Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75408 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Could have had Tanner give up 6 runs for so much less money

Offline aussienatsfan

That's the problem with buying another team's star- they have to be great to just get what you expect, anything short of that and they're a disappointment

I think first half Max was unsustainable, but second half Max is barely a major league starter. his ERA is now 2.98 and i have no problem with that or his k/rate.. If he goes an entire season next year with a 2.98 ERA and gives us a chance to win I'll be happy, but the first half stats had me expecting far better

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
I think first half Max was unsustainable, but second half Max is barely a major league starter. his ERA is now 2.98 and i have no problem with that or his k/rate.. If he goes an entire season next year with a 2.98 ERA and gives us a chance to win I'll be happy, but the first half stats had me expecting far better

He got overused, simple as that. Can't see any other explanation. Grant it he's a fly-ball pitcher so his stuff will lend itself to homers in general, but he is missing badly, and command is the first thing that goes with exhaustion. You can sling it as fast as you want, 98, whatever, but you just can't put it anywhere in particular (yet another reason not to leave a starter in after 120 pitches).

He could have been better this whole second half had he not been overused. Regressed, but still a lot better. Probably wouldn't have won the Cy Young like he was on pace for because of the insane year Greinke has had and because Clayton Kershaw is who he is. Definitely wouldn't have affected this team's playoff chances, take away the games Max has lost us we're like 3 back at best. But if Matt was going to continue to let him sit out there for 120 pitches he was never going to be good, David Price once was left in a similar game last year because Ausmus didn't trust his pen and ended up giving a few runs up by the end of it.

Offline aussienatsfan

He got overused, simple as that. Can't see any other explanation. Grant it he's a fly-ball pitcher so his stuff will lend itself to homers in general, but he is missing badly, and command is the first thing that goes with exhaustion. You can sling it as fast as you want, 98, whatever, but you just can't put it anywhere in particular (yet another reason not to leave a starter in after 120 pitches).

He could have been better this whole second half had he not been overused. Regressed, but still a lot better. Probably wouldn't have won the Cy Young like he was on pace for because of the insane year Greinke has had and because Clayton Kershaw is who he is. Definitely wouldn't have affected this team's playoff chances, take away the games Max has lost us we're like 3 back at best. But if Matt was going to continue to let him sit out there for 120 pitches he was never going to be good, David Price once was left in a similar game last year because Ausmus didn't trust his pen and ended up giving a few runs up by the end of it.

Yeah Williams has no idea how to manage a staff and this contributed no doubt

Offline whytev

Ray Knight said Max pitched a great game, but the bottom line is he gave up 4 runs in 6.2 innings and blew another lead.  We didn't give $210 million for effort.  We need better results.

What was he doing out there at 117 pitches? What? Seriously.

Offline rileyn

Max hasn't recorded a win at home since June 20 no-hitter ----- over 3 months!  I didn't do the research but I'll bet he has given up a lead in at least 5 of those games.

Offline Ray D

i don't like Max, I want too but I just don't
I don't even want to.

Online aspenbubba

Will he even match Roarks number of wins last  season?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

No chance.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Nope...but Slate says that doesn't matter because his advanced metrics are so much better that Roarks are this year.

Maybe we can declare the Division winner based upon advanced metrics.  Oh, and trade Yunel just as soon as we can.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Nope...but Slate says that doesn't matter because his advanced metrics are so much better that Roarks are this year.

Maybe we can declare the Division winner based upon advanced metrics.  Oh, and trade Yunel just as soon as we can.

Offline HalfSmokes

2015 NL East WAR leader pennant?

Online Slateman

Two no hitters

Offline whytev

Two no hitters

Roark would have thrown three.

Offline chritter

Two no hitters

Only four other pitchers in MLB history have matched that, the last one Nolan Ryan in the 70s.  Pretty impressive.

Online Slateman

Offline BeltwayBaseball

Unfreakingbelievable. Two no-hitters, both of them near perfect, one the batter chickened out and the other an error by a third baseman. Zero hits, zero walks, 55 outs. Unbelievable. Second highest game-score of all time, one point lower than Kerry Wood's game, highest ever for a no-no (perfect game, really). 28 perfect outs, even better than 27, just like Kershaw, Galarraga and Walter Johnson. 17K. That's probably the second greatest game pitched, ever, maybe first. 9K in a row. On the road, against some Nats killers.

Maxie, not only have you elevated Nats baseball to all-time great heights, but you have effectively eliminated the rival Mets in the NLDS. They ain't getting over this one. If we ain't gettin' in, they ain't going nowhere. If Gio and Max were something, they will be helpless against Kershaw and Greinke. 

See you next year. :clap:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Unfreakingbelievable. Two no-hitters, both of them near perfect, one the batter chickened out and the other an error by a third baseman. Zero hits, zero walks, 55 outs. Unbelievable. Second highest game-score of all time, one point lower than Kerry Wood's game, highest ever for a no-no (perfect game, really). 28 perfect outs, even better than 27, just like Kershaw, Galarraga and Walter Johnson. 17K. That's probably the second greatest game pitched, ever, maybe first. 9K in a row. On the road, against some Nats killers.

Maxie, not only have you elevated Nats baseball to all-time great heights, but you have effectively eliminated the rival Mets in the NLDS. They ain't getting over this one. If we ain't gettin' in, they ain't going nowhere. If Gio and Max were something, they will be helpless against Kershaw and Greinke. 

See you next year. :clap:

One more bro.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

One more bro.

Not from him, though. But yes, I will enjoy the prospective sweep tomorrow :twisted:

Mets may end the year losing 6 in a row - oh, and if the Dodgers win tonight (up 1-0 vs the Pads with Greinke on the mound) they clinch home field. If we beat 'em tomorrow, the Mets won't even be a 90 win team. :twisted:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline More of #34

We have two of the best players in baseball but no trip to the World Series.....yet.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
That's one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen

Offline sportsfan882

So disappointing. Why didn't he pitch like this when we needed him in July and August with the season on the line??

Offline sizzlin

So disappointing. Why didn't he pitch like this when we needed him in July and August with the season on the line??

Him pitching like this for the whole season is not really realistic but I sure wish he hadn't sucked so bad in August.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Overall ends the season with a 2.89 era and he'll likely be fourth in the nl cy young race. Not too shabby.