Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75438 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
i caught the mid-atlantic sports report before the game, the guys on the show were saying that he's having arm-slot issues, that his slot changed after the ASB, and that he hasn't figured out how to get it back to where it was.

C & D referred to the same "slot" issue during the game.     Must be the Nats' line (not that it's not true).

Offline Optics

3 runs with Scherzer on the mound should be a win.

He's been mediocre at best post ASB. Gigantic waste of $.

But at least I got to see him pitch a no hitter. That was nice.  :icon_frown:

Offline aspenbubba

11 freakin' hits and only 2 runs scored against him !! WTF?

Offline Mattionals

11 freakin' hits and only 2 runs scored against him !! WTF?

Struggling through poor mechanics, and he finally "stepped up". 11 Hits, but 10 Ks means he did a great job. That is the first time since the ASB that he has been "the stopper".

Offline Natsinpwc

Didn't see the game but not ready to say he has turned the corner; he had lots of strike outs last Friday also but gave up the long ball twice.  Avoiding that last night is what saved him

Offline aspenbubba

Struggling through poor mechanics, and he finally "stepped up". 11 Hits, but 10 Ks means he did a great job. That is the first time since the ASB that he has been "the stopper".

Absolutely disagree

Offline rileyn

It's pretty easy to see why we are chasing the Mets.  The ace we lined up to face the Mets came up small.  I guarantee that Harvey and deGrom won't give up 5 runs and blow a 2 run lead in this series.  When we have needed Max the most.....  I guess next year we will have to limit him to 5 innings during the first half of the season.

Offline UMDNats

We had a chance to step on the throat today and our ace fell apart. As much as Matt Williams botches every decision ever, Scherzer needs to be even just average today and we win.

Offline pazzo83

Scherzer hasn't been ace-like for two months.  We could have gotten a better outing from Ross.

Offline twillia1

Before you blame the player for doing more than he was ever expected to be doing in a Cy Young year - recall

Scherzer has no pitching load history to match what Mattie has asked of him this year.  Scherzer is getting pounded on the radio this morning but , ahem, as I have been saying since game 2 NLCS, Mattie does not know his players.

Look at the link below and search for a 4 start stretch that he has gone beyond 8 innings.  Look at Cy Young years of 2013 and 2014 and consider that given the 4 start load between 14 June and 2 July of this year - he may have a dead arm.  He has never been in a stretch like that and although I understand the need for his no-hit performance, the following games were not excusable - Philly and Atlanta could stand to face that well rested bullpen for the 6th or 7th innings.

It would not surprise me that Scherzer is doing what he can, as he has all year, to lead and suck-it-up, but the responsibility of managers and coaches is to help the TEAM be in a position to win.  Total failure here by the manager - again.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28976/max-scherzer

Offline HalfSmokes

Or you can look at the contract and blame him for not living up to it- for $211 million I expect him to be one of the best pitchers in baseball and a workhorse because that's what he getting paid to be

Offline pazzo83

Yea, there is no excuse.  His usage seems comparable to past years.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Scherzer hasn't been ace-like for two months.  We could have gotten a better outing from Ross.

We did...yesterday...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
...Mattie does not know his players.

He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground...

Offline Natsinpwc

Scherzer saved the team the first few months along with harper and a couple of others.  However, that contract is already starting to be a albatross.  Could have signed JZ who is two years younger and then used the money for the bullpen.

Offline whytev

Before you blame the player for doing more than he was ever expected to be doing in a Cy Young year - recall

Scherzer has no pitching load history to match what Mattie has asked of him this year.  Scherzer is getting pounded on the radio this morning but , ahem, as I have been saying since game 2 NLCS, Mattie does not know his players.

Look at the link below and search for a 4 start stretch that he has gone beyond 8 innings.  Look at Cy Young years of 2013 and 2014 and consider that given the 4 start load between 14 June and 2 July of this year - he may have a dead arm.  He has never been in a stretch like that and although I understand the need for his no-hit performance, the following games were not excusable - Philly and Atlanta could stand to face that well rested bullpen for the 6th or 7th innings.

It would not surprise me that Scherzer is doing what he can, as he has all year, to lead and suck-it-up, but the responsibility of managers and coaches is to help the TEAM be in a position to win.  Total failure here by the manager - again.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28976/max-scherzer

He's on pace to match his innings and number of starts from last year.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
He's an anchor tied to the Nats' legs and thrown overboard.

Fire Rizzo before anymore Scherzers or Werths get signed.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Need to sit him the rest of the season. Maybe it's physical, maybe it's mental, but he sucks right now and it isn't a "cold streak." Whatever is wrong needs time to fix.

Sit him, pitch AJ Cole.

Offline Natsinpwc

Need to sit him the rest of the season. Maybe it's physical, maybe it's mental, but he sucks right now and it isn't a "cold streak." Whatever is wrong needs time to fix.

Sit him, pitch AJ Cole.
I would rest him a start and see what happens after that.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Sit him, pitch AJ Cole.

Not 100% unreasonable. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I would rest him a start and see what happens after that.

Nah, you're coming down the stretch. If the horse has nothing left you're done.

Offline Natsinpwc

Nah, you're coming down the stretch. If the horse has nothing left you're done.
The team is scoring runs now so you don't need shutouts. Give someone like Cole a chance for a start or two. Didn't help having Max out there today.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
You're averaging it out over the season. It's not the same. Pitch several nine inning games, get dead arm, then go four for the next three, and you're at the same average number of innings as if you pitched your usual 6-7 innings each game.

Most likely, we are just seeing what almost every other team sees when they sign a guy to a huge contract - a really bad first year.

He's on pace to match his innings and number of starts from last year.

Offline pazzo83

Re: The $210 MM Appreciation Thread - Max Scherzer
« Reply #223: September 07, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »
One could argue that he's underpaid.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline whytev

You're averaging it out over the season. It's not the same. Pitch several nine inning games, get dead arm, then go four for the next three, and you're at the same average number of innings as if you pitched your usual 6-7 innings each game.

Most likely, we are just seeing what almost every other team sees when they sign a guy to a huge contract - a really bad first year.

Truth. And if the pen was better they wouldn't have pushed him so hard.