Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75398 times)

Offline aspenbubba

You still think B+ ??     I'd say D+.

I'm not sure I would go that low. My grade was issued prior to the near perfect game and the one hitter.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
The pitching gave up three runs at Coors Field!  You simply can't lose this game.  YOU CAN'T!

Scherzer is was obviously still working on some mechanics, but even with that he was able to battle and yield only 2 ER in Coors over 6 innings. He gave the team a chance to win without having his best stuff. I'll take that. He ain't the problem. You can't need to have your starter throw shutout ball in Coors.

That said, I still hate Barrett and Treinen and don't know why Treinen is in the game to pitch to a lefty.

Offline Ray D

Scherzer is was obviously still working on some mechanics,

When you spend $210M you HAVE to get a shutdown pitcher.  A guy who when he's the pitcher you EXPECT to win.  Not a guy who in August is still trying to find his mechanics. It's to the point that when he pitches I really don't have any confidence that we'll win.  Am I the only one here who finds this so pathetically absurd.

Online Natsinpwc

When you spend $210M you HAVE to get a shutdown pitcher.  A guy who when he's the pitcher you EXPECT to win.  Not a guy who in August is still trying to find his mechanics. It's to the point that when he pitches I really don't have any confidence that we'll win.  Am I the only one here who finds this so pathetically absurd.
Bad time for a slump but how quick everyone forgets he was great the first 4 months of the season and without him we would have been behind the Mets at the end of July.  And further out now. I didn't think it was a smart signing but let's face it the Nats rotation has been a mess all year. Strasburg sucked the first 4 months and/or was injured. (Of course now that he has had a couple of good starts he is back to being our ace according to several geniuses here.). Gio has been up and down. Fister awful. JZ has slipped. Without Max the team would not have been over .500 through July.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Bad time for a slump but how quick everyone forgets he was great the first 4 months of the season and without him we would have been behind the Mets at the end of July.  And further out now. I didn't think it was a smart signing but let's face it the Nats rotation has been a mess all year. Strasburg sucked the first 4 months and/or was injured. (Of course now that he has had a couple of good starts he is back to being our ace according to several geniuses here.). Gio has been up and down. Fister awful. JZ has slipped. Without Max the team would not have been over .500 through July.

It isn't like Scherzer has been struggling for months. He hit a rough patch for sure. Every pitcher has off days. Unfortunately, he has actually been faltering with mechanics for a stretch of starts. Not what you want to see, especially from the Ace. Regardless, he did what you want from your Ace on a bad night and battled with what he had and gave the team the chance to win. He could have easily looked like his old self and still given up a couple of runs over 6+ innings in Coors field. While his pitching mechanics have been a concern, it certainly wasn't the issue with last night's game. That was the offense.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
Again, let's not forget the 2 runs he yielded were from bloops, and Reyes got on, charged to him, on a bloop single. So not only did he only give up 2ER in 6IP Coors, but they weren't even clean hits. He got really unlucky, didn't have his best stuff, but battled and still only gave up 2ER in the most offense-bloated ballpark in the majors. That's an ace to me. Probably shouldn't have been sent out to start the 7th, but our team should be scoring 4 runs a game in every ballpark, let alone freaking Coors Field.

Offline Truconfidence

Again, let's not forget the 2 runs he yielded were from bloops, and Reyes got on, charged to him, on a bloop single. So not only did he only give up 2ER in 6IP Coors, but they weren't even clean hits. He got really unlucky, didn't have his best stuff, but battled and still only gave up 2ER in the most offense-bloated ballpark in the majors. That's an ace to me. Probably shouldn't have been sent out to start the 7th, but our team should be scoring 4 runs a game in every ballpark, let alone freaking Coors Field.
THIS!!

Offline Ray D

So not only did he only give up 2ER in 6IP

I reiterate, 3 earned runs.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Lol freak the bloops. No one says we get lucky when we score off bloops. Shouldn't a guy who can strikeout like him be able to make pitches that can't be fought off into the OF?

He's been crap since the All-Star Break. Not an ace.

Offline sizzlin

Scherzer is not an ace

Offline Ray D

Scherzer - Putrid, Putrid, Putrid
« Reply #185: August 28, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
It makes me puke listening to Williams, Knight, Holliday, FP, etc. talk about how great Scherzer is, but just ran into some bad luck on a few pitches that he "left up in the zone".  Scherzer is a stinking pile of putrid rat crap.

Offline pazzo83

Re: Scherzer - Putrid, Putrid, Putrid
« Reply #186: August 28, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
He's flat.  His FB is flat.  His pitch selection is freaking terrible (probably part of that blame goes to Ramos).

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #187: August 28, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »
Scherzer has been sliding downward since mid-season. Was he over-worked?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #188: August 28, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
For what he's paid he should be Koufax.  Did anyone complain that Koufax was overworked.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

« Reply #189: August 28, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »
For what he's paid he should be Koufax.  Did anyone complain that Koufax was overworked.

Yeah, Koufax did, when it ended his career. :hysterical:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #190: August 28, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »

Is this a joke? :lmao: Yes, Koufax is one of the great examples of an overworked arm and this is discussed all the time. He retired at the peak of his career because of overuse.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #191: August 28, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »

No...just overrated and overpaid...

Offline BeltwayBaseball

« Reply #192: August 28, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
Is this a joke? :lmao: Yes, Koufax is one of the great examples of an overworked arm and this is discussed all the time. He retired at the peak of his career because of overuse.

Funny story, Dr. Frank Jobe was a little tardy in inventing his now renowned surgery. Had he tried it about ten years earlier, it would have been known as "Sandy Koufax Surgery" and Tommy John would have been just another patient, not a part of Major League history.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/14/dr-frank-jobe-it-could-have-been-sandy-koufax-surgery/

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

i caught the mid-atlantic sports report before the game, the guys on the show were saying that he's having arm-slot issues, that his slot changed after the ASB, and that he hasn't figured out how to get it back to where it was.

Online Natsinpwc

i caught the mid-atlantic sports report before the game, the guys on the show were saying that he's having arm-slot issues, that his slot changed after the ASB, and that he hasn't figured out how to get it back to where it was.
Can't he just mark it with a sticky

Offline UMDNats

max scherzer right now

Offline UMDNats

update: max scherzer right now

Offline sizzlin

Offline aspenbubba

I was going to start a poll asking if Scherzer would win another game before the season "officially " ends. I calculated that he has 7 more starts. Some against the Mets and some against the Marlins and Phillies. He has been symptomatic of the inconsistency of our starters. Zimmermann , Gio I'm looking at you also. I'm freaking pissed.

Offline Ray D

Yeah I know the whole story.  I never heard him complain about BEING overused,  he had an inhuman curve ball that ruined his elbow, so if there was overuse, he overused himself.  Price of success, and worth it.  He could have chosen a different path: don't throw curves and be an ordinary pitcher for 20 years.  I think he took the right path.