Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17650 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Reply #150: July 16, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
That’s correct. The black portion of the plate was designed beveled with the intention it be mostly covered by dirt so players would not get injured sliding into it. The dimensions of Homeplate does not include the black.
If technology does take over the actual strike-zone we may never hear FP use the term “painting the black” or “paint” again.  :(  Guess he could say the pitcher, “lazered the outer edge”!  :crackup:

I always took the term as meaning that the ball was on the black border, which is most likely a strike anyway, as it is probably catching some of the white part.  I don't think umps are intentionally calling strikes that catch the tiniest bit of black but not any of the plate.  I am skeptical that any ump can truly get that level of accuracy correct in real time.   

When you watch the games with the permanent k zone up, it is pretty much a crap shoot whether a ball that catches the sides of the zone by less than a third of the ball to the balls that are a third of a ball outside are called strikes.  It would be nice if they could at least do something about the ball calls where the whole ball is in the zone or the strikes that are half a foot outside.  Those calls can have really affect a game.   They seem to be getting more rare, but they still seem to happen with some umps more than others.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #151: July 16, 2019, 09:50:57 AM »
I always took the term as meaning that the ball was on the black border, which is most likely a strike anyway, as it is probably catching some of the white part.  I don't think umps are intentionally calling strikes that catch the tiniest bit of black but not any of the plate.  I am skeptical that any ump can truly get that level of accuracy correct in real time.   

When you watch the games with the permanent k zone up, it is pretty much a crap shoot whether a ball that catches the sides of the zone by less than a third of the ball to the balls that are a third of a ball outside are called strikes.  It would be nice if they could at least do something about the ball calls where the whole ball is in the zone or the strikes that are half a foot outside.  Those calls can have really affect a game.   They seem to be getting more rare, but they still seem to happen with some umps more than others.

I think using the automated zone to score umps probably helps there since there’s objective evidence of a Greg Maddox veteran zone or a rookie getting squeezed because they’re a rookie

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #152: July 16, 2019, 09:58:31 AM »
“Calibration”

LOLROTFPIMP  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Funny but true!!!
Gotta have that “Certification of Calibration” in my hand before allowing the game to start.

Sorry, there’s going to be a slight delay in today’s game.  :roll:

Can a game be protested in the 2nd inning, or any point during the game, if the visiting team discovers the auto-call is not in compliance?     Will they have a post game inspection of the calibration (like NASCAR)?     Can a team ask for a calibration inspection time out during the game?    How will the teams know if an ump over rules the machine?    Will time be called with an explanation to each bench?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #153: July 16, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »
Can a game be protested in the 2nd inning, or any point during the game, if the visiting team discovers the auto-call is not in compliance?     Will they have a post game inspection of the calibration (like NASCAR)?     Can a team ask for a calibration inspection time out during the game?    How will the teams know if an ump over rules the machine?    Will time be called with an explanation to each bench?

I'm thinking that the whole calibration thing will be 100% foolproof by the time it gets to MLB. You can always protest a game but just remember that the machine will be calling it the same for both teams, which is unlike with some umps behind the plate.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154: July 16, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
This was the exact moment I became in favor of robot umpires.

This at bat was a strikeout despite Werth not swinging at any pitch.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #155: July 16, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
Don't know the answer to most of your questions, but this one is absolutely a yes.  During the game the only person on the field that knows what the machine called is the home plate umpire. If the ump feels it blew a call, he can override it at will. Of course, how many times he overrrode it will become part of the game record and I'm assuming used to evaluate the ump.

It's mostly supposed to be used when the machine totally blows a call, for example a ball that bounces in the dirt then skips up to break the plane will be called a strike by the machine even though it's a dead ball. It also can't rule on swinging strikes outside the zone.
Small point of contention, a ball that bounces before the plate is definitely a ball. But - it is also a live ball. Hitting the dirt doesn't make it a dead ball. And a ball that bounces and hits a batter (in the leg, on the foot) is considered a hit batsmen (then it is dead). A ball that bounces and ricochets off the catcher's shin guard is live and the runners may advance.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #156: July 16, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
Small point of contention, a ball that bounces before the plate is definitely a ball. But - it is also a live ball. Hitting the dirt doesn't make it a dead ball. And a ball that bounces and hits a batter (in the leg, on the foot) is considered a hit batsmen (then it is dead). A ball that bounces and ricochets off the catcher's shin guard is live and the runners may advance.

