Poll

Which Max year was better, 2016 or 2017? (reply 865 has some comparitive stats)

2016 - better record, more innings, more Ks
0 (0%)
2017 - better ERA, WHIP, FIP; personal best ERA relative to league; fewer HRs per fly, per IP
10 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: The $210 Million Man - Scherzer Appreciation and Doubts  (Read 76463 times)

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
He's not over worked- he's not even going to touch his 2013 innings total, if you want to complain about a stretch when he averaged less than 8 innings a game, what do you think is reasonable- a quick hook after 7?

He had 47.2 - that's literally 1 out away from being 8 per over 6 starts. And that's only because he got knocked out quick after only 4.2 against Cincinnati from being exhausted, take way that start and there's no game he didn't pitch 8 or pitch into the 9th. I don't know that any pitcher can do that without having to reduce their workload thereafter and work their way back up, especially a guy who never did it in his career and has never been a guy to complete games. Max is no freak of nature like Walter Johnson, nobody is. Randy Johnson and Bryce Harper are really rare players, let's just be grateful we have one of 'em.

Again, totals aside, it's a marathon and he used up too much energy in one burst I think, and now he's going into the last lap flat. I mean he's not injured and most days he has a feel for his pitches but just can't finish them off or execute, it has to be workload right? I say if you're a World Series contender, you walk a fine line between keeping your starter and your bullpen both fresh - wear out the kids who aren't going to be on the postseason roster if you have to. We weren't supposed to be the team that needs to ride the hot hand too hard like the Rockies in '07, the Royals last year and even the Yankees this year. We were supposed to be absolutely loaded, but we all know how that went, so it's sort of a moot point.