Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75428 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
So disappointing. Why didn't he pitch like this when we needed him in July and August with the season on the line??

Enjoy the moment.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Not from him, though. But yes, I will enjoy the prospective sweep tomorrow :twisted:

Mets may end the year losing 6 in a row - oh, and if the Dodgers win tonight (up 1-0 vs the Pads with Greinke on the mound) they clinch home field. If we beat 'em tomorrow, the Mets won't even be a 90 win team. :twisted:

#littlevictories.

Offline HalfSmokes

If only the learners hadn't hamstrung Rizzo with him

Offline imref

Wikipedia is already updated. It had to have been Linty. :).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_score

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline chritter

Unfreakingbelievable. Two no-hitters, both of them near perfect, one the batter chickened out and the other an error by a third baseman. Zero hits, zero walks, 55 outs. Unbelievable. Second highest game-score of all time, one point lower than Kerry Wood's game, highest ever for a no-no (perfect game, really). 28 perfect outs, even better than 27, just like Kershaw, Galarraga and Walter Johnson. 17K. That's probably the second greatest game pitched, ever, maybe first. 9K in a row. On the road, against some Nats killers.

Maxie, not only have you elevated Nats baseball to all-time great heights, but you have effectively eliminated the rival Mets in the NLDS. They ain't getting over this one. If we ain't gettin' in, they ain't going nowhere. If Gio and Max were something, they will be helpless against Kershaw and Greinke. 

See you next year. :clap:

Depends on which Mets show up. The Mets of September, who torched the NL, or the Mets of October, who whimpered into obsolescence and could only score one run in 30something innings.

Nobody is eliminated. The playoffs are their own thing. You just gotta get to the dance, then crazy crap can happen.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Wikipedia is already updated. It had to have been Linty. :).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_score

It was updated as soon as the game ended, I saw it when I wanted to measure Kerry Wood's. Mad props to Linty.

Offline DPMOmaha

What kills me is that this game should have meant something. In the end, it didn't really.

Offline whytev

What kills me is that this game should have meant something. In the end, it didn't really.

Max pitched great, but if the season was on the line they would have put out their real lineup. It would have been a great battle but not a no-no.

Offline aussienatsfan

I agree, so bitterly disappointing

Offline imref

From zuck's stat dump of last night's game:

"— Scherzer is the first pitcher ever with three 9-inning Game Scores of 97 or better in the same season. Only two others (Ryan in 1990, Pedro Martinez in 2000) even have two in the same season."

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
The season has been over for weeks, so I'm over that. Nice to play spoiler and send the Mets to the playoffs cold. Momentum is huge in October.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Quick calculation of some game scores by other Washington pitchers:

1. Walter Johnson:  May 15, 1918: 121. Walter pitched an 18-inning complete game shutout; 9 K's, 10 hits. Carl Hubbell later matched Walter's 18 inning shutout, but Hubbell and Johnson, so far, are the only pitchers to throw shutouts lasting that long. 

2. Walter Johnson: July 1, 1920: 97. Complete game no-hitter, 10 K's. Perfect game spoiled when young Bucky Harris dropped a popup. Johnson put his arm around Harris, said, "Don't worry about it, kid. Happens to all of us.

3. Tom Cheney: September 12, 1962, in a game some of us heard on radio: 107. 16 innings, 21 K's, 10 hits, 1 run.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
How old were you for that Walter Johnson game, Welch?

Offline imref

It s
Did mean something. The mets clinch going on the road.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
I'm bummed I missed it.

Offline Optics

How awesome would it have been if yesterday's game meant something? Division on the line and you pitch a no hitter. Of course if something were on the line he'd have probably given up 4 ER in 5.1 IP. That's what this team does after all.

Still, Scherz overall had a great year. But he also came up short for much of the 2nd half and that as much as anything cost us dearly this year.

Offline Ray D

I didn't watch a minute of it and I don't give a flying freak about his no-hitter.  Where the hell was he when we needed him.
He didn't need to pitch two no-hitters and a near no-hitter.  If he had spread out that brilliance over several of his stinkers, we might still have been in the race.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I really like having this guy at the top of the rotation. He's a bulldog and sets the tone for the entire staff, which is exactly what you want from an ace.

He had a rough stretch this year and it costs the Nats dearly but his late season resurgence bodes well for next year.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
I really like having this guy at the top of the rotation. He's a bulldog and sets the tone for the entire staff, which is exactly what you want from an ace.

He had a rough stretch this year and it costs the Nats dearly but his late season resurgence bodes well for next year.

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.

If we've learned anything this year it's that this performance bodes precisely nothing for next year. 

Offline DPMOmaha

Max pitched great, but if the season was on the line they would have put out their real lineup. It would have been a great battle but not a no-no.
I think that misses the point.

Offline DPMOmaha

It s
Did mean something. The mets clinch going on the road.
Eh, alright.

Offline whytev

I didn't watch a minute of it and I don't give a flying freak about his no-hitter.  Where the hell was he when we needed him.
He didn't need to pitch two no-hitters and a near no-hitter.  If he had spread out that brilliance over several of his stinkers, we might still have been in the race.

What a stick in the mud!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
What a stick in the mud!

You said it nicer than I was thinking it.    :)