Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76282 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Truth. And if the pen was better they wouldn't have pushed him so hard.

3 of those games were potential, or actual, no-hitters.  He's not getting pulled in those regardless...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I would rest him a start and see what happens after that.

Already did that.
You're averaging it out over the season. It's not the same. Pitch several nine inning games, get dead arm, then go four for the next three, and you're at the same average number of innings as if you pitched your usual 6-7 innings each game.

Most likely, we are just seeing what almost every other team sees when they sign a guy to a huge contract - a really bad first year.

But, to contrast that point, his pitch counts are lower than at the same point last year. He's going deeper in tk ball games, but he's pitching less

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If scherzer doesn't fix whatever is ailing him this team his hosed for a long time.

Offline whytev

3 of those games were potential, or actual, no-hitters.  He's not getting pulled in those regardless...

That's true, but it's appearances like this that haunt:

http://mlb.com/r/game_article?gid=2015_05_06_miamlb_wasmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=mlb

What was he doing up at 114 pitches with that kind of lead? Facing Stanton?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
What was he doing up at 114 pitches with that kind of lead? Facing Stanton?

Standard Decision...  ;)

Offline ExposFan87

I know it's not politically correct to comment on, but I do wonder if Matt Scherzer's limited by his condition

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I know it's not politically correct to comment on, but I do wonder if Matt Scherzer's limited by his condition

The eyes thing...nah...wouldn't think so...

BTW...welcome to the forum...  :thumbs:

Offline ExposFan87

It certainly would stand to reason that it would help if he could see out of both of them..

Thank you for the warm welcome; the Expos forum I used to post on is now cam site.

Offline aspenbubba

I viewed todays game as pivotal and probably the most critical game of THE season. If we couldn't win with Scherzer on the bump we certainly are going to be eliminated before the next series against the Mets. I was  hoping with a dominant win today we could have set the tone for the remaining two games. Unfortunately Scherzer crapped the bed as he has been doing since the ASG. He was fortunate that there were only 3 solo shots as he was being hit hard all day. What a DB!

Why was freakin' Jansenn in the game is beyond me as his career is freakin' over. DFA him now.

Offline BigMeech

Scherzer is ass.

Offline twillia1

This is the greatest disappointment I have in management.  Leaders are supposed to put you into situations that allow you to succeed, assuming they know your strengths and weakness.  Mattie is OJT and a rigid student at that.

The consequence of his ineptitude is that we have fans turning on players who are trying as hard as they can.  I will challenge everyone to follow the 14June- 12July sequence and compare to any other month in his previous 2 years.  What we may now be seeing is a dead arm that compares, ironically, to that of Johan Santana.   

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
This is the greatest disappointment I have in management.  Leaders are supposed to put you into situations that allow you to succeed, assuming they know your strengths and weakness.  Mattie is OJT and a rigid student at that.

:clap:

Offline Ray D

There is nothing politically incorrect about suggesting this.  Different eye colors can in some cases suggest glaucoma.   I have glaucoma in one eye. My eyes are  both brown already but  glaucoma in one eye can turn that eye brown. 

Offline HalfSmokes

The consequence of his ineptitude is that we have fans turning on players who are trying as hard as they can.  I will challenge everyone to follow the 14June- 12July sequence and compare to any other month in his previous 2 years.  What we may now be seeing is a dead arm that compares, ironically, to that of Johan Santana.   

I don't like williams, but expecting six innings out of your supposed ace when you're bullpen is garbage isn't asking to much. If Williams had pulled scherzer, do you really think the results would be different? One of our spectacular pinch hitters would have struck out and the bull pen would have blown it in the sixth instead of Scherzer. This is what happens when the only reliable reliever you have is a one inning closer- the manager has to pick between a bunch of terrible options

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I don't like williams, but expecting six innings out of your supposed ace when you're bullpen is garbage isn't asking to much. If Williams had pulled scherzer, do you really think the results would be different? One of our spectacular pinch hitters would have struck out and the bull pen would have blown it in the sixth instead of Scherzer. This is what happens when the only reliable reliever you have is a one inning closer- the manager has to pick between a bunch of terrible options

Virtually everyone on this board thought Max should be pulled for a pinch hitter.  He was sucking and we had a chance to pad the lead.  You take your chances as they are presented...not have blind faith that your horse would get you to the 8th, as Matt said.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

See I just don't think this is true-as someone else posted at the time, leaving Scherzer in took the air out of the tires, he just didn't have it and everyone but Williams saw it, it WAS too much to expect him to go another inning.  I feel like our relievers play better with the lead but I may be mindfacting but regardless, Rivero has been mainly good, Treinen has bee much better as of late, then Storen and Pap I mean, I just think that was the better route than throwing a pitcher out there who has shown you for 5 innings he didn't have it :(

Offline HalfSmokes

See I just don't think this is true-as someone else posted at the time, leaving Scherzer in took the air out of the tires, he just didn't have it and everyone but Williams saw it, it WAS too much to expect him to go another inning.  I feel like our relievers play better with the lead but I may be mindfacting but regardless, Rivero has been mainly good, Treinen has bee much better as of late, then Storen and Pap I mean, I just think that was the better route than throwing a pitcher out there who has shown you for 5 innings he didn't have it :(

Rivero and Treinen both gave up runs. I can't think of a combination of relievers on this team that I'd trust to pitch the three innings between pulling Scherzer after the 5th and Paplebon in the 9th

Offline tomwvr

100% correct

Offline vicki4471

Since the signing of Scherzer pretty much guarantees JZIMM is gone , JZIMM will CGSO the Mets today. LOL

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Rivero and Treinen both gave up runs. I can't think of a combination of relievers on this team that I'd trust to pitch the three innings between pulling Scherzer after the 5th and Paplebon in the 9th
Honestly, I would have trusted Rivero to get out of a clean inning. I felt like Matt tried too hard to play match up baseball. At a certain point, your guy just has to be better and Rivero is that kind of pitcher.

Offline HalfSmokes

Rivero isn't better, he's just the best bad option, but even if you think he gets you an inning, you still have another two before you get to Paplebon- are you putting in Jansen, Fister, Treinen? Maybe let Storen blow it in the 8th?

Offline whytev

Rivero isn't better, he's just the best bad option, but even if you think he gets you an inning, you still have another two before you get to Paplebon- are you putting in Jansen, Fister, Treinen? Maybe let Storen blow it in the 8th?

Rivero is freaking nails. Easily the 3rd best guy in the bullpen. However, he pitches a lot. You can't count on him every day, especially when he goes 2 sometimes.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Rivero is freaking nails. Easily the 3rd best guy in the bullpen. However, he pitches a lot. You can't count on him every day, especially when he goes 2 sometimes.

Completely agree about Rivero, he should be in the "good" category.