Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76431 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
No we are not all in on that.

Agreed.  That would be like trading Max for an even lesser version of Royce...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So you are 100% all in on trading Max for a package around Clint Frazier? I think that is a terrible deal and would hope the Nats would get something more in tune with their actual needs than Clint Frazier who has demonstrated he is a terrible OF. That will always limit his value on an NL team. You can think it is idiotic not to like that deal but I can think that that deal is a terrible waste of resources as well. So whatever I guess

Uh .... LF is a definite need. Soto needs to move to first.

Frazier is about the best you can hope for with Max due 100+ million.

Online Slateman

Agreed.  That would be like trading Max for an even lesser version of Royce...
Frazier is a better hitter than Harper.

Offline Natsinpwc

Frazier is a better hitter than Harper.
Joe Frazier? Definitely a harder hitter.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
Kacey Hart Scherzer has arrived:
[removed]

Not yet traded for Frazier.

What colors are her eyes

Offline tenken627

https://districtondeck.com/2019/07/05/we-may-have-just-witnessed-best-month-ever-for-mlb-pitcher/

Looking at Max’s amazing run in a historical context, it is clear that we just watched something very special. For pitchers with at least six starts in a calendar month since 1920, Scherzer’s .667 WHIP in June 2019 tied St. Louis Cardinal great Bob Gibson (who posted a .667 WHIP in June of his magical 1968 season) for the top mark. In strikeouts per nine innings pitched, Scherzer’s 13.6 rate last month trails only Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez’s 14.1 rate in May 1999. Scherzer also displayed superb control in June, walking only five batters. His strikeout to walk ratio of 13.60 trails only Clayton Kershaw’s 15.25 in June 2014 among pitchers with at least six starts n a month.

Online imref

He’s good.

Online imref

ESPN:

Max Scherzer had a hit, a stolen base and 11 strikeouts against the Royals today. It’s his 2nd career game with at least 1 hit, 1 stolen base and 10 strikeouts.

According to @EliasSports, Scherzer is the only pitcher in the Modern era (since 1900) with multiple such games.

Online Slateman

Offline nats2playoffs

I made the exact same mistake. I posted a walkoff prediction in the GDT, and made a ninja edit, when I realized it was the 8th inning. I even had a Walkoff Win, Post the  :w: ready to post.
 :-[

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
I made the exact same mistake. I posted a walkoff prediction in the GDT, and made a ninja edit, when I realized it was the 8th inning. I even had a Walkoff Win, Post the  :w: ready to post.
 :-[

I think I got a bigger kick out of Strasburg's reaction

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I think I got a bigger kick out of Strasburg's reaction

Same. I actually had not seen Stras's reaction. Hell, I've think I've seen him smile more this year than all his previous years combined.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The dude in the video says that neither broadcast team caught it but FP was all over it when it happened.

Online imref

Same. I actually had not seen Stras's reaction. Hell, I've think I've seen him smile more this year than all his previous years combined.

Turner’s reaction to the stolen base was awesome as well.

Offline rileyn

The dude in the video says that neither broadcast team caught it but FP was all over it when it happened.
FP didn't catch it until the 2nd or 3rd replay.  I remember seeing Scherzer out there when it happened and thought, "that is strange."  In FP's defense, there was a ton happening on that play.

Offline tenken627

Offline nats2playoffs

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
(Image removed from quote.)

2019 MLB All-Star Game: Max Scherzer & his ASG adventure: Washington Nationals’ ace takes Cleveland

https://www.federalbaseball.com/2019/7/10/20688415/2019-mlb-all-star-game-max-scherzer-asg-adventure-washington-nationals-ace-takes-cleveland

That is interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I never thought of that, but makes sense. If you as a pitcher are forced to hold a bat and work with hitting coaches then that should help your pitching just since you have a better understanding of what hitters are trying to accomplish.

Online Slateman

Balled out tonight

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Exactly what we’re paying him for, outstanding job from our Mighty Max :clap:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Exactly what we’re paying him for, outstanding job from our Mighty Max :clap:

Finally...yes...he was as advertised tonight...

Online imref

career playoff ERA as a Nat is now down to 3.36 in 32.1 innings.  The relief appearance against Chicago still kills him.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
The legend continues.