Author Topic: The "Stephen Strasburg is not an Ace" Thread  (Read 18788 times)

Offline Expos

Re: The "Stephen Strasburg is not an Ace" Thread
« Reply #475: August 14, 2015, 12:29:13 AM »
It doesn't appear he can string two wins together although there's lots more game to play.  He's certainly struggling though.

Yep. 3 hits of support should be enough for Stras to get the W

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #476: August 14, 2015, 12:33:35 AM »
Pitched well after the rough start.  But still not an ace.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #477: August 14, 2015, 12:49:14 AM »
Pitched well after the rough start.  But still not an ace.

Agreed. All that needs to be said.

Aren't you tired of doing this? You crack me up and I don't want you to leave, but you're not convincing anyone. Strasburg is not an ace, no matter how much you want to believe.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #478: August 14, 2015, 01:18:24 AM »

He did a great job Canada, this L is not on him by any means. 

Offline Matugi

« Reply #479: August 14, 2015, 08:20:45 AM »
Agreed. All that needs to be said.

Aren't you tired of doing this? You crack me up and I don't want you to leave, but you're not convincing anyone. Strasburg is not an ace, no matter how much you want to believe.

uhh what.  Ryan Vogelsong freaking sucks.  The Giants have one of the better offenses in the NL.  If you hold them to 2 runs you better freaking win.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #480: August 14, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
What is up with him STILL getting hit in the first inning?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #481: August 14, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Well, maybe he is an ace, just victimized by a bad mound, lack of run support and no defensive range behind him. Trade him now before something happens (seriously, move him before the deadline).

Offline Matugi

« Reply #482: August 14, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
Well, maybe he is an ace, just victimized by a bad mound, lack of run support and no defensive range behind him. Trade him now before something happens (seriously, move him before the deadline).

I'd rather move someone like Zimmermann to a team like the Yankees whose season also looks to be tanking

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #483: August 14, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »
I'd rather move someone like Zimmermann to a team like the Yankees whose season also looks to be tanking

Absolutely trade Zimmermann, that's a no brainer. No point in keeping him now. Desmond too, even if it's for an A level prospect. Anyone who will be a free agent in six weeks needs to go now. Beyond that, I'd look to move Strasburg and Storen as well.

One silver lining in tanking now instead of September is that we can make moves for the future.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #484: August 14, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »
Absolutely trade Zimmermann, that's a no brainer. No point in keeping him now. Desmond too, even if it's for an A level prospect. Anyone who will be a free agent in six weeks needs to go now. Beyond that, I'd look to move Strasburg and Storen as well.

One silver lining in tanking now instead of September is that we can make moves for the future.

There is zero reason to trade Stras.  This team needs a retooling, not a rebuild.  The Nats top-4 next year could still be Scherzer-Strasburg-Gio-Ross.  Add a few offensive pieces and they'll be fine.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #485: August 14, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »
Not bagging on him for last night. I was actually kind of impressed. We've railed against Strasburg for being mentally weak, but last night, he was damn strong. His stuff wasn't working and he clearly struggled to locate early in the game. Diaz wasn't exactly useful either.

Strasburg buckled down, only gave up two runs (one of which is on Bryce for taking an absolutely crap route) and got through six innings.

I'm hoping that this is the turning point for him. :clap:

Offline Matugi

« Reply #486: August 14, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »
Not bagging on him for last night. I was actually kind of impressed. We've railed against Strasburg for being mentally weak, but last night, he was damn strong. His stuff wasn't working and he clearly struggled to locate early in the game. Diaz wasn't exactly useful either.

Strasburg buckled down, only gave up two runs (one of which is on Bryce for taking an absolutely crap route) and got through six innings.

I'm hoping that this is the turning point for him. :clap:

Again, the top-4 for next year looks filthy.  If the Nats could sign a two-year stop gap to transition through Gio and Stras (unless somehow Stras is resigned), like a Mark Buherle-type, plus a free agent bat (and trade Escobar) I'll be a lot more confident going forward

Offline Slateman

« Reply #487: August 14, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »
Again, the top-4 for next year looks filthy.  If the Nats could sign a two-year stop gap to transition through Gio and Stras (unless somehow Stras is resigned), like a Mark Buherle-type, plus a free agent bat (and trade Escobar) I'll be a lot more confident going forward

That's easy. Next offseason is filled with starting pitching. Jeff Samardzija, Mike Leake, and Yovani Gallardo.

