Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75437 times)

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
I think the toxicity in the clubhouse is starting to get to him.

Me too, I mean how can it not at this point? Did you see what happened to Papelbon? A swinging bunt, a steal, followed by a bunt. Gives up no clean hits and still gives up a run on a sac-fly. Are you crapting me? This club is just going in a bad way right now, simple as that. Mix that with perhaps Scherzer having over-pitched prior to the break and you've got a recipe for fat pitches. He's getting beat in weird ways too, giving up homers to Danny Duffy and Descalso, two doubles that were only inches fair...other than being beat by Pence and CarGo it's just been unlucky and strange.

Offline Matugi

34.2 innings in four starts.  110 pitch average over 6 starts.  Well over a 4.00 ERA since.  freak Matt Williams

Offline rileyn

Well with his post-game quotes after getting shelled again, Scherzer sure is fitting in with the others, "It's August.  Talk to me in September.  We can make this up in one week."

I have no words.

Offline HalfSmokes

Well with his post-game quotes after getting shelled again, Scherzer sure is fitting in with the others, "It's August.  Talk to me in September.  We can make this up in one week."

I have no words.

I really hope the local media starts throwing those quotes back at them in September

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Other than Rendon's out-of-character snippiness the other day, I really don't care what they say after games. What exactly are they supposed to say? They have to stay positive and put losses behind them immediately. They can't do a slow burn about a bad performance. They have to turn around and go out there the next day and play to win. (Well, not tomorrow in a pitcher's case.)

The alternative is Papelbon-like divisive statements.

I have no words.

Offline GburgNatsFan

:roll:
I really hope the local media starts throwing those quotes back at them in September

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zuck:

Well, over his last eight starts, Scherzer has now given up 26 earned runs. His ERA during this stretch is 5.05, his WHIP a pedestrian 1.21.

Offline Natsinpwc

Zuck:

Well, over his last eight starts, Scherzer has now given up 26 earned runs. His ERA during this stretch is 5.05, his WHIP a pedestrian 1.21.
Has clearly worn down; wonder if something is wrong?

Offline MorseTheHorse

Skip his next start, let Fister go instead?

Offline Natsinpwc

Skip his next start, let Fister go instead?
I might do that but the Nats won't.  They are stubborn. Also would look like an admission they are giving up this year.

Offline Matugi

Start him, standard decision

Offline twillia1

Scherzer has no pitching load history to match what Mattie has asked of him this year.  Scherzer is getting pounded on the radio this morning but , ahem, as I have been saying since game 2 NLCS, Mattie does not know his players.

Look at the link below and search for a 4 start stretch that he has gone beyond 8 innings.  Look at Cy Young years of 2013 and 2014 and consider that given the 4 start load between 14 June and 2 July of this year - he may have a dead arm.  He has never been in a stretch like that and although I understand the need for his no-hit performance, the following games were not excusable - Philly and Atlanta could stand to face that well rested bullpen for the 6th or 7th innings.

It would not surprise me that Scherzer is doing what he can, as he has all year, to lead and suck-it-up, but the responsibility of managers and coaches is to help the TEAM be in a position to win.  Total failure here by the manager - again.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28976/max-scherzer

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

He's hanging crap over the plate.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
He's hanging crap over the plate.

...for the next 6 plus years...

Offline GburgNatsFan

Nah. He was great at the beginning of the season before all those long, long outings. He'll be fine once we have a middle reliever we can trust and a bench bat that's worth using.

Next year. Until then?

Standard decision.

...for the next 6 plus years...

Offline rileyn

We are 2-5 in Scherzer's starts since the ASB.  That ain't cutting it, folks.  We need more from him.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
We are 2-5 in Scherzer's starts since the ASB.  That ain't cutting it, folks.  We need more from him.

6IP 2ER is pretty good in Coors. Especially when the two runs come on bloops from the pitcher. Only scoring two off of Flande? Inexcusable. We could run Cy Young out every game and still go sub-.500 if we're going to roll over to these chumps.

Offline PC

The pitching gave up three runs at Coors Field!  You simply can't lose this game.  YOU CAN'T!

Offline aussienatsfan

The pitching gave up three runs at Coors Field!  You simply can't lose this game.  YOU CAN'T!

yeah, Max was poor but it was on the gross offense

Offline rileyn

2-5 though.  Outpitched by a guy that went 7 innings for the first time this year, and with a catcher making his MLB debut.  We could go 2-5 with Taylor Jordan starting and save the $210 mill to sign some other assets. 

Offline Ray D

6IP 2ER 

3 earned runs.

That ain't cutting it.  Not even close.   Scherzer is a bust.  When you pay $210M you expect superman. You expect the guy to win nearly every game.  26-5 would be about par for that money.   That may seem like high expectations, but it is an obscene amount of money; money that could have been spent far more wisely and it's gone now.   What the hell did we pay that much for?   

Offline Optics

Bust is going too far, but he's basically been league average at best post ASB. He's still good and I expect him to get it going again soon. He's always been a career 3 ERA guy so some regression was to be expected.

Offline aspenbubba

Does anyone who flamed me when I graded Scherzer a B+ wanna take it back? In case you forgot it can be found in "The whose fault is it ? thread on June 18th. Didn't think so.

Offline Optics

Just heard on 980.

Flande has beaten Scherzer twice this year.

This is the same guy that pitched against the Harrisburg Senators earlier this year.

Offline Ray D

Does anyone who flamed me when I graded Scherzer a B+ wanna take it back?
You still think B+ ??     I'd say D+.