Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29439 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #125: July 11, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »
The "professional" came over and sprayed some dust (hmmmmm) into the hole.   They're gone today.   No activity at all.   In fact, I cut the grass yesterday and didn't see any "jackets".
I wanted them to die by my own hands after what they did to me!  If he sprayed something down there I doubt you will see any living creatures in there for several years.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #126: July 11, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »
I wanted them to die by my own hands after what they did to me!  If he sprayed something down there I doubt you will see any living creatures in there for several years.

I let a pro handle it.    I thought about going the gasoline route.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #127: July 18, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
Update time!!!!!!

Drywall time. Since I figured that it would house the washing machine and dryer, I elected to use the mold resistant drywall in the new laundry closet. The ceilings of all the closets have it as well, as it's right underneath the HVAC vent. As I was tearing it apart, I noticed condensation, so I figured that the mod resistant stuff would be the best option.

Coat closet next to the new laundry closet. It was right about here that I believe I started pooping dry wall during the workday.

So this is the other side, in the bed room. As you can see, there is still some space left over for a closet. And this bedroom has another closet on the opposite corner of the room that is now about the same width (but much deeper).

Drywall complete, mudding done, paint applied. Even the baseboards are installed. At this point, the only thing left to do was hook up the electrical and connect the dryer vent. My wife put in a coat rack on the left, and that tape on the right is for shelving in the near future.

LOOK WHAT ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!

Gotta say, the last bit of vent work was a colossal nag. The delivery guys were early and they had to take the old washer and dryer first (I was using the old dryer to stand on and get up in to the ceiling). Ended up buying a  step ladder and having my wife help push the last bit of pipe in to the connector. But it's in. And the latest test from the vent shows there is quite a bit of air being pushed out.

Well, that's it for a little while. I might post some pictures of the kitchen when I knock the wall down and it's open.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #128: July 21, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »
Got the main water line replaced last week and I have to say - it was a pretty impressive job the crew did to get the line hooked up.  Easily the best $4,000 we've ever spent since the water pressure is now through the roof and the 1920 lead connector from the main water supply to the curb stomp is now gone with the wind.  Minus digging out the boulevard and part of the road to access the water main they didn't have to disturb anything since the copper line was gophered using a suction tool.  Really great work.

Digging the hole:

The 12" water main supply:

Double barrelled 7' holes:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #129: July 21, 2015, 10:59:47 AM »
Since we're showing off pipe pictures (fortunately the failure was just outside our property line, or we'd have been on the hook for beaucoup beaucoup):

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #130: July 25, 2015, 09:42:49 PM »
The good news, I found out this morning that while I'm a bit allergic to fire ants and yellow jacket's, I'm not allergic to wasps.    :lol:

But that bastard was sneaky quick.  I had dropped the boat I use off for the owner at his new cottage down on the water in NC, and there was a small nest right overhead at the opening of the garage.  I was rooting around for the seat pedestal when the sucker nailed me on the lower hamstring.  I turned around and swung the post like I was hitting a high, inside fastball and sent him across the driveway.  I then reached up and (in anger) knocked the nest off. 

A few seconds later there were two more on my ass so we locked the garage and got the hell out of there.   :run:

Just a red spot and a bit of a welt, but I had some Cortaid with me and put it on, it helped a bit and after a couple of hours it stopped burning.  It did burn quite a bit for a while though.

I've seen lots of other people get stung but I had previously been able to escape their slow moving attacks.  But, this guy used stealth to get me.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #131: July 25, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
The good news, I found out this morning that while I'm a bit allergic to fire ants and yellow jacket's, I'm not allergic to wasps.    :lol:

But that bastard was sneaky quick.  I had dropped the boat I use off for the owner at his new cottage down on the water in NC, and there was a small nest right overhead at the opening of the garage.  I was rooting around for the seat pedestal when the sucker nailed me on the lower hamstring.  I turned around and swung the post like I was hitting a high, inside fastball and sent him across the driveway.  I then reached up and (in anger) knocked the nest off. 

