Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29128 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #450: December 14, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
Can't help but wonder who the jerk was that determined that the OD of an A/C filter should be the exact same size as the ID of the filter's air handler orifice...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #451: December 14, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »
Can't help but wonder who the jerk was that determined that the OD of an A/C filter should be the exact same size as the ID of the filter's air handler orifice...

In the old place I bought a filter from Costco, great price, but it was almost the exact size of the orifice. I had to get a screwdriver and practically rip the filter to shreds to get it out. I went back to the Nordic Pure brand from Amazon which is a 1/4 inch smaller than the opening which made for easy removal.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #452: December 14, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
In the old place I bought a filter from Costco, great price, but it was almost the exact size of the orifice. I had to get a screwdriver and practically rip the filter to shreds to get it out. I went back to the Nordic Pure brand from Amazon which is a 1/4 inch smaller than the opening which made for easy removal.

I get mine from filterbuy.com, no issues with fit.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #453: December 14, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »

They can be a bit squirrelly to get in there sometimes.

We have a nice Carrier unit (before they exported manufacturing to Mexico) but have a reusable filter, just hose it off outside to clear it.  However, it's not able to filter allergens to any extent, and my wife is bothered quite a bit in the springtime.  So I ordered a pack of filters meant to do a better job of that, but with the tradeoff that I'd have to change them out and dispose quite a bit more frequently.  All of a sudden the things sold out everywhere (COVID?  China trade war) and Lowes killed my order without explanation.

Anyway, this has little to do with your post but I just wanted to vent to someone.   :rant:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #454: December 14, 2020, 08:27:26 PM »

We have a nice Carrier unit (before they exported manufacturing to Mexico) but have a reusable filter, just hose it off outside to clear it.  However, it's not able to filter allergens to any extent, and my wife is bothered quite a bit in the springtime.  So I ordered a pack of filters meant to do a better job of that, but with the tradeoff that I'd have to change them out and dispose quite a bit more frequently.  All of a sudden the things sold out everywhere (COVID?  China trade war) and Lowes killed my order without explanation.

Anyway, this has little to do with your post but I just wanted to vent to someone.   :rant:

Airfiltersdelivered.com- a necessity for me thanks to a size no one stocks

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #455: December 14, 2020, 08:31:01 PM »
Airfiltersdelivered.com- a necessity for me thanks to a size no one stocks

Thanks, will try that.  We do have an uncommon size. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #456: December 14, 2020, 08:32:04 PM »

Amazon
Filterbuy.com

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #457: December 14, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
I've used filters-now.com for our new A/C.  It got a little confusing because the size listed on line for that unit was 1/2 different  than what the installer told me to use. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #458: December 14, 2020, 08:45:40 PM »

It works for us but, I think there are bigger sites with better quality, they’re just the only ones we can find with 20x30x1 filters

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #459: December 14, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
It works for us but, I think there are bigger sites with better quality, they’re just the only ones we can find with 20x30x1 filters

I just tried Amazon and they have a ton with varying MERVs in that size.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #460: December 14, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
I just tried Amazon and they have a ton with varying MERVs in that size.

I really don’t trust amazon at all, especially for something that like a filter where quality costs slightly more to manufacture. It could be merv 10, it could also be merv 2- there’s no way to know

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #461: December 14, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
Here's what I was looking to buy when Lowes unceremoniously canceled my order for no reason.

6-Pack 1900 MPR Maximum Allergen 19.875-in x 21.5-in x 1-in Electrostatic Pleated Air Filter

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #462: December 14, 2020, 08:52:22 PM »
I really don’t trust amazon at all, especially for something that like a filter where quality costs slightly more to manufacture. It could be merv 10, it could also be merv 2- there’s no way to know

You doubt Filtrete?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #463: December 14, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
You doubt Filtrete?

I doubt what I receive is Filtrete. Amazon commingles products with the same sku and has no effective way to deal with counterfeits (other than to disclaim liablity)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #464: December 14, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »
Here's what I was looking to buy when Lowes unceremoniously canceled my order for no reason.

6-Pack 1900 MPR Maximum Allergen 19.875-in x 21.5-in x 1-in Electrostatic Pleated Air Filter

https://www.amazon.com/Aerostar-Pleated-MERV-13-20x22x1/dp/B01CR9K0VK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1TFDVTMYR64TY&dchild=1&keywords=20x22x1+air+filter+6+pack&qid=1607997613&sprefix=20x22x%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-5

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #466: December 14, 2020, 09:06:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The first customer posted image- this is why I don’t trust amazon

:crackup:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #468: December 14, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »

We use the Nordic Pure Merv 12 with Carbon media.  I have about an 18 months supply and glad that I do...

