Author Topic: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread  (Read 19732 times)

Offline rbw5t

Re: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread
« Reply #75: July 22, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
If he pitches 24 more innings this year, he will not be eligible for ROTY.

Ooh, good to know.  We should be good for using him for 3 more starts while we get everyone healthy, and then he can still be a rookie next year when he should be in the rotation full time.  I'd love to see him as 2016 ROY.

Offline PC

« Reply #76: September 02, 2015, 12:07:11 AM »
Ross doesn't use rosin.  He's going to have a tough time pitching in Washington in July and August.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #77: September 02, 2015, 12:07:56 AM »
Ross doesn't use rosin.  He's going to have a tough time pitching in Washington in July and August.

Was thinking the same thing.

Offline whytev

« Reply #78: September 02, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »
Shut him down please.

And hats off, Joe. What a season.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #79: September 02, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »
Shut him down please.

yes and yes. I love Joe

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #80: September 02, 2015, 04:22:12 AM »
But if this year is an example, Ross didn't have trouble pitching in July/August in DC

Offline Ray D

« Reply #81: September 02, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Is there a reason why a pitcher would choose not to use resin?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #82: September 02, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
Is there a reason why a pitcher would choose not to use resin?

Several. Mainly because you don't like it

Offline Ray D

« Reply #83: September 02, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »
Several. Mainly because you don't like it
Not good enough. If his poor performance was due to inability to get a grip because of the humidity, and if resin would have helped then he needs to use the resin whether he likes it or not.  Unless for some reason the resin has a more negative affect on his performance than the inability to grip.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #84: September 02, 2015, 10:42:28 AM »
Not good enough. If his poor performance was due to inability to get a grip because of the humidity, and if resin would have helped then he needs to use the resin whether he likes it or not.  Unless for some reason the resin has a more negative affect on his performance than the inability to grip.

Maybe he doesn't like it because it doesn't work for him?   :shrug:

Online dracnal

« Reply #85: September 02, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
I've always got the impression that pitching at the MLB level is a game of millimeters. Rosin would completely change how and when the ball left your hand and if you have never used it, it would likely be far worse than pitching in humid conditions (which every pitcher does, whether they use rosin or not).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #86: September 02, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
Maybe he doesn't like it because it doesn't work for him?   :shrug:
That's fine, I just wanted a reason more specific than "doesn't like it".
I've always got the impression that pitching at the MLB level is a game of millimeters. Rosin would completely change how and when the ball left your hand and if you have never used it, it would likely be far worse than pitching in humid conditions (which every pitcher does, whether they use rosin or not).

That makes sense too.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #87: September 02, 2015, 01:49:53 PM »
Shut him down please.

Agreed. Looking forward to next year. Don't burn him out and we need a real good hard look at Roark for the rest of this year, I don't want no more experiments in April. Thank you Rizzo for stealing him and Turner away from the Pads.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #88: September 03, 2015, 09:32:07 AM »

This. Rosin, for some, helps give a spin, but it could do the exact opposite and not allow the pitcher to get the spin he's looking for. He could put a sweatband by his glove and keep dry.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #89: September 03, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »

Maybe he doesn't like the feeling. Maybe he doesn't know how to use it effectively. Maybe he's never used it before and is unsure of when/how to use it. Maybe it doesn't work well with his pitches.

Anyway, I think the next start is his last start. Strasburg is being skipped with Roark taking Strasburg's spot. Strasburg can then slide up in to Ross' spot and Ross can be placed on the 60 day DL for TJS recovery.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #90: September 03, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
I had a dream last night that Joe Ross was taking a no-hitter into the 7th inning, but I was in a bar and people kept bothering me with stupid crap that made it hard to watch the game.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #91: September 03, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
I had a dream last night that Joe Ross was taking a no-hitter into the 7th inning, but I was in a bar and people kept bothering me with stupid crap that made it hard to watch the game.

OT   Not sure the why of it but every time I see "Joe Ross", I think of Joan Baez "Joe Hill".

"I dreamed, I saw Joe Hill last night
Alive as you and me"

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #92: September 03, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
OT   Not sure the why of it but every time I see "Joe Ross", I think of Joan Baez "Joe Hill".

"I dreamed, I saw Joe Hill last night
Alive as you and me"
Also OT, but Joe Ross is a cool name. He should sell a Joe Ross Hot Sauce. Catchy!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #93: September 03, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »
Did Joe Ross have TJ surgery ?

Anyway, I think the next start is his last start. Strasburg is being skipped with Roark taking Strasburg's spot. Strasburg can then slide up in to Ross' spot and Ross can be placed on the 60 day DL for TJS recovery.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #94: September 03, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
Move Ross to the pen for the rest of the year. His arm for short spurts would play well.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #95: September 03, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
Did Joe Ross have TJ surgery ?

No, they're just careful with adding innings to young pitchers. They do it gradually year over year.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #96: September 03, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »
OT, I saw Joe Ross pitch in 2010 in a high school tournament in San Diego when my son's team went out there. He was a stud even then, the best pitcher on Bishop O'Dowd HS from Oakland. (My son actually faced him and grounded out to SS.)

And even more OT, I saw Harper when he was 11 win a HR hitting contents in a tournament at Cooperstown. I later saw him (and knew who he was by then) when he was 15 at a tournament in Atlanta. My son never played against Harper though.

Offline PC

« Reply #97: September 08, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »
To the bullpen...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #98: September 08, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
I called for this move about three weeks ago. Too little, too late.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #99: September 08, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »
They're not moving him for performance. It's to conserve innings.