Author Topic: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread  (Read 19747 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread
« Topic Start: June 19, 2015, 10:28:27 PM »

Joe Ross should remain in the rotation. He's earned it.

Stephen Strasburg has only one Quality Start in 10 starts. Move Stressburg to the bullpen. Keep him in the minors until he proves that he can pitch to win. Stressburg has allowed 33 earned runs in 45.1 IP, for a horrific 6.55 ERA and 1.72 WHIP. He's averaged 4.5 innings per start, which taxes the bullpen.

Never change a winning game plan, and always change a losing game plan.

Joe Ross
Fri 6/19   PIT   W 4-1   7.1 IP, 1 ER, 11 K, 6 H
Sat 6/13 @MIL W 7-2   8.0 IP, 2 ER, 8 K, 7 H
Sat 6/6   CHC   L 2-4    5.0 IP, 3 ER, 4 K, 6 H

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: The Joe Ross Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1: June 19, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
Agree.  Strasberg can go to the pen.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: June 19, 2015, 10:30:19 PM »
Joe deserves props.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #3: June 19, 2015, 10:36:21 PM »
23/1 K to BB ratio. That's like having a 23/1 kill to death ratio on COD.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #4: June 19, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
I don't know how you send him down or to the pen right now.

Obviously we wont be puting Stras in the pen, same with Fister. Do we need a left handed starter? Could Gio become a long arm?

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #5: June 19, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
23/1 K to BB ratio. That's like having a 23/1 kill to death ratio on COD.

23/2, actually, but your point still stands.

Scherzer, Zimmermann, Fister, Roark, Ross >>> Scherzer, Zimmermann, Fister, Strasburg, Gio.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: June 19, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »
23/2, actually, but your point still stands.

Scherzer, Zimmermann, Fister, Roark, Ross >>> Scherzer, Zimmermann, Fister, Strasburg, Gio.

That's it. That's the right rotation. Let Strassburg pitch a inning every day.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #7: June 19, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Ross is so calm, cool and collective.  We needed tonight's win BIGTIME!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #8: June 19, 2015, 11:47:49 PM »
I can't believe we got Turner and Ross in the same trade and without giving up anything notable.

Offline NatsGirl

« Reply #9: June 19, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
Yeah I'll be pissed if he's moved out of the rotation for Strasburg and then Strasburg continues to implode.

At this point though, he's better than a good Strasburg so really there is no reason to bring Stephen into the rotation.

Love how smiley he is.  Seems like a good guy.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: June 19, 2015, 11:56:19 PM »
 :clap:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: June 19, 2015, 11:59:54 PM »
Stras has earned a chance to see if he's corrected whats ailed him to start the season, but this is a huge bright spot for the next several years as we start to see a few of these guys step out of the rotation the next few years. Huge, huge, huge boost.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #12: June 20, 2015, 02:11:20 AM »
Was there tonight. Ross is boss. Great demeanor on the mound, so cool and confident. When that damn error landed between Danny and Denard (I think it was Polanco?) I was sure it was gonna turn into a run. Instead Ross pitches right through it better than any other pitcher I've seen this year (no offense to the likes of Scherzer, Fister and Zinn - they shouldn't have to pitch through the garbage they get behind them).

I think you go to a 6-man rotation for 3 or 4 starts, get some more looks at everybody and give Scherzer some extra rest, we want that dude fresh for October and he's been pitching his brains out. I don't think you take Fister out under any circumstances, he's got the track record to bounce back. Roark goes to the pen too, no question, he's got experience there and shores up an otherwise depleted bullpen. So then it's Gio, Stras or Ross. I don't think Gio has the stuff to make it in the pen, especially because he has made a concerted effort this year to convert to a groundball pitcher (google it - there's a Wapo article somewhere where he cops to it) and he has a track record as a pitcher, not just a hurler.

If Stras has a hell of a bounceback 3 or 4 starts off the DL, you send Ross to AAA to keep getting better in anticipation of 2016 sans Zinn & presumably Fister (AJ Cole who?). Maybe even if they pitch equally, they both give you quality starts, go with the veteran with the electric stuff. But if he can't get it together, I say you send him to AAA to train as a bullpen arm. Can you imagine Stephen Strasburg, the closer? He has better stuff than freaking Kimbrel. If you start soon enough, you might not have to sell the farm for Chapman and/or Papelbon. If they make a lesser trade for say, Tazawa or Benoit, you have a bullpen that looks like...

