Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17656 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Reply #352: October 29, 2019, 07:06:49 AM »
FWIW...he could have also declined to comment...instead, he stuck up for him...

I'm not calling for the guy's head, and though there were a number of bad calls, it's just a part of baseball as far as I'm concerned.  I also don't like replay in sports, because sometimes you still can't get it "right."   :old: , I know...

He didn't want to get fined.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #353: October 29, 2019, 09:23:39 AM »
Robo-umps would avoid all this irrelevant stuff about pitch framing and offending the umpire.
All that would matter is the objective issue of whether a pitch is a ball or strike. Which is as it should be.
Use of a human ump backed up by replay would just slow things down and require challenges. Why do that when you could get it right every time with no interruptions?
(This assumes that robo-umps are truly accurate or at least far more accurate than human umps and can't be fooled by special tactics).

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #354: October 29, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Maybe this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but does the technology for an automated strike zone account for the area above the entire plate and not just a 2-D box such as seen on TV?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #355: October 29, 2019, 10:07:37 AM »
yes, tomterp has mentioned that over the years

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #356: October 29, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »
The ump knew he freaked up.
Honestly I am really surprised no ejections followed that. Our dugout was screaming, Victor was pissed, and an inning or two before that one of our guys was having words . So the strike zone really sucked but the ejection leash was a lot longer. Go figure.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #357: October 29, 2019, 10:19:44 AM »
Maybe this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but does the technology for an automated strike zone account for the area above the entire plate and not just a 2-D box such as seen on TV?
I always assumed (without any good reason to), that the box on the tv shows the point where it is closest to the center of the strike zone as it travels over the plate.

Online Slateman

« Reply #359: October 29, 2019, 11:43:05 PM »
I just looked it up. The last time it happened was in 1996.
It's now Davey Martinez

Offline djbaseball13

« Reply #360: October 30, 2019, 03:31:24 AM »
FWIW...Zim defended Barksdale...

What I heard from Zim was that the Astros beat us, not the ump. Nobody is going to have sympathy for us losing 7-1.... In game 5, WE were the ones giving up the homers to the Astros! Thats the difference IMO.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #361: October 30, 2019, 03:27:15 PM »
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Somewhat ironic that my first post is about a topic which is actually taking away much of my joy in watching baseball.

I agree with other posters that the time has come to automate the strike zone. However, my concern is the one rule that can't be repealed or avoided, the law of unintended consequences. If you take away umpires' discretion on what really shouldn't be a matter of discretion, will they feel a greater need to make their presence known in areas where they do have discretion? I don't think the average MLB umpire wants to be Sigourney Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest, merely repeating whatever the computer says. There seem to be more than a few wannabe Enrico Palazzos out there who want to ensure their presence is known, even if it is only in overly theatrical strike and out calls.

How many rules rely on the "judgment of the umpire"? Are we likely to see more exercises of that judgment in such a way that even if we get accurate balls and strikes, we are still going to have questionable umpiring behind the plate?  The Trea Turner play/call in Game 6 is just one example - a technically correct application of a rule which allows for umpire's judgment, but which only seems to be applied in a rather arbitrary and capricious manner. Another one I've noticed on several occasions this post-season is on checked-swings. As most of you likely know, people often talk about whether the bat crossed the plane of the plate or other objective criteria, but the actual rule is whether, in the umpire's judgment, the batter offered at the pitch. I've noticed a number of calls on checked-swings this post-season, involving a number of teams, which make me wonder if the umpires are trying to assert their relevance.

What other rules which rely on the judgment of the umpire are there which might be applied more aggressively if they automate the strike zone calls?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline hohoho

« Reply #364: November 05, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
AFL experiment pissed off everyone

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/automated-strike-zone-whiffs-at-arizona-fall-league/
Work in progress?
But seems very anecdotal to me. No statistics as to what percent of pitches were in question with a robo vs. a human. Also, sounds like the umps were sabotaging it by delaying their calls.
Change is hard. Players always say they just want consistency and that is what the robos give them.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #365: November 05, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »
"Not a fan,” Angels outfielder Brandon Marsh said. "Just because the ball can barely clip the zone—top, bottom, inside, outside—and the catcher can have his wrist break and drop the ball and it’s still a strike.

Yea, it sucks when a strike is called a strike

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #366: December 24, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »

Interesting article today in the Post on robo umps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/24/robo-umps-will-help-bring-baseball-into-st-century-more-ways-than-one/

It says the ABS system (the league’s proprietary automated balls and strikes system) could be rolled out to MLB within three years.

Here's how calls will be different:

"Umpires have especial blind spots in some areas of the strike zone, the study found. They miss calls at the bottom left and bottom right portions of the strike zone, the most important parts of the zone, 14.3 and 18.3 percent of the time, respectively.

Simply put, ABS — and get used to saying that — won’t miss those calls. But it will reconfigure the modern conception of the strike zone. For one, its zone is larger than the one imagined by most players and fans. The K zone projected on television is one dimensional. It looks like a narrow window through which a pitcher must fit the ball. But the real strike zone is three dimensional. All a pitch must do is skim a piece of that zone to be called a strike. ABS doesn’t have blind spots.

That means the high fastball or looping curveball most umpires considered out of the zone may very well be strikes, according to ABS. Advantage, pitcher.

However, the fastball that tries to paint the inside corner of the plate, or the slider that tries to sweep outside and misses by half an inch won’t be strikes in an ABS zone no matter how well a catcher presents the offering. Advantage, hitter."

Here's how it would work in practice:
"When the ABS system is implemented, home-plate umpires wear an earpiece connected to an iPhone in their pocket. That connects via WiFi to TrackMan radar systems installed in the ballpark. The software announces “Ball” or “Strike” to the umpire, who announces the call to the players and crowd. It feels and looks like a normal baseball game."

This sounds like umpires would not have the option to overrule the ABS call!  Umpires can't complain though: they're getting big pay raises and retirement benefit increases under their new agreement with MLB.

Here's another article that's more accessible:

https://apnews.com/d8760e52b8ced5b8436c60891ea6e877?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Online Slateman

« Reply #367: December 24, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »
About freaking time

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #368: December 24, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #369: December 24, 2019, 05:08:38 PM »
the astros are already working on a hack.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #370: December 26, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »
He can't blame it on the ump, so not a fan.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #371: December 26, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
Was rewatching Game 6. Having to wonder what a particular umpire was going to do — as well as how balls and strikes were going to be called post-Davey ejection would be nice if consigned to the past.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #372: January 22, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #373: January 22, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
Wow, robot umps in spring training.  This really is getting close.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28537918/mlb-plans-robot-umps-call-balls-strikes-spring-training-games
I really would like to see the robot be a camera on top of a roomba so it could go out and clean off the plate.

Online dracnal

« Reply #374: January 22, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »
I really would like to see the robot be a camera on top of a roomba so it could go out and clean off the plate.

Admittedly amusing joke aside, I like the plan to keep the ump on the field and add no extra machines. It keeps the traditional look and feel and just tosses out getting screwed by an ump with a chip on his shoulder or benefit of the doubt because 'Mr. So and so didn't swing, so it's not a strike.'