A few seconds later there were two more on my ass so we locked the garage and got the hell out of there.   :run:

Just a red spot and a bit of a welt, but I had some Cortaid with me and put it on, it helped a bit and after a couple of hours it stopped burning.  It did burn quite a bit for a while though.

I've seen lots of other people get stung but I had previously been able to escape their slow moving attacks.  But, this guy used stealth to get me.
You're a brave man.  And lucky!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #132: July 25, 2015, 10:16:38 PM »

I am...sent me to the ER on two occassions...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #133: July 25, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
Rub some dirt on it. :roll:
I am...sent me to the ER on two occassions...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #134: July 25, 2015, 10:40:48 PM »

Damn...wish I'd have thought of that...  :doh:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #135: July 26, 2015, 03:16:52 AM »
What impact does dirt have ?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #136: July 26, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

Makes it better. Just like drinking water and changing your socks.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #137: July 26, 2015, 12:56:53 PM »
Grunt medicine.
Makes it better. Just like drinking water and changing your socks.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #138: July 28, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

Mathguy,

You would have been legendary as the straight man in a vaudeville comedy duo.  Like Laurel and Hardy or Abbot and Costello legendary.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #139: August 30, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »
Curses, nailed again.      :rant:

Hiked over to fish a small pond near fair oaks hospital - laid my daypack down and when I picked it back up a wasp nailed me near the finger tip of my badfinger.  Burned like a mo-fo for about 10 minutes before it got numb.  Now, my finger is so swollen it's hard to type and I can't begin to close it.  Tomorrow I expect the back of my hand to swell.    :?

Hadn't been stung ever by a wasp that I can remember, now twice in the past 5 weeks.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #140: August 30, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

Hiked over to fish a small pond near fair oaks hospital - laid my daypack down and when I picked it back up a wasp nailed me near the finger tip of my badfinger.  Burned like a mo-fo for about 10 minutes before it got numb.  Now, my finger is so swollen it's hard to type and I can't begin to close it.  Tomorrow I expect the back of my hand to swell.    :?

Hadn't been stung ever by a wasp that I can remember, now twice in the past 5 weeks.
That's what happened to me.  You need to go to emergency care and get it taken care of.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #141: August 30, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »

Rotten bastards...I hate them with a passion...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #142: August 30, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
Your "badfinger?"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #143: August 30, 2015, 06:56:33 PM »
Your "badfinger?"

My one finger salute carries more heft today.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #144: August 30, 2015, 06:57:26 PM »
Is that why that band was called that? It never occurred to me.

My one finger salute carries more heft today.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #145: August 31, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »

Uh .... where is there a pond worth fishing near Fair Oaks?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #146: August 31, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
Do wasp stings hurt more than Yellow Jackets Tom?

I have wasps all over my deck, they are pretty passive, though. Worried about one of them getting the kid.

Yellow Jackets are super aggressive.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #147: August 31, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
I had a yellowjacket get inside my bike helmet a week or so ago. Bastard stung like hell, but no anaphylaxis this time (a good thing, being 15 miles from home). 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #148: August 31, 2015, 01:10:23 PM »
Do wasp stings hurt more than Yellow Jackets Tom?

I have wasps all over my deck, they are pretty passive, though. Worried about one of them getting the kid.

Yellow Jackets are super aggressive.

In my experience, Yellow Jackets hurt more and get the adrenaline really pumping.

Wasps make you swell up...all over.  I broke into hives all over my body within a matter of minutes following my first wasp bite and had to be transported to the hospital by ambulance...ordered by the attending doctor at urgent care...even after he administered epinephrine.  He justified it by saying they weren't equiped to deal with heart failure.

The paramedics told me to just call them next time... 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #149: August 31, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
I had a yellowjacket get inside my bike helmet a week or so ago. Bastard stung like hell, but no anaphylaxis this time (a good thing, being 15 miles from home). 

i ran over a hive with my lawnmower a few years ago, got stung about 5 times before i killed the ones that had flown up into my shorts and my sneakers.  It felt like getting repeatedly stabbed.