Thornton - Lefty
Janssen/Carpenter - depth
Roark - Stammen-type guy
Strasburg - 7th inning guy? Setup? Alternate closer? Fireman strikeout guy? Who can also give you 2-3 innings? Hot damn
Storen - 9th
Benoit/Tazawa - Setup

It's a righty-heavy, and maybe it's even a pipe dream, but that is a fierce bullpen. Janssen or Carpenter is the worst pitcher on the staff? Now that sounds like a championship caliber pen. Ah well, a man can dream can't he?

Offline whytev

« Reply #13: June 20, 2015, 02:58:20 AM »
I WANT STEPHEN IN THE BULLPEN SO BADLY!

It's not that I dislike him.  It's that I literally think he could be the next Chapman.

Chapman was drafted as a starter.  So was Clippard.  Mariano freaking Rivera was drafted as a starter.  When you're that good and you fail as a starter, you relieve.  There is no shame in it.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #14: June 20, 2015, 03:15:38 AM »
So what seems to be Ross's success pitch(s) ?  Or does he have great control and is keeping his pitches down ?

Offline whytev

« Reply #15: June 20, 2015, 03:17:48 AM »
So what seems to be Ross's success pitch(s) ?  Or does he have great control and is keeping his pitches down ?

He threw sliders all day. Nobody could pick it up. Not sure what he threw when Taylor made a great catch at the wall.

Offline whytev

« Reply #16: June 20, 2015, 03:19:56 AM »
He threw sliders all day. Nobody could pick it up. Not sure what he threw when Taylor made a great catch at the wall.

Just looked. Looked like a slider a little up. Got punished. But other than that it was just knockout. Lots of swings and misses and sky high popouts.

Offline sph274

« Reply #17: June 20, 2015, 04:34:59 AM »
seriously though a potential 2-3 starter and a starting SS for a blocked OF? rizzo really has made some amazing trades

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #18: June 20, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
I WANT STEPHEN IN THE BULLPEN SO BADLY!

It's not that I dislike him.  It's that I literally think he could be the next Chapman.

Chapman was drafted as a starter.  So was Clippard.  Mariano freaking Rivera was drafted as a starter.  When you're that good and you fail as a starter, you relieve.  There is no shame in it.

Prior to this season, what exactly would pinpoint that would call for Strasburg to be labeled as a failure?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #19: June 20, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »
seriously though a potential 2-3 starter and a starting SS for a blocked OF? rizzo really has made some amazing trades
Yeah, forget Wil Myers, we might have gotten the 2 best players in that whole trade.

Joe Ross has been unstoppable so far. 23:2 K:BB is all-star caliber. He can't be this great forever, but what a hell of an introduction.

FanGraphs already has him worth 1 WAR. That makes him already #4 on our pitcher leaderboard, behind Scherzer (duh), JZimm, and Gio.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #20: June 20, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
Hes been outstanding.  However I reserve my opinion until he's played each team once thru.  A lot of his success maybe due to the fact they've never seen him before

Offline 3bside

« Reply #21: June 20, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »
He had 120 innings last year.  Under Rizzo's ramp up approach, he would get 160 this year and should be good for 200 next year.  So unless he can get starts here, he won't get the innings, and even if he did get starts here, he wouldn't be available for post season.

Offline Expos

« Reply #22: June 20, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
Prior to this season, what exactly would pinpoint that would call for Strasburg to be labeled as a failure?

Exactly.

Ross pitching lights out is fantastic news for next year when both Zimmermann and Fister leave. Then we can take the money we are paying Zimmermann and Fister and get a power bat or use it towards extending Harper. Strasburg will not be going to the pen because then we will be short an arm for next year when we need him.

2016:

Scherzer
Strasburg
Ross
Gio
Roark

Giolito?
Cole?

That is a nice rotation with two good young arms in AAA.

But this year Roark will go to the pen and Ross will go to AAA.

Scherzer
Zimmermann
Strasburg
Fister
Gio

Strasburg will not be going to the pen as a 7th or 8th inning guy. It simply won't happen.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #23: June 20, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »

Cole?

No.

He's not a thing anymore.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #24: June 20, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »
No.

He's not a thing anymore.
In the offseason I thought A.J. Cole was a 7th inning guy, and now I still think A.J. Cole is a 7th inning guy. They should convert him in time for September.