Fans don't play. Fans don't have any impact on what is happening on the field, despite what many idiots in NY and Philly may think. Plus, these guys don't know how easily they have it. If they get their feelings hurt because some people move to the concourse when the beer sales end, all I have to say is enjoy your time with the Yankees, where the fans and local media don't feel the need to polish your knob just for showing up. Too many people still think we should just be thankful to have a team.

SSB nails it again.   

Dear Bryce:

In the scheme of baseball, "What have you done to call out the fans of the franchise."    You're havin' a nice season.   How may playoff series has your team won with you on it?   How many critical games have you missed?    How many titles/rings do you have?    This may be your first or second actual full season and you're calling the fans out?    If it were Zim, Scherzer, Werth or one of the other players with a record of accomplishment?    OK.    We'll take our lumps.   I'm not even sayin' in some cases the criticism isn't warranted.    But after a game of this magnitude (at this time in the season), you have better things to worry about.   Don't take the bait.     You could have said, "We have a great fan base and the great fans stayed 'til the end."    Kill two birds with one stone.   Back handed acknowledgement that folks left but also acknowledging those who stayed.    There's a lot of man left for you to grow into.   

Sincerely,

:old:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1004: September 08, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
Headline from today's MLB.com Morning Line-up, received just now:

Adore Matt? Mets counting on Harvey tonight

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #1005: September 08, 2015, 10:18:56 AM »
Glad they have someone to count on. We sure do not. There is not one player left that I have 100% confidence in. If I had to pick the guy I'd be most comfortable handing the ball to with the game on the line out of the bullpen it would be Pap by default. If I had to pick a starter I don't think I would be able to. If I had to pick a guy to come up to bat in a must win with bases loaded and 2 outs I'd pick Taylor.   pickins are slim

Offline More of #34

« Reply #1006: September 08, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
Things are bad when we're picking on the best player on our team and maybe the best player on any team.  Yes, he'd have been better keeping quiet, but really, do we need to knock this guy down?  We should have won yesterday after Wilson Ramos got us back in the game with his grand slam.  Our pitching stunk - both the starter and the parade of bad relievers.  Those are the real culprits.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1007: September 08, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »
Things are bad when we're picking on the best player on our team and maybe the best player on any team.  Yes, he'd have been better keeping quiet, but really, do we need to knock this guy down?  We should have won yesterday after Wilson Ramos got us back in the game with his grand slam.  Our pitching stunk - both the starter and the parade of bad relievers.  Those are the real culprits.

They didn't run their yaps.

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #1008: September 08, 2015, 11:31:54 AM »
It's okay for Bryce to leave early if his butt hurts but the fans need to "suck it up" :clown: :clown: :clown:

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #1009: September 08, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
Nobody is picking on Bryce or knocking him down. Casting doubt on fan support when your team sucked and got routed is bad form, whether it comes from your best player or worst player.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1010: September 08, 2015, 02:19:05 PM »
During Monday's game, Slateman suggested Harper should be traded.  It was why I asked the mods to ban Slateman.  Just another example of the crybabies on WNFF.

Nobody is picking on Bryce or knocking him down. Casting doubt on fan support when your team sucked and got routed is bad form, whether it comes from your best player or worst player.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #1011: September 08, 2015, 03:18:37 PM »
During Monday's game, Slateman suggested Harper should be traded.  It was why I asked the mods to ban Slateman.  Just another example of the crybabies on WNFF.

Ok, I was specifically referring to comments regarding Bryce's postgame remarks, where I didn't think people were picking on him. Honestly, he has been a clear MVP and doing what he should be doing during this stretch. He's taking the walks. The others aren't getting it done. Bryce may have gone 0fer, but every team stacks their pitching to neutralize him. A better roster construction would likely make him even better. And while I disagree with the trade Harper comment, I don't think that proposal was a tear down either. If anything, it is a commentary on the state of the organization and how they could benefit from the haul they would get in return.

Regardless, while attacking Nats fans is nothing new for the biased media, who are clueless about the dynamics involved and blind to the same thing happening everywhere else, and while Bryce has a right to his opinion, letting frustration come out against the fans is poor form. He seems more justified in letting the frustration come out in the form of finger pointing at his teammates and coaching staff, particularly the bullpen. Go there first. They are the ones letting him down. The fans don't play. All we do is spend thousands of dollars every year to line their pockets and suffer through years of days in the sun watching crappy baseball, only to finally get some decent teams who give games away. So, even though I may stay to the bitter end, I am not going to call out a few fans who don't want to stick around to see the inevitable when their ride on the worst transit system on the planet awaits.