Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 79296 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The problem with throwing Gio in Game 1 is that then he has to start at least one other game. Do you want that? Me, personally, I'd rather get two starts out of Max and a start and relief appearance out of Roark.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

The problem with throwing Gio in Game 1 is that then he has to start at least one other game. Do you want that? Me, personally, I'd rather get two starts out of Max and a start and relief appearance out of Roark.

Yeah, but both his starts will be against Kershaw who probably gives up 0 ER in 18 innings.  I would half concede the 2 Kershaw games and try to win the rest.  Any maybe, just maybe we get lucky and win one of the 2 Kershaw games:  Turner wreaks havoc on the basebaths, causes defensive miscues, etc...

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Yeah, but both his starts will be against Kershaw who probably gives up 0 ER in 18 innings.  I would half concede the 2 Kershaw games and try to win the rest.  Any maybe, just maybe we get lucky and win one of the 2 Kershaw games:  Turner wreaks havoc on the basebaths, causes defensive miscues, etc...

You can't punt 2 games of a 5 game series, even if it is Kershaw, especially if that means only throwing Scherzer once when you could have thrown him twice.  You play to win the game.  You play. To win.  The game.

Offline Ray D

Who is pitching game 4 and why is nobody talking about that? The game 1 pitcher cannot pitch game 4 on normal rest; game 1 is Friday and game 4 is Tuesday -- four days later.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Who is pitching game 4 and why is nobody talking about that? The game 1 pitcher cannot pitch game 4 on normal rest; game 1 is Friday and game 4 is Tuesday -- four days later.

A bunch of relievers?

Online Slateman

So Max throws it on short rest.

The Dodgers haven't announced a Game 4 starter either.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Seriously though, and this might solve 2 problems...  You put Ryan Zimmerman on the mound for a game or 2.  He'd be a (slightly) above average hitting pitcher.  And I think the other team's hitters would be unable to touch his stuff, what with them being doubled over in laughter and all.

Offline Ray D

Who is pitching game 4 and why is nobody talking about that?
Now I see that there has been a thread on this that I hadn't noticed. So yes people are talking about it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Seriously though, and this might solve 2 problems...  You put Ryan Zimmerman on the mound for a game or 2.  He'd be a (slightly) above average hitting pitcher.  And I think the other team's hitters would be unable to touch his stuff, what with them being doubled over in laughter and all.

More likely they'd be literally unable to touch it, as it would be 5 feet over their heads, 3 feet outside, behind them, etc.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

More likely they'd be literally unable to touch it, as it would be 5 feet over their heads, 3 feet outside, behind them, etc.

I guess you're right.  There's a reason I'm not managing an MLB team.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
You can't punt 2 games of a 5 game series, even if it is Kershaw, especially if that means only throwing Scherzer once when you could have thrown him twice.  You play to win the game.  You play. To win.  The game.

Offline rbw5t

Max officially starting game 1

Offline More of #34

As it should be!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Max officially starting game 1
guess with the off day after game 2, Roark could pitch a couple of innings in relief in game 4 if needed.  This shows a commitment to 4 starters, i think.

Offline HalfSmokes

Surprised this hasn't been bumped

Offline rileyn

He's gotta be better than he was tonight.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He's gotta be better than he was tonight.
the dingers are a problem, but more or less, other than the 3 run rally, no one got on.  1 HBP erased by a double play in the 1st. Utley hits it closer to Murphy, Max goes 8 effectively.

Online Slateman

the dingers are a problem, but more or less, other than the 3 run rally, no one got on.  1 HBP erased by a double play in the 1st. Utley hits it closer to Murphy, Max goes 8 effectively.
It's a problem that is not going away. It's only going to get worse in a year or two when he loses velo on his fastball

Offline whytev

It's a problem that is not going away. It's only going to get worse in a year or two when he loses velo on his fastball

It's true. When he gives up solo shots, he usually wins. When he lets runners on first, he usually loses.

Offline HalfSmokes

So how was the play mrs Lincoln?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
So how was the play mrs Lincoln?
I thought the part where the guy jumps from the box in the balcony onto the stage was quite dramatic.

Offline DPMOmaha

Welp, this is why we paid the man; for games like Thursday's.

Online Slateman

3.93 ERA in the post season. Not exactly confidence inspiring

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
3.93 ERA in the post season. Not exactly confidence inspiring

You're right. Start Gio

Offline RiotAct

Gott.