Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76240 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Only stat that counts is wins.

Only has 8 wins. Lance Lynn has 10. Lynn is better :stir:

Offline dracnal

VArkitude!

Offline nats2playoffs

But 6 of Scherzer's 8 wins took place in June. 6-0 in June 2019.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28976/max-scherzer

Lance Lynn is 4-2 in June 2019.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
NL Player of the Week. And I expect Pitcher of the Month to be coming shortly.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/17/mlb-execs-vote-nationals-max-scherzer-the-worst-free-agent-signing-in-espn-poll/?utm_term=.4bac0ff6d42d

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/12334819/mlb-best-worst-active-offseason

Scherzer's deal was voted the worst in 2015

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Everyone though Scherzer would be an elite pitcher, but no one thought he would be doing what he is doing now. He has been better than a best case scenario hope.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Everyone though Scherzer would be an elite pitcher, but no one thought he would be doing what he is doing now. He has been better than a best case scenario hope.

:minigunz:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
NL Player of the Week. And I expect Pitcher of the Month to be coming shortly.

he's going to get some votes for MVP this year at this rate too

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
he's going to get some votes for MVP this year at this rate too
If the Nats make the playoffs AND Bellinger cools off, Scherzer is probably your MVP

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
If the Nats make the playoffs AND Bellinger cools off, Scherzer is probably your MVP

Christian Yelich says  :lmao:

Offline Slateman

Christian Yelich says  :lmao:

Yelich and his less than 5 WAR can't hold Max's jock.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Playoffs?!?  PLAYOFFS?!?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Yelich and his less than 5 WAR can't hold Max's jock.

He could, but Max would want someone a lot cooler to hold it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
He could, but Max would want someone a lot cooler to hold it.
:clap:

Offline sph274

:lmao:

Frazier is one of the worst defensive OFs in the league. This is a fact. I want no part of him on this team

Offline Slateman

Frazier is one of the worst defensive OFs in the league. This is a fact. I want no part of him on this team

:lmao: :lmao: So is Soto

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
:lmao: :lmao: So is Soto
wait. Soto makes one-handed catches. Doesn't that give you confidence?

:lol:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
wait. Soto makes one-handed catches. Doesn't that give you confidence?

:lol:

It scares the crap out of me every time he does it. :panic:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

I'm just happy he gets to the ball.

Offline Slateman

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/down-goes-frazier-when-it-comes-to-defensive-metrics/

Frazier is even worse  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yes, half a season of sample size.

Anyone who doesnt want Frazier is an idiot. Dude freaking crushes baseballs. Like 40 home run pop.

But no, we dont need that because of "bad defense"

Offline sph274

Frazier is a DH with a history of concussion problems. Questioning the utility of such a player in exchange for the best pitcher in the history of the franchise is not idiotic. Frazier is a trade piece for someone like Madison Bumgarner, not Max Scherzer. If the Nationals traded one of their marquee players I would hope they would get a player better than Clint Frazier. He is made for the AL

Offline Duke of Earl

On a routine fly ball, with no runners on, nowadays a lot of coaches prefer one-hand - the other hand gets in the way more often than it helps, they say.  On a two-hand catch, the other hand is close to the glove for the sole purpose of getting the throw off quicker.  (I'm not saying all or most coaches, just "a lot". Honestly I can't tell you what major league coaches say, but I hear high school coaches say this.)

Offline Slateman

Frazier is a DH with a history of concussion problems. Questioning the utility of such a player in exchange for the best pitcher in the history of the franchise is not idiotic. Frazier is a trade piece for someone like Madison Bumgarner, not Max Scherzer. If the Nationals traded one of their marquee players I would hope they would get a player better than Clint Frazier. He is made for the AL
A DH :lmao:

Better :lmao:

The only reason you're getting Frazier is because of the Yankees desperation. Look at what the Tigers got for Verlander.. Frazier is light years better than what the Tigers got.

Frazier is a future all start left fielder. Turning him down so fans can watch Max Scherzer win a Cy Young on a team with no shot at the postseason is dumber than dumb.

Offline sph274

So you are 100% all in on trading Max for a package around Clint Frazier? I think that is a terrible deal and would hope the Nats would get something more in tune with their actual needs than Clint Frazier who has demonstrated he is a terrible OF. That will always limit his value on an NL team. You can think it is idiotic not to like that deal but I can think that that deal is a terrible waste of resources as well. So whatever I guess

Offline Natsinpwc

So you are 100% all in on trading Max for a package around Clint Frazier? I think that is a terrible deal and would hope the Nats would get something more in tune with their actual needs than Clint Frazier who has demonstrated he is a terrible OF. That will always limit his value on an NL team. You can think it is idiotic not to like that deal but I can think that that deal is a terrible waste of resources as well. So whatever I guess
No we are not all in on that.