Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29432 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #375: March 31, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
Got a hard wired attic fan.    Wanna remove it.   How hard is it to "cut" the wires and cap them off without injurin' myself ...  or burnin' down the house?     I'm gettin' my roof replaced and want the fan gone but I don't wanna pay the roofers to "cut the cord".   I want them to be able to simply remove the fan (one way or the other).

Thanks

We got a new roof just last year and they were happy to remove it, cover the hole with a sheet of plywood and shingle it up.   Let them do it, it won't cost much and you are correct in wanting it out.  Leaving it in place however represents a weakness in your roof that could be a point of water entry.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #376: March 31, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
One more question, I swear.    How 'bout between the on/off switch box and the fan (10 feet or so)?       If that's OK, I may go with that and let a skilled electrician/handy man deal with the junction box.   Thanks again ....

Just checking, when you say "cut,", you aren't actually cutting wires, right? You're removing the run from the fan to the switch box? Removing the switch, covering the supply wires with wire nuts and covering it with a solid cover?

All wires must terminate in a box.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #377: March 31, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
We got a new roof just last year and they were happy to remove it, cover the hole with a sheet of plywood and shingle it up.   Let them do it, it won't cost much and you are correct in wanting it out.  Leaving it in place however represents a weakness in your roof that could be a point of water entry.   

Thanks.    Missus sez I'm cheap.   I think I'm thrifty so I'm always lookin' for the least costly way of doin' things.    Problem is I'm not an electric man.    I don't wanna fry or burn the house down.    The fan needs to come out.    I'll look around tonight and make a decision tomorrow.     As you mention, I may just ask the roofers to remove it.    The boss told me the roofers can do general contracting work.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #378: March 31, 2019, 05:50:26 PM »
Just checking, when you say "cut,", you aren't actually cutting wires, right? You're removing the run from the fan to the switch box? Removing the switch, covering the supply wires with wire nuts and covering it with a solid cover?

All wires must terminate in a box.

I was thinking about cuttin' and cappin' 'em where they lie (not necessarily in a receptacle/box).    Later, I would get an experienced person to finish the job off.    I just wanna get the fan out.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #379: March 31, 2019, 05:58:22 PM »
I was thinking about cuttin' and cappin' 'em where they lie (not necessarily in a receptacle/box).

Please don’t do this.  :shock:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #380: March 31, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »
I was thinking about cuttin' and cappin' 'em where they lie (not necessarily in a receptacle/box).    Later, I would get an experienced person to finish the job off.    I just wanna get the fan out.

Dangling live wires are a bad idea- if you go down that route at least buy a cheap plastic junction box to put the ends in

Offline mitlen

« Reply #381: March 31, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
Please don’t do this.  :shock:

Dangling live wires are a bad idea- if you go down that route at least buy a cheap plastic junction box to put the ends in

So the plan should be to cut the wire and then place the capped ends in an empty box/switch box and place a flat cover over it.   I may use a box larger than a switch box, maybe another junction box.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #382: March 31, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
So the plan should be to cut the wire and then place the capped ends in an empty box/switch box and place a flat cover over it.   I may use a box larger than a switch box, maybe another junction box.

You’ve already stated you’re not comfortable playing with wiring, do you want to do that while in the attic?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #383: March 31, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
You’ve already stated you’re not comfortable playing with wiring, do you want to do that while in the attic?

Spoke to the missus last night (she's out of town).    Told her I'm hesitant to do it because I'm supposed to pick her up at Dulles.   I don't wanna be hangin' through a hole in the ceiling, unable to move and not making it to the airport.    I'd be better off dead.

I was gonna be a smarta** and write  ...  "That's where the wires are."     :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #384: March 31, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »
Spoke to the missus last night (she's out of town).    Told her I'm hesitant to do it because I'm supposed to pick her up at Dulles.   I don't wanna be hangin' through a hole in the ceiling, unable to move and not making it to the airport.    I'd be better off dead.

Correct. Let the roofer do it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #385: March 31, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
Correct. Let the roofer do it.

We'll see.    :)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #386: March 31, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
We'll see.    :)

Does this have to be done tomorrow?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #387: March 31, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
Does this have to be done tomorrow?

They're bringing the supplies tomorrow (placin' on the roof) and showin' up Tuesday for installation.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #388: March 31, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
They're bringing the supplies tomorrow (placin' on the roof) and showin' up Tuesday for installation.

I’m off Tuesday but it sounds like it should be done by then?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #389: March 31, 2019, 06:31:03 PM »
I’m off Tuesday but it sounds like it should be done by then?

Yep.    Tomorrow if I do it.    If not, the roofers can mess with it on Tuesday.    Either way, I want the fan gone so I might let them do it.   I'm sure it won't be their first rodeo/attic fan.    I'll will you any spare Nats' tickets in case it doesn't work out.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #390: March 31, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »
I'll will you any spare Nats' tickets in case it doesn't work out.

Thanks, I think. :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #391: March 31, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
Step 1:   Find the right circuit breaker.   

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #392: March 31, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
Step 1:   Find the right circuit breaker.   

Step two, find a walker or a wheelchair, you old ***...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #393: March 31, 2019, 08:41:56 PM »
Step 2, be sure, getting that one wrong ends badly

Offline mitlen

« Reply #394: March 31, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
Step 2, be sure, getting that one wrong ends badly

I did.    :)    No matter who does the work, I'll probably shut the power off for the house.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #395: March 31, 2019, 08:57:41 PM »
I did.    :)    No matter who does the work, I'll probably shut the power off for the house.

Get the respirator, you tired olf freaker...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #396: April 02, 2019, 10:38:39 PM »
Roof got done.    The crew took care of the ceiling fan.    Nice job and it hasn't leaked  ....   yet.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #397: April 05, 2019, 06:14:12 PM »
Roof got done.    The crew took care of the ceiling fan.    Nice job and it hasn't leaked  ....   yet.    :)

Did they remove it completely and shingle over the old hole?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #398: April 05, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »
Did they remove it completely and shingle over the old hole?

Yes.    Put in a new piece of plywood before shingling.    Figure that way there won't be any surprises for anybody on the roof in the future.    :)    Took out the dish as well.    Thinking about attaching it to the trunk of my 22 year old Saturn.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #399: April 05, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
Yes.    Put in a new piece of plywood before shingling.    Figure that way there won't be any surprises for anybody on the roof in the future.

As long as they properly secured it, but yeah.  I would just slap a couple of wire brads on it and hope the shingles held it all together.