You can buy directly from Nordic Pure.  Our 16x20's run us about $60.00 for a 6 pack...

https://nordicpure.com/product/16x20x1/

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #469: December 15, 2020, 04:40:06 PM »
Air filters are the new TP eh?  Glad I stocked up last year.  Too bad Michael Bay says it won't be enough :mg:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #470: December 21, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
The electric company here, Duke Energy, is offering the Google Nest thermostat for $50 off. Does anyone have one of these, do you like it, think it's saving you some $$, and would you recommend it or not?  I don't have Alexa or any other smart device to tie this into so it'd be stand alone in that regard (until I make that leap and it's not on my radar). Thanks.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #471: December 21, 2020, 03:22:11 PM »
The electric company here, Duke Energy, is offering the Google Nest thermostat for $50 off. Does anyone have one of these, do you like it, think it's saving you some $$, and would you recommend it or not?  I don't have Alexa or any other smart device to tie this into so it'd be stand alone in that regard (until I make that leap and it's not on my radar). Thanks.

For our upstairs heat pump, we have a Lennox Wi-Fi thermostat. Like the Nest, it can be controlled via an app.  Unlike the Nest, I can't use a home device to tell it to change the temperature.  With both devices, if they lose Internet connectivity they still work and can be controlled at the device, but not through the app. So since you don't have a smart home device,  you can control it via the app or by going directly to it.  They will also tell you the outdoor temperature.  My Lennox device even reminds me when it's time to change the air filters, and will display an error code if the system has an issue.

There have been a few studies showing that they save money by better controlling temperature based on time and season. They also start heating or cooling the home in advance of your set time.  So say if you have set your thermostat to be at 68 degrees at 7 AM, and 58 before, they will figure out how long it takes to heat to 68 and start the furnace/heat pump at the right time to hit 68 at 7 AM.

I've installed multiple thermostats, they are very easy to do.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #472: December 21, 2020, 03:31:39 PM »

i have had a nest 3rd gen thermostat in 2 homes now. biggest perks, throwing away smart home features that you don't care for as of today:

- changing temp in app away from home. i love being able to set the heat on before i leave work so the house is already warm when i get home
- learns your habits and where you like it. after a month in my new house it knows i keep it cold at night so auto-sets to 67 degrees, re-sets to 70 by 8 am roughly
- eco mode auto-sets when you leave the house and keeps the house within a wide set of temps (my mins are 65/80)
- again, app use for me is awesome. peace of mind too when away from home because they send you alerts if it's too hot/cold. (outside your min/max)
- i have had these in my homes for pretty much the entire time i've lived in them, so can't compare, but i get monthly reports saying how much energy i saved compared to peers. my old house had crap insulation and it had to run a lot but my new house heats up real quick and my heat has only had to run for a total of 2-3 hours per day here. not bad at all.

if you invest in other smart home products it is really great. i am all google-based but use 3rd party smart plugs, bulbs, etc. all my non-fixture lights are automated at this point. just need to grab a few nest smoke detectors. i have 2 cameras, too.

i am a classic loser millennial who can't do crap and i've installed two of these myself. frankly you can get a Nest thermostat for cheaper on OfferUp/eBay than $50 off. if they are offering the newest model (aka the entry level one with no learning) then it's cheap enough to try it out IMO.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #473: December 21, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »
Son in law has had the Nest in Cincinnati and here in Orlando. Have no idea if it saves money but does seem to learn your habits.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #474: December 21, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »
There have been a few studies showing that they save money by better controlling temperature based on time and season. They also start heating or cooling the home in advance of your set time.  So say if you have set your thermostat to be at 68 degrees at 7 AM, and 58 before, they will figure out how long it takes to heat to 68 and start the furnace/heat pump at the right time to hit 68 at 7 AM.

I've installed multiple thermostats, they are very easy to do.

The previous owner put in 2 American Standard heat pumps in 2016 with their corresponding company thermostats.  I don't have any issues with the AS thermostats as they are programmable, have the filter reminder and do everything except the wifi connection.  One of the things I like about the Google Nest is that it senses when no one is home and automatically adjusts the temp. As retirees we don't have that typical 9-5 work schedule away from home that I can program into the thermostat but for the impromptu trips to the store or wherever if the thermostat can do its thing without manual intervention every time we go to somewhere that'd be pretty sweet.

I agree with you about the ease of swapping thermostats out. Being in our old place for 35 years I replaced a few of them. For a standard AC unit there were only 4 color coded wires which made things easy peasy. This is my first time fiddling with a heat pump but I believe there are 5 wires.