Author Topic: FBI: Cardinals hacked Stros  (Read 8095 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: FBI: Cardinals hacked Stros
« Reply #25: June 16, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »
Cheating the right way

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #26: June 16, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
To borrow a line from SF...

The Cardinals should go to jail for that crap! :whip: :whip:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #27: June 16, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #28: June 16, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
Drew Magary sums it up :crackup:

http://deadspin.com/eat-crap-cardinals-1711726377

the St. Louis Cardinals—the sports equivalent of the Duggar clan   :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: June 16, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »
One of the comments:  :hysterical: :hysterical:

Ask any person in St. Louis to define “the Cardinal Way,” and they will tell you that it’s a style of hacking that both pays homage to and respects the fundamentals of breaching computer security dating back to when the opposing team began digitally storing scouting reports within data networks in 1994. The style of hacking is described in phrases like “password cracking” and “brute force attacks.”
For any player scouted by opposing teams, the Cardinal Way is an 86 page handbook that outlines exploitation of each teams databases in areas ranging from vulnerability scanners to packet analyzers, spoofing attacks and computer worms, as well as the manner in which the Cardinals cyber scouts should conduct themselves on “the ‘Net.”
From a business standpoint, the handbook defines the organizational philosophy, a philosophy that places a greater emphasis on misappropriating digital scouting records and player transaction information from opposing teams than on generating home grown data from within the Cardinals organization. It’s the Cardinal Way.

the St. Louis Cardinals—the sports equivalent of the Duggar clan   :hysterical:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #30: June 16, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
To borrow a line from SF...

The Cardinals should go to jail for that crap! :whip: :whip:

I do miss the classics :lol:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #31: June 16, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
Deadspin had part of the hack about a year ago. Of interest to Nats: (1) Astros asked for Giolito and Rizzo said "he'd have to get back to them". He didn't. (2) Astros asked for Nate Karns. Rizzo refused. (3) Remote: Billy Beane offered Brad Peacock as part of a trade. We know that happened.

Story at: http://deadspin.com/what-the-cardinals-learned-from-hacking-the-astros-1711709663?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Mostly interesting to see how baseball works. Does not sound much different from the way Clark "The Old Fox" Griffith operated, except that Griff had fewer major league teams and more fully independent minor league teams. All by phone. No computer to track the players, but Griff seems to have done that in his head, just like Connie Mack, until money and farm systems pushed out most of the old-time owners.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: June 16, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
I heard it was the assistant equipment manager. He went into the men's room near the Astros office and stuck a USB flash drive into a laptop port to deflate download the content.
Drew Magary sums it up :crackup:

http://deadspin.com/eat-crap-cardinals-1711726377

The Cards are almost certainly going to handle this scandal by finding a patsy—THE BALLBOY. They’ll identify him as a rogue agent (“What was he doing taking that laptop into the crapter?!”), and then throw him under the bus, which I assume is some kind of tacky tour bus driven in from Branson.
I should write for Deadpsin (except I can't spell).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: June 16, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
Patriots fall guy = looking for a new job, cardinals fall guy = long stay in prison, not sure they will have an easy a time as the pats finding a guy willing to fill the role

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: June 16, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
Astros fault for not having strong enough data controls.   ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #36: June 16, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
No wonder the Johnson Space Centre is a mess
Astros fault for not having strong enough data controls.   ;)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #38: June 17, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
This is so illegal, I'm dying at the idea that the FBI is going to settle for a ball boy.  :hysterical: It's corporate espionage and sabotage and it's the FBI. If there's a ball boy he'll flip or face federal prison. And the FBI will be highly motivated to flip him.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #39: June 17, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »
So the Cardinals have been exposed as a Chinese front organisation?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: June 17, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
 :hysterical:

So the Cardinals have been exposed as a Chinese front organisation?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #41: June 17, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
This is so illegal, I'm dying at the idea that the FBI is going to settle for a ball boy.  :hysterical: It's corporate espionage and sabotage and it's the FBI. If there's a ball boy he'll flip or face federal prison. And the FBI will be highly motivated to flip him.

Doesn't it depend on how MLB is organized under the law, anti-trust, etc.?     Is it one large corporation with member clubs or are they separate corporate entities (as described in MLB's agreement with the teams)?     Is this corporate espionage or is it an illegal hack by using regulated networks or interstate problems?       I have too much free time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: June 17, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Do you really have to ask that ?

Ah, the old "integrity of the game" clause. 

I should have added a  :stir: after my post.     :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: June 17, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
Doesn't it depend on how MLB is organized under the law, anti-trust, etc.?     Is it one large corporation with member clubs or are they separate corporate entities (as described in MLB's agreement with the teams)?     Is this corporate espionage or is it an illegal hack by using regulated networks or interstate problems?       I have too much free time.

Don't know about other teams, but the bats are owned by a Delaware llc

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #44: June 17, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
Enjoy: https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

Some of those morons sound just like the ones here who claim there's a conspiracy against the Nationals or talk about all the haterz.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #45: June 18, 2015, 04:27:25 AM »
What about the notion of proprietary information owned by any company and competitors can't steal proprietary information.

Ah, the old "integrity of the game" clause. 

I should have added a  :stir: after my post.     :lol:

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #46: June 18, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
Cardinals give up walk-off solo-shot HR to Kennys Vargas in the bottom of the 9th in Minnesota. Karma. :twisted:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #47: June 21, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »

It seems to be a closed monopoly of separate corporations. Yes, there was the sentimental ruling that professional baseball is "the national pastime" rather than a business, but that was in the 1920s. I think the absolute answer comes from several other decisions:

- Free agency in the 1970s
- Ultimate decision about 1990 that teams had conspired to restrict the free movement of players
- Activity of the teams: selling and trading players to each other; the draft...

Offline Wiems35

« Reply #48: June 25, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »
The bitterness in here is beautiful.  Hold onto that crutch.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #49: June 25, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
The bitterness in here is beautiful.  Hold onto that crutch.

Don't see any bitterness. Just see that the Cardinals have been exposed.