As for a bat, Jason Heyward is the guy. He's only 26 can  can play CF if you need him to. Gives you Taylor as a back up for when Harper or Werth go down. You teach Werth to play first base and he can back up Zim.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #488: August 14, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
That's easy. Next offseason is filled with starting pitching. Jeff Samardzija, Mike Leake, and Yovani Gallardo.

As for a bat, Jason Heyward is the guy. He's only 26 can  can play CF if you need him to. Gives you Taylor as a back up for when Harper or Werth go down. You teach Werth to play first base and he can back up Zim.

I really haven't followed him since he got traded to the Cards but has Jason Heyward shown anything other than "potential" and "promise" in his career?  I just looked and he's got 9 HR and 40 RBI this season, kind of stinky but his average is better than most of our guys so I guess there's that but it seems he's been rather underwhelming IMO

Offline More of #34

« Reply #489: August 14, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
He struggled early but he persisted and could have ended up with a win.  Unfortunately our offense did nothing.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #490: August 14, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »

Could probably get Samardzija cheap with the year he's had

Offline Slateman

« Reply #491: August 14, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
I really haven't followed him since he got traded to the Cards but has Jason Heyward shown anything other than "potential" and "promise" in his career?  I just looked and he's got 9 HR and 40 RBI this season, kind of stinky but his average is better than most of our guys so I guess there's that but it seems he's been rather underwhelming IMO

Heyward is still developing as a hitter. He's only 26. He also hits for average, gets on base, and steals bases. Let's not forget, he plays probably Top 10 outfield defense and has an arm that rivals most. Even in CF, he's above average to good. Frankly, I think we play Harper in CF and play Heyward in RF. When Werth goes down, Taylor in CF and Harper in LF.

Second, because he's still developing, we can expect his power to increase somewhat. I don't think he'll ever match 2012 where he crushed 27 homers, but I could see him getting to the 20 mark. 20/20 doesn't exactly grow on trees.

4 years/70 million would be a good deal. Maybe three years with a mutual option on the 4th year. He'd only be 30 and still eligible for a big deal.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #492: August 14, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Heyward is still developing as a hitter. He's only 26. He also hits for average, gets on base, and steals bases. Let's not forget, he plays probably Top 10 outfield defense and has an arm that rivals most. Even in CF, he's above average to good. Frankly, I think we play Harper in CF and play Heyward in RF. When Werth goes down, Taylor in CF and Harper in LF.

Second, because he's still developing, we can expect his power to increase somewhat. I don't think he'll ever match 2012 where he crushed 27 homers, but I could see him getting to the 20 mark. 20/20 doesn't exactly grow on trees.

4 years/70 million would be a good deal. Maybe three years with a mutual option on the 4th year. He'd only be 30 and still eligible for a big deal.

Love it. Probably would have a lineup of Heyward/Taylor/Harp, though. Werth spells LF/RF/1B

Offline Slateman

« Reply #493: August 14, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Love it. Probably would have a lineup of Heyward/Taylor/Harp, though. Werth spells LF/RF/1B
I think Werth gets to start simply because of his contract.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #494: August 14, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
...and trade Escobar...

Not sure why you have such a hard-on for one of the two best position players on the team all year...

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #495: August 14, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
I think Werth gets to start simply because of his contract.

Damn shame. If he wants a ring, he'd have to say "these guys are better than me right now" and embrace the role. Maybe he turns in around and is an OBP guy again, but he looks slow and lost at the plate right now

Offline Matugi

« Reply #496: August 14, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
Not sure why you have such a hard-on for one of the two best position players on the team all year...

Because Escobar will likely never perform at this level again and presents a chance for the Nats to get a significant ROI

Offline Slateman

« Reply #497: August 14, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
Damn shame. If he wants a ring, he'd have to say "these guys are better than me right now" and embrace the role. Maybe he turns in around and is an OBP guy again, but he looks slow and lost at the plate right now
Except he's a good hitter when healthy. Frankly, Taylor is not.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #498: August 14, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
Because Escobar will likely never perform at this level again and presents a chance for the Nats to get a significant ROI

Mindfact...

We have him under contract on the cheap for 2 more years and it would be stoopid to trade him...

Offline Matugi

« Reply #499: August 14, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
Mindfact...

We have him under contract on the cheap for 2 more years and it would be stoopid to trade him...

It's not a mindfact.  He's a 33 year-old infielder with declining defensive ability whose having his best offensive campaign in four years.  He's the definition of a trade candidate