Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 75413 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
June NL Pitcher of the Month
I'm thinking Captain Obvious was in charge of the vote.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'm thinking Captain Obvious was in charge of the vote.

Daley

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
So that's how you beat Max Scherzer.

Two infield hits, a sac bunt, and an umpire looking the other way.

Hell of a game, Maxie. You deserved better from the Nat's offense, from Lady Luck, and from the damn umpires.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
 :cheers:
So that's how you beat Max Scherzer.

Two infield hits, a sac bunt, and an umpire looking the other way.

Hell of a game, Maxie. You deserved better from the Nat's offense, from Lady Luck, and from the damn umpires.

Offline Bloo

Now he's really Mad Max with all the crappy run support he's getting.

Offline Hogie

This contract is freaking garbage and I'm not going to wait until it's a huge punchline to say that. Rizzo can rot in hell for this albatross crap.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
This contract is freaking garbage and I'm not going to wait until it's a huge punchline to say that. Rizzo can rot in hell for this albatross crap.

Hogie being Hogie.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Well, with Strasburg no longer worth being obsessed over, he had to move on to someone.
Hogie being Hogie.

Offline Natsinpwc

At some point it will be an overpay. Let's enjoy it for now.

Offline More of #34

The guy is remarkable - he gives 100% one hundred percent of the time.  The run support he receives, however, leaves much to be desired.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Everything Nolan Ryan wishes he could have been.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
:w: orth it

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Slayed the AngelOs at Camden Yards :worship:

Offline houston-nat

3,315 - Nats franchise record (as far as I can tell?????) for most pitches thrown in one season, set by Gio Gonzalez.

4,009 - Nats franchise record for most pitches thrown in one season, Livan Hernandez 2005
246.1 - Nats franchise record for most IP in one season, Livan Hernandez 2005

Max Scherzer could smash the innings record. Too efficient for the pitches one, luckily (?).

Offline houston-nat

By the way, the Nats have only had 6 pitchers reach 200 IP, ever. Livan is the only guy to do it twice. Jordan Zimmermann missed a second 200IP season by a single out.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I've seen Gooden, Guidry, and Seaver (home team, full seasons). Scherzer looks better than any of them.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
@AndrewSimonMLB
When Max Scherzer won AL Cy Young two years ago, his K-to-BB was 4.3. Last year, it was 4.0. This year, it's 10.7,

Offline Optics

Scherz is 30, turns 31 in a couple of weeks. This might be mind facting but don't a lot of Ps actually get better after 30? Like they hit that 2nd gear or something.

Offline GburgNatsFan

If they survive to 30 with a high 90s fast ball, it's hard to imagine a precipitous decline. Pitchers get craftier with age.
Scherz is 30, turns 31 in a couple of weeks. This might be mind facting but don't a lot of Ps actually get better after 30? Like they hit that 2nd gear or something.

Offline Optics

If they survive to 30 with a high 90s fast ball, it's hard to imagine a precipitous decline. Pitchers get craftier with age.

Yeah, its kinda like QBs in the NFL. They hit 30 and they may not have quite the laser rocket arm but their experience, craftiness, and guile make up for it. It becomes more of brains over brawns.

I don't see Scherzer really declining for at least another 4-5 years. I'm not saying he'll be this dominant all the time, but I think he has another 3 years of 3 or sub 3 ERA, and then maybe another 2 years where he's in the 3.5 ish range(basically solid B to B+ type Pitcher)and then after that at age 35+ he falls off. But by then hopefully we'll have at least one World Series and we can just write the end of the contract off as the cost of doing business. Its like the Yanks with CC Sabathia. Yeah he may not be any good anymore but they got some great years out of him, including a World Series, so they can probably live with it.

Offline Matugi

@AndrewSimonMLB
When Max Scherzer won AL Cy Young two years ago, his K-to-BB was 4.3. Last year, it was 4.0. This year, it's 10.7,

People love them some Greinke but the only stat he's better in is there overrated ERA.  Considering the defense Scherzer gets to play with he's the midway Cy Young

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I've seen Gooden, Guidry, and Seaver (home team, full seasons). Scherzer looks better than any of them.

I've seen the greatness of Astacio, O'Connor, and Bascik, and Scherzer looks better than them too.  Damn.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
he may end up the 3d best pitcher to ever pitch for the franchise, behind the Big Unit and Pedro.

:couch:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
he may end up the 3d best pitcher to ever pitch for the franchise, behind the Big Unit and Pedro.

:couch:

Love it