Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2015)  (Read 115980 times)

Offline PC

Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2015)
« Reply #1825: September 07, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
MVPs don't strike out 3 times in the biggest game of the season.

And then take a shot at the fans.  When you're 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts, it's best to STFU.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #1826: September 07, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »
Chelsea Janes ‏@chelsea_janes  12m12 minutes ago
Harper on the atmosphere/fans: "Well, they left in the 7th, so that was pretty brutal.."

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1827: September 07, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »
I'll forgive him if he knocks in some runs tomorrow.  I wonder if he has pondered what the NY Daily News will do with a quote like that when he is with the Yankees?

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #1828: September 07, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
I'll forgive him if he knocks in some runs tomorrow.  I wonder if he has pondered what the NY Daily News will do with a quote like that when he is with the Yankees?

The NY Post and NYDN are probably going to rip him for that comment right now.

They would absolutely ROAST him if he were a Yankee.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1829: September 07, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »
i don't have a problem with what he said. Big series against the number one team in the division. Fans should be showing up and not leaving in the 7th. Fairweather fans stink, IMO, and especially on a nice day in the afternoon. Heck, I used to bring my Grandfather when he was alive, from Jersey, to Nats park for a day game, get there early and stay late, then drive home.

Offline Dave301

« Reply #1830: September 07, 2015, 05:28:41 PM »
The national media is already tweeting about it. Very embarrassing. I get what Harper said, but it wasn't necessary. The question wasn't really necessary either.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1831: September 07, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »
The NY Post and NYDN are probably going to rip him for that comment right now.

They would absolutely ROAST him if he were a Yankee.
You know it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1832: September 07, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
You know it.
except NYY fans don't leave in the 7th in a 3 run game.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1833: September 07, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
Real talk: Are there any teams that have the personnel to give us fair value for Harper?

Only one I can think of is the Cubs. Maddon, Schwarber, and Soler for Harper.

Offline PC

« Reply #1834: September 07, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
First, it shouldn't be this hot in September.  We're a full week in the month and it still feels like July.  Next, the game should have been played at night.  The "atmosphere" would have been completely different out of the heat and the sun.

Next, Bryce has brought even more attention to this by what he said...in a game where he was 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts.  Is that the fans' fault that he failed so miserably in the biggest game of the season?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1835: September 07, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »

He's a dumbass for saying that because I would say at leat 80% were there until the end cheering while he wiffed yet again. Yes, some left but that's at every park in the country. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1836: September 07, 2015, 05:39:08 PM »
First, it shouldn't be this hot in September.  We're a full week in the month and it still feels like July.  Next, the game should have been played at night.  The "atmosphere" would have been completely different out of the heat and the sun.

Next, Bryce has brought even more attention to this by what he said...in a game where he was 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts.  Is that the fans' fault that he failed so miserably in the biggest game of the season?
Whatever, they play playoff baseball in the afternoon.

Bryce's ego is writing checks his body can't cash.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1837: September 07, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
That's cause they have nowhere important to go.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1838: September 07, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »

Yes, the do. They try to beat the subway crush just like Nats fans.

Offline PC

« Reply #1839: September 07, 2015, 05:41:06 PM »

I'll bet they would have left in this one.  In this heat and humility, watching the team fail at every turn.  Watching Matt Williams bumble along, village-idiotly.  Having reliever after reliever after reliever come in, all bad, every one of them worst than the one before...and Bryce going 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts...

There's NO fan base that would have stuck around for the end of this game.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #1840: September 07, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
Yes, the do. They try to beat the subway crush just like Nats fans.

Except 3 lines serve Yankee Stadium vs one for Nats Park.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1841: September 07, 2015, 05:42:38 PM »
I'll bet they would have left in this one.  In this heat and humility, watching the team fail at every turn.  Watching Matt Williams bumble along, village-idiotly.  Having reliever after reliever after reliever come in, all bad, every one of them worst than the one before...and Bryce going 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts...

There's NO fan base that would have stuck around for the end of this game.

I've gone to about 20 parks around the country and all have fans that leave early. It's part of the game.

Offline PC

« Reply #1842: September 07, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »

That just means you can spread out when you leave early in New York.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1843: September 07, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »

And they still leave early in the Bronx and in Flushing. I've gone to dozens of games at both parks because I lived in NYC for almost 5 years.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1844: September 07, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »
And they still leave early in the Bronx and in Flushing. I've gone to dozens of games at both parks because I lived in NYC for almost 5 years.
Someone better tell Bryce.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1845: September 07, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »
Someone better tell Bryce.

I'm sure someone already has. ;)

Offline madj55

« Reply #1846: September 07, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
Yes they do. Especially in the new stadium. Most of them aren't even paying attention to the game, it's a business meeting. I was there today and everyone was hyped and loud until Matt Williams and the pen put the game out of reach. I love Harper, but you were freaking horrible today. Plays like an MVP against the Braves/Phillies/Marlins and doesn't show up against the Mets. GTFO with that bullcrap. Mets fans leave early as well, I've witnessed it many times yet they now think they're the greatest fans in baseball. freak this season to hell. Tired of this, can't wait for next year.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #1847: September 07, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Yes they do. Especially in the new stadium. Most of them aren't even paying attention to the game, it's a business meeting. I was there today and everyone was hyped and loud until Matt Williams and the pen put the game out of reach. I love Harper, but you were freaking horrible today. Plays like an MVP against the Braves/Phillies/Marlins and doesn't show up against the Mets. GTFO with that bullcrap. Mets fans leave early as well, I've witnessed it many times yet they now think they're the greatest fans in baseball. freak this season to hell. Tired of this, can't wait for next year.

This is true.  I was at the game where Mariano was honored in Monument Park, and fans left early.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1848: September 07, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
don't make like this was an 11-4 game.  3 runs.  I suppose the weather was summer hot, which stinks in the day time, and they played like zombies, but a walk, a dribbler, a bloop and a blast (a/k/a, the CarGo Rox formula v. Storen), and we are talking about the momentum again.  Hey, easy for me 450 miles away to say this, but even in the GDT, folks were talking about the Mets fans being the only ones heard late.  Bryce picked a bad game to call people out due to his non-performance, but let's not say it was a will the team home atmosphere either.

Offline NatsGirl

« Reply #1849: September 07, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »
Does Harper have a point? Sure. Mets fans travel well, and the Nationals are a new-ish team with a new-ish fanbase. Considering the several lead changes that had already happened that game, the fans should have stuck it out to see what happened.

Then again, the home fans aren’t the ones who had three strikeouts, as Harper did. And the fans aren’t the ones who are conducting some sort of free jazz experiment with the bullpen, as Nationals manager Matt Williams appears to be doing

From USA Today