Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76384 times)

Offline whytev

You said it nicer than I was thinking it.    :)

I said it nicer than I was thinking it too.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Yeah. It was Max's fault.  :roll:
I didn't watch a minute of it and I don't give a flying freak about his no-hitter.  Where the hell was he when we needed him.
He didn't need to pitch two no-hitters and a near no-hitter.  If he had spread out that brilliance over several of his stinkers, we might still have been in the race.

Offline NatsGirl

Honestly, as frustrating as Max's second half struggles were, I place no blame on him.  He carried the team for the first half.  Without him, there's no way the Nats would've have the NL East lead going into the second half.

It's awesome that his no-hitters were against playoff teams. The Dodgers and Cubs got no hit too.  Mets and Dodgers twice.  Funny how the works.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
http://bbwaa.com/15-nl-cy/

Scherzer finished 5th in Cy Young voting. Was only on 19 of the 30 ballots

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
This ass has been misrepresenting himself as an ace.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
This ass has been misrepresenting himself as an ace.

(Image removed from quote.)

:crackup: :thumbs:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
He's not been sharp out of the gate. His track record promises improvement so I'm not in :panic: mode yet but whenever your super high priced ace is shaky it is cause for some concern.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
He's not been sharp out of the gate. His track record promises improvement so I'm not in :panic: mode yet but whenever your super high priced ace is shaky it is cause for some concern.

"Shakey?"

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
"Shakey?"
I was being diplomatic.

He looks crappy.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
If he regresses early into his deal, this will really hurt the team.

Offline HattoriHanzo

Rusty says:

Max wasn't sharp today.  (No crap)

Max saved the bullpen by going 5.  (What a guy)

We have 3 games against Minnesota and then an off day.  (doh)

Need to go home and regroup.  (more doh)

Offense looked a little bit sluggish.  (even more doh)

Not worried about Max.  (really?)

It was a decent road trip.  (4-3?  OK)

Not much else from Rusty, Skippy...sorry...

Phil Wood called Espi a "Gold Glove shortstop."  STOP TEH MADNESS...he is NOT a Gold Glove shortstop!

Dusty is Matt Williams with much more charisma. His game calling in the playoffs are brutal too. But for now I'd settle for just making the playoffs and hope he doesn't crap the bed as he's done numerous times in the past.

Offline PC

This dumpster fire certainly isn't helping the prospects of spending the big dollars on Strasburg and Harper.

Online HalfSmokes

Did 450 innings over two years break him? Vark may actually end up being right about Roark vs scherzer

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

Offline Optics

Is he injured? What's his deal? He really hasn't been himself all year. His fastball isn't blowing by guys and his offspeed stuff is hanging.

Right now he's our 4th best P. Looking more and more like we should have just used half Scherzer's money to resign J-Zimm and the other half could go towards Stras.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Is he injured? What's his deal? He really hasn't been himself all year. His fastball isn't blowing by guys and his offspeed stuff is hanging.

Right now he's our 4th best P. Looking more and more like we should have just used half Scherzer's money to resign J-Zimm and the other half could go towards Stras.

He's actually our worst starter now...

Offline HattoriHanzo

He's actually our worst starter now...

And stuck with him for 5 more season. Gotta hope he'll bounce back or he'll be an albatross on the rotation. The Lerners should have saved the money for a Strasburg extension instead. Who's going to be next year's ace? Joe Ross?

Offline Ray D

Is he injured? What's his deal?

What's his deal? He's a piece of crap.  That's his deal.

Offline monkeyhit

What's bigger than an albatross?  Ostrich???

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
And stuck with him for 5 more season. Gotta hope he'll bounce back or he'll be an albatross on the rotation. The Lerners should have saved the money for a Strasburg extension instead. Who's going to be next year's ace? Joe Ross?

Could have kept Strasburg and Zimmermann...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I might be in the minority, but I think Scherzer will be just fine.   

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Yeah, me too.    He's simply the flavor of the week.   Next week, we'll be back on Roark's or Gio's case.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I think he'll work through it and turn it around. It's not like he's gone full Marquis or Haren. His track record is solid.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Max is on 106.7 today at 1:30 PM.