Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76437 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I've seen the greatness of Astacio, O'Connor, and Bascik, and Scherzer looks better than them too.  Damn.

Mike pitched for us in 2006 and 2008 - then he pitched 6.2 for the Mets in 2011 giving up 5 hits, 3 walks but only 2 runs.  After that he hung around the minors till 2013, last pitching for Rochester.  Nice guy, I think his mom used to post here.  Sure didn't throw very hard though.  Pitched in college for GW.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Steve Rogers, Bill Lee, Dennis Martinez, . . .

Offline whytev

he may end up the 3d best pitcher to ever pitch for the franchise, behind the Big Unit and Pedro.

:couch:

Big Unit only achieved greatness after.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Big Unit only achieved greatness after.
right.  Pedro did get a Cy with the franchise.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I love him :lol:

Max Scherzer ‏@Max_Scherzer  · 2h2 hours ago 
Well who was the last one to use Nationals Park last? Taylor Swift..  I blame her for the power outs tonight. We now have #BadBlood

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I love him :lol:

When he's good...he's really good.  When he's bad...he's really bad.

Kinda like Roark...

Offline Ray D

And he was REALLY bad last night.  Bad 3 of his last four starts.  Might have been pitcher of the month June, but he's making a case for bum of the month July.

And how about our (projected) Historically Great Starting Rotation.  It's come to the point where there isn't a single current starter that I'm comfortable with, that I am confident we'll win because he's pitching.   Each one is a unique case, but with Scherzer, with the money we're spending, we expected more.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Kinda like Roark...

Yea, seems like the more charming I find him the worse he pitches  :?

But Roark used to be mister consistency until Williams started jerking him around so I give him more of a pass than our $210 million dollar man.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

But Roark used to be mister consistency until Williams started jerking him around so I give him more of a pass than our $210 million dollar man.

I never thought we needed to do the Scherzer deal to begin with, but now I'm starting to think that Rizzo really got snookered...

...and we've ruined Roark in the process...

Offline Matugi

And I thought you people were reactionary before, mother of god

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
And I thought you people were reactionary before, mother of god

I see...gotta have faith, huh?  Sorry, maybe at $1MM per year like Tanner gets, not at $1MM per game pitched like Max gets...

Offline Matugi

I see...gotta have faith, huh?  Sorry, maybe at $1MM per year like Tanner gets, not at $1MM per game pitched like Max gets...

That you can even compare Roark with Scherzer and maintain a straight face and not feel a shred of shame about it is laughable.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
That you can even compare Roark with Scherzer and maintain a straight face and not feel a shred of shame about it is laughable.

Roark was 15-10 last year.  Where does Scherzer end up this year sporting his oh so average 10-8 record?

And I screwed up...Roark is making $530K this year.  So Scherzer makes 56 times what Roark makes.  Worth it?  I think not...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

If you could go back to getting all steamy over Tyler Moore, that would be great.

Offline Matugi

Roark was 15-10 last year.  Where does Scherzer end up this year sporting his oh so average 10-8 record?

And I screwed up...Roark is making $530K this year.  So Scherzer makes 56 times what Roark makes.  Worth it?  I think not...

>pitcher wins

im done

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Bernie Sanders should include Sherzer in his anti-CEO and -banker screed

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Bernie Sanders should include Sherzer in his anti-CEO and -banker screed

Senator Sanders' screeds should begin and end with the body of which he's a member. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Pretty sure Scherzer is still the top pitcher in baseball by WAR?

Just checked, he is

Offline madj55

Time to earn your money.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Time to earn your money.

he'll never do enough to earn all that money  >:(

Offline Optics

He's regressing. To be expected I guess, he's always been around a 3 ERA SP, but we need him to be at a Cy Young level the last two months. 3 ER in 6 IP against Arizona is disappointing.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
He's regressing. To be expected I guess, he's always been around a 3 ERA SP, but we need him to be at a Cy Young level the last two months. 3 ER in 6 IP against Arizona is disappointing.

I think either C & D or Bob and FP were wondering if it was that stretch of all those complete game/8 inning games that has worn him down.  Would extra rest this month help do you think?

Offline HalfSmokes

Would extra rest this month help do you think?

It would give him a longer offseason to recover

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

ouch, ok not an option I guess. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

We seem to be on track for that...