Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29522 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #175: September 26, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
How old are your current cabinets? What are they made of?

I think you'll notice the degradation first on shelves which are often also made of particleboard. The cases will probably be fine.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, how else can I justify the $400 blender

But are IKEA cabinets going to hold up over the next five years?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #176: September 26, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
How old are your current cabinets? What are they made of?

I think you'll notice the degradation first on shelves which are often also made of particleboard. The cases will probably be fine.

They are from the original build and they are pure crap. They are particleboard.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #177: September 26, 2015, 08:46:22 PM »
It does break down over time. That's where plywood has the advantage.

We got our cabinets at Home Depot. The prices were reasonable. The installers (independent contractors, but just barely) were excellent too.

They are from the original build and they are pure crap. They are particleboard.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #178: September 26, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
We'll be doing the installation ourselves, with my BiL's help. Judging by how well the floor and laundry closet has turned out, I have complete faith that there will be no problems with installation.

And, to be honest, I don't know if it's plywood or particle board. But your point is taken, wife seems open to looking at IKEA.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #179: September 26, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
I would give Home Depot a shot at it. See what they come up with. Our experience was very good. They know how to find value and help you pick out important features from bullcrap. Worse comes to worst, it's another datapoint. :shrug:

We'll be doing the installation ourselves, with my BiL's help. Judging by how well the floor and laundry closet has turned out, I have complete faith that there will be no problems with installation.

And, to be honest, I don't know if it's plywood or particle board. But your point is taken, wife seems open to looking at IKEA.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #180: September 26, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, how else can I justify the $400 blender

That's about how long we've had ours, they've withstood two kids pretty well. Even if they did get damaged, it would be pretty simple to swap a door or box for a new one (ours are white, so color matching wouldn't be an issue).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #181: September 26, 2015, 09:38:10 PM »
They've held up in my basement with snotty rich girl renters, who might as well be freaking anarchists or taliban when it comes to other peoples' crap. So I'd say yes.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #182: January 26, 2016, 04:45:54 PM »
Hate to bring this up but   ...

I have a cranky downstairs bathroom.    I've had occasional blocked toilets.    Usually the plunger works fine.    Now I have "issues".    I tried a snake (3') and it really doesn't accomplish much.    I find that "plunging" over and over at least allows some of the water go down.    Anybody have any home remedies?    I don't wanna pour any corrosives down the toilet and I'm not ready to be gouged by a plumber yet.    Is there something like baking soda, etc. that can open up the plumbing?

Follow up:     Did some googlin' and found ...  put a large amount dishwashing liquid in the bowl.     Add as much very hot water as you can in the bowl.     It seems to have worked.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #183: January 26, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Hate to bring this up but   ...

I have a cranky downstairs bathroom.    I've had occasional blocked toilets.    Usually the plunger works fine.    Now I have "issues".    I tried a snake (3') and it really doesn't accomplish much.    I find that "plunging" over and over at least allows some of the water go down.    Anybody have any home remedies?    I don't wanna pour any corrosives down the toilet and I'm not ready to be gouged by a plumber yet.    Is there something like baking soda, etc. that can open up the plumbing?

Follow up:     Did some googlin' and found ...  put a large amount dishwashing liquid in the bowl and put as much very hot water as you can in the bowl.     It seems to have worked.

I was posting this as you edited:

Some have suggested a cup of Dawn diswashing detergent, allow it to sit for 15 munites, then "flush" with a bucket of hot water.

Seems legit...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #184: January 26, 2016, 05:08:01 PM »
I was posting this as you edited:

Some have suggested a cup of Dawn diswashing detergent, allow it to sit for 15 munites, then "flush" with a bucket of hot water.

Seems legit...

I was surprised.     I've been plungin' and nagin' all day.    Went to Home Depot and bought a heavy duty 3' snake.     Plungin' and snakin' didn't seem to accomplish alot.    The google search gave me the option of dishwashing liquid and hot (very hot) water.    Boom.    Water went right down.       

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #185: January 26, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
I was surprised.     I've been plungin' and nagin' all day.    Went to Home Depot and bought a heavy duty 3' snake.     Plungin' and snakin' didn't seem to accomplish alot.    The google search gave me the option of dishwashing liquid and hot (very hot) water.    Boom.    Water went right down.     

Glad that worked...sometimes simple is better...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #186: January 26, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »

I told the missus though there is no tellin' how much all the plungin', snakin' and nagin' helped.    :)

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #187: January 26, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
An air "blaster" can work miracles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPMPPWY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I live in an older house with older plumbing and I'm not fond of dumping corrosive stuff down the drain. I used this to clear a badly clogged bathtub --- snake, plunger, chemicals, patience, all failed. Took about 45 seconds to clear the clog with this thingie and it's stayed cleared. Loaned it to my neighbor and she had similar success with a stuck toilet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #188: January 26, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
An air "blaster" can work miracles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPMPPWY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I live in an older house with older plumbing and I'm not fond of dumping corrosive stuff down the drain. I used this to clear a badly clogged bathtub --- snake, plunger, chemicals, patience, all failed. Took about 45 seconds to clear the clog with this thingie and it's stayed cleared. Loaned it to my neighbor and she had similar success with a stuck toilet.

Very reasonably priced  ...   may have to pick one up next time I'm out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #189: January 26, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »
Probably a "soft" clog.  Get the 6' snake and all of your problems will be solved.  The blasters will work on "soft" clogs but if there's a hard obstruction in the pipe those can blow them out and damage the pipe. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #190: January 26, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
I was surprised.     I've been plungin' and nagin' all day.    Went to Home Depot and bought a heavy duty 3' snake.     Plungin' and snakin' didn't seem to accomplish alot.    The google search gave me the option of dishwashing liquid and hot (very hot) water.    Boom.    Water went right down.     

A 3' snake?    :hysterical: :hysterical:

My snake is much bigger than that, at least 8 feet. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #191: January 26, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »

Slate will be here in a minute to tell everyone just how big his snake is...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #192: January 26, 2016, 10:47:47 PM »

I live in a small house.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #193: January 26, 2016, 10:58:31 PM »
Sometimes the clog is WAY down there. Our big one was like 70' away (collapsed terra cotta pipe due to tree roots and, oh, a century of use). Wound up being just outside our property line though, fortunately

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #194: January 27, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »
I use a kettle full of boiling water on the shower drains every week. Kids use so much product that drains are just a soap clog in waiting.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #195: January 27, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »
Slate will be here in a minute to tell everyone just how big his snake is...
My snake is enormous

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #196: January 27, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »
Four words. I expected much more.

My snake is enormous

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #197: January 27, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »