Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76204 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I stand by this post on page 1 of this thread.

I expected a good pitcher, but I thought I thought there was no chance he would reach the value of his contract. Going into 2015 the value of 1 WAR for a pitcher was a bit under $10 mil.

By that metric, Scherze is on pace to quite literally be a huge bargain. He already has 18 fWAR in only three years. Even if he falls apart and only averages 2 WAR these next four years, he outperforms his contract with room to spare.

Great signing. Will be first Hall of Famer to have been a Nat in his prime. Hope we accomplish enough he also is first HOFer to wear a :w: hat.

This is regular season division title nonsense. We didn't pay 210 million for back to back Cy Youngs and no hitters. We paid for dominance in the playoffs. Dominance not found.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Hail Maximus!  :clap:

One of those should've been a perfect game.  Fng Tabata.

Both of them, actually...Yunel botched the other...

Online Slateman

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Congrats Max. Nice showings by strasburg and Gio too.

Offline Expos

This is regular season division title nonsense. We didn't pay 210 million for back to back Cy Youngs and no hitters. We paid for dominance in the playoffs. Dominance not found.

I agree. Love the guy but put up when it matters.

Same as Bryce. Put up or shut up

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Congrats Max. Nice showings by strasburg and Gio too.

Ah I was so pulling for Stras, I had him in our "prediction" thread in the beginning of the season! But good for Max, he is so fun to watch when he's on :clap:

Offline LoveAngelos

I agree. Everything a fan could want. The complete star but for.....no need to say anymore

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Truth is, you go to the ballpark whenever Scherzer or Strasburg starts, and you have in the back of your mind "wow, I could see something amazing in a good way today."  I don't think in most cities people go to the ballpark with as much excitement about seeing their pitcher as Nats fans do.  Maybe Mets fans when their guys are healthy.  Kershaw and Sale amaze too, and Kluber can mesmerize, but we have two who you go to the ballpark to watch feeling "history" every game. 

Online Slateman

How have I never seen this wonderful clip before?
It's ironic that Scherzer and Kluber are the Cy Young winners this year. Kluber has less personality on the mound than Strasburg. If they didn't show it on the screen, you wouldn't know what inning it was, what score it was, or how many pitches he'd thrown. Scherzer's the opposite.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Truth is, you go to the ballpark whenever Scherzer or Strasburg starts, and you have in the back of your mind "wow, I could see something amazing in a good way today."  I don't think in most cities people go to the ballpark with as much excitement about seeing their pitcher as Nats fans do.  Maybe Mets fans when their guys are healthy.  Kershaw and Sale amaze too, and Kluber can mesmerize, but we have two who you go to the ballpark to watch feeling "history" every game. 
I've somehow been to at least ten games live since Scherzer signed and never seen him pitch. Seen Gio five times though. And none were 2017 Gio.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Gio is a never you know what to expect when you go to the ballpark, too.  Can be great, can be bad Gio. You don't go expecting a no-no or 10+ Ks / no BBs / no hard contact, but he can produce it once in a while.

Offline DPMOmaha

How have I never seen this wonderful clip before?
I don't think the caption's quite right, but it's a beaut.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

JCA is FP...  :couch:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
JCA is FP...  :couch:
we held the ticket lottery for next season. Want to know your picks?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I've somehow been to at least ten games live since Scherzer signed and never seen him pitch. Seen Gio five times though. And none were 2017 Gio.

I've been to one regular season game and got to see Max :)  of course that was the game he got hurt :(

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Scherzer games are ones I really try to go to, because 1) he’s my favorite MLB player and 2) I don’t want to miss what could be a gem. I mean isn’t there some crazy stat that shows that 15% of his starts have no hitters thru 5?

Offline expos1994

Scherzer's the man. Always enticing to watch. Same with Strasburg. He sucked in Game 5... but it was Wieters that compounded the problems in that inning.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Scherzer's the man. Always enticing to watch. Same with Strasburg. He sucked in Game 5... but it was Wieters that compounded the problems in that inning.

Since I'm vehemently against starters coming in for relief, I dont hold that against Scherzer.

We have a bullpen of pitchers paid to pitch in the middle innings. Let them do their jobs.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
we held the ticket lottery for next season. Want to know your picks?

73-80?   :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
73-80?   :D
my system is much more sophisticated and fair.  You get 19 and 20 as your first two picks, then 39 and 40, all of this contingent on two runs of a random number generator applied to a 4 way split of the group.

Now that is :lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

This. But somehow that's still not good enough for some people. smh.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Ignoring how tonight ended.

Scherzer is amazing. He hasn't had an individual season like Harper in 2015, but overall the best National in the team's short history.

I think 30 or 40 years from now we will be telling kids and grandkids we watched Max Scherzer and he was the best pitcher of the early century and easily the best overall Nat. Hall of Famer. Hoping he goes in with a :w: hat

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Too bad he's wasting the prime his career playing for this pathetic franchise. The Lerners should write him a lengthy apology for how they've surrounded him with the Hindenburg.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Too bad he's wasting the prime his career playing for this pathetic franchise. The Lerners should write him a lengthy apology for how they've surrounded him with the Hindenburg.
I made a post about about how it is great to watch an amazing player, but I guess your response about him being wasted when he has actually pitched for two Nats playoffs teams makes sense.

I guess the end result is all that matters, not the journey. They should cut the 162 games down to a a couple dozen so we can get to the end quicker.