Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17460 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Reply #175: July 17, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »
Frank Viola becomes the first ejection for arguing against a robot ump:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/atlantic-league-coach-ejected-for-arguing-over-automated-strike-zone-just-one-inning-into-robot-umpire-era/

Seems like a scene out of robocop would be fitting here.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #176: July 21, 2019, 06:50:46 AM »
How would a manager argue with a robot?

Could a robot eject a player or manager?

What if a mound conference is taking too long does the robot what does the robot do?

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #177: July 21, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
There will also be no “sympathy strikes” called by “automate” when the game gets out of hand and both teams just want to get the hell out of there.
The umpire will be able to press the Sympathy button which will automatically adjust the strike zone when the game gets out of hand.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178: July 21, 2019, 04:08:12 PM »
I have two questions, first what are the physics involved in a ball crossing into the zone from the side- is it even possible for a pitcher to do it and, if so, do current umpires view the zone as a plain or in three dimensions- would the even call something cutting across the back of the zone a strike

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1152754212540952576?s=19

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #179: July 21, 2019, 09:13:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1152754212540952576?s=19

So something rare enough it gets 7.2 million views? It’d rather the the system be accurate for the vast majority of pitch’s than account for the unicorns

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #180: July 22, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
So something rare enough it gets 7.2 million views? It’d rather the the system be accurate for the vast majority of pitch’s than account for the unicorns

It's not that rare. Who knows what makes something popular on the interwebs.

Don't worry. The system will be 100% accurate before it gets to MLB. There will be no room for interpretation like instant replay. There will be no video to review. Think of the system in tennis.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #181: July 22, 2019, 08:35:28 AM »
Frank Viola becomes the first ejection for arguing against a robot ump:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/atlantic-league-coach-ejected-for-arguing-over-automated-strike-zone-just-one-inning-into-robot-umpire-era/

Seems like a scene out of robocop would be fitting here.

Viola is an idiot for protesting. His quibble was he did not know who was calling the strikes...the ump or the robots. What does that matter.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #182: July 26, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »
Talk Nats ⚾
@TalkNats2
Games change quickly by poor umpiring. Blackmon walks on 3-2 on what should have been strike 3. Rendon Ks on the same pitch.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #183: July 26, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
Talk Nats ⚾
@TalkNats2
Games change quickly by poor umpiring. Blackmon walks on 3-2 on what should have been strike 3. Rendon Ks on the same pitch.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
14 total pitches and 1 wrong. Not going to get better than that with humans.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #184: July 26, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
14 total pitches and 1 wrong. Not going to get better than that with humans.

I’m guessing (even missing ever ball curving into the zone), that an automated zone can beat a 93% accuracy rate

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #185: July 26, 2019, 01:46:01 PM »
I’m guessing (even missing ever ball curving into the zone), that an automated zone can beat a 93% accuracy rate
I think the last I saw the overall accuracy was like 87%?  Automating the strike zone is inevitable.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #187: July 26, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
Here’s one study.

http://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy

Wow. What an eye opener. The data is right there. Can’t get the robot umps here fast enough.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #188: July 27, 2019, 12:34:34 PM »
It was Kendrick's turn to get hosed by the home plate ump last night. Two balls clearly high called for strikes in the bottom of the effing ninth inning with two outs. When the game was on the line. Ump choked like a big dog.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #189: July 27, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »
It was Kendrick's turn to get hosed by the home plate ump last night. Two balls clearly high called for strikes in the bottom of the effing ninth inning with two outs. When the game was on the line. Ump choked like a big dog.

I had my doubts until I watched the Howie at bat last evening.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #190: July 27, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
I had my doubts until I watched the Howie at bat last evening.

Welcome to the robo ump revolution. We will overthrow the tyranny of Blind Blue soon. Less than five years, I say.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #191: July 27, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
The reason nobody's voted on this is because the choices are inadequate. The question about whether the technology is good enough (yes it is) is unrelated to the question about whether umpires are incompetent.  Most umpires are competent, but they cannot compete with the state of the art technology.

It's time.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #192: July 27, 2019, 07:54:02 PM »
The reason nobody's voted on this is because the choices are inadequate. The question about whether the technology is good enough (yes it is) is unrelated to the question about whether umpires are incompetent.  Most umpires are competent, but they cannot compete with the state of the art technology.

It's time.

The umps just are not competent enough in this day in age when so much money is riding on the line. And, frankly, HD television and super slow mo exposed their lack of competency. Thankfully there is a technical fix. Soon, soon.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #193: July 28, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »
So many bad, game changing calls occur it makes me wonder if the umps don't have a stake in the out come. These days there is too much money in sports gambling. Time to automate. Too many times I think can that guy be that incompetent????????

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #194: August 12, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/8/9/20798375/umpire-perfect-game-accurate-robo-umps

So this is the first known time when an umpire called a game perfectly for one team (no one has ever called a perfect game for both).

Ironically, it's Joe West.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #195: August 12, 2019, 11:37:43 AM »
So many bad, game changing calls occur it makes me wonder if the umps don't have a stake in the out come. These days there is too much money in sports gambling. Time to automate. Too many times I think can that guy be that incompetent????????
Even if they can’t automate the ups and downs on pitches because they would vary from batter to batter, I’m thinking they could at least automate the pitches that are missed on the inside and outside of the plate. I’m guessing many more pitches are missed on the outside of the plate because most umpires setup on the inside of the plate.

Glad to see you’re still hanging tough too old friend!  :tomatoes: :crackup:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #196: August 12, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »
Automate the calls but keep umps for show.  Only the umps know what the automated call is.  Allow the ump to overturn the call arbitrarily just to piss everyone off :popcorn:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #197: August 13, 2019, 12:52:21 AM »
Automate the calls but keep umps for show.  Only the umps know what the automated call is.  Allow the ump to overturn the call arbitrarily just to piss everyone off :popcorn:

That's essentially the current way it's implemented. Umps are there for interference, HBP, bounces in the dirt, etc.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?