Yep, you are 100% correct.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #157: July 16, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm ok with leaving the 3d pitch as the umpires call.  It seems like a no brainer that there should be a system in place that over-rules the other 2 calls, at least as a first step.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #158: July 16, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »

My epiphany was Game 5 in 2012 when Molina and the Cards were getting all the calls and Storen was not. Eff that.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #159: July 16, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
I'm ok with leaving the 3d pitch as the umpires call.  It seems like a no brainer that there should be a system in place that over-rules the other 2 calls, at least as a first step.

I'm thinking the system would allow the ump to overrule any call by the robot. But I'm also thinking that would never be need if the system works like it should.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #160: July 16, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »

You certainly bring up several good points that I don’t have answers to.

What I do know about umpires is they all WANT TO CALL STRIKES. Whether they’re trying to speed up game times, or simply wanting to get out of the heat and humidity then home to their families, umpires want to call strikes.
Back when I was catching many years ago (when dirt was just invented) umpires would often make subtle comments to me before game time such as, “I have an early dinner date with a very pretty redhead” or, “if you’re selling, I’m buying”. These hints basically meant any pitch 2”-3” off the plate when framed properly, will be called a strike. If you “sell the pitch” to the umpire with a nice frame job, he was certainly going to “buy” it with a strike call.
IMO Some games need to be helped along by an umpire widening the strike-zone and they usually are at every level but the Big Leagues because of this automated strike-zone calling them out.
I’ve even been at minor league games when baseball scouts have hollered out to the umpire, “get this freaking game moving, I have to be in South Carolina by 6 o’clock”!   :hysterical:

Go Nats!!!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #161: July 16, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
My epiphany was Game 5 in 2012 when Molina and the Cards were getting all the calls and Storen was not. Eff that.

:lmao:

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #162: July 16, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »
“not in compliance” 

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

You do realize the Lerners are gonna be pissed at you when they find out you’re forcing them into hiring and paying large  :money:  for a team of Union electricians to perform quality control on this Robo Strike machine?
GEEEESH!!! I’ll never be able to retire!   :(

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #163: July 16, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »
“not in compliance” 

You do realize the Lerners are gonna be pissed at you when they find out you’re forcing them into hiring and paying large  :money:  for a team of Union electricians to perform quality control on this Robo Strike machine?

they might be able to lease it and defer payments though.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #164: July 16, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
they might be able to lease it and defer payments though.

LOLROTFPIMP  :hysterical:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #165: July 16, 2019, 01:47:37 PM »
“not in compliance” 

You do realize that every park already has and maintains the equipment?

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #166: July 16, 2019, 02:20:32 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Pitch #6😂😂😂

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #167: July 16, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
You do realize that every park already has and maintains the equipment?

Really? The robot ump stuff is different than the pitch tracker stuff?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #168: July 16, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
Really? The robot ump stuff is different than the pitch tracker stuff?

Similar enough plus they manage to maintain statcast which seems far more technologically complex

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #169: July 16, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
Similar enough plus they manage to maintain statcast which seems far more technologically complex

I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but the robot ump thing seems more complex to me than statcast or other current tracking systems because in addition to calling strikes they have to communicate to the umpire in real time.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #170: July 16, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »
I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but the robot ump thing seems more complex to me than statcast on other current tracking systems because in addition to calling strikes they have to communicate to the umpire in real time.

Baseball is a simple game.   :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #171: July 16, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but the robot ump thing seems more complex to me than statcast or other current tracking systems because in addition to calling strikes they have to communicate to the umpire in real time.

Measuring a fielder’s movement across the entire fields seems far more complex than tracking a sphere’s travel through a cube.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #172: July 16, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »
Measuring a fielder’s movement across the entire fields seems far more complex than tracking a sphere’s travel through a cube.

I defer to your expertise. :roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #173: July 16, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »
I defer to your expertise. :roll:

Somehow Indy league has conquered the immense challenge - I guess the budget just doesn’t exist in the majors. In angel Hernandez we trust

Offline mitlen