Yes, technology has shown umps are incompetent
29 (87.9%)
No, it would change the game too much
4 (12.1%)
I can't decide.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 10, 2019, 11:12:54 PM

Author Topic: It's time to automate the strike zone  (Read 17704 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: It's time to automate the strike zone
« Reply #150: July 16, 2019, 09:50:57 AM »
I always took the term as meaning that the ball was on the black border, which is most likely a strike anyway, as it is probably catching some of the white part.  I don't think umps are intentionally calling strikes that catch the tiniest bit of black but not any of the plate.  I am skeptical that any ump can truly get that level of accuracy correct in real time.   

When you watch the games with the permanent k zone up, it is pretty much a crap shoot whether a ball that catches the sides of the zone by less than a third of the ball to the balls that are a third of a ball outside are called strikes.  It would be nice if they could at least do something about the ball calls where the whole ball is in the zone or the strikes that are half a foot outside.  Those calls can have really affect a game.   They seem to be getting more rare, but they still seem to happen with some umps more than others.

I think using the automated zone to score umps probably helps there since there’s objective evidence of a Greg Maddox veteran zone or a rookie getting squeezed because they’re a rookie