Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29559 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #425: October 20, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »
not sure if this is the right place or not but I figured I'd ask - has anyone had FiOS or an equivalent service installed recently that required the running of an ethernet cable across their house?

My situation is that the outside FiOS box (called an ONT) is on the left side of my house at the front left corner, on the other side of the wall from our living room.  When the house was built, the builder ran a coax cable from that location, under the sub-floor, to our study, on the opposite side of the house (it's a typical center-hall colonial design, the hall sits between the living room and study).  Since then, the basement has been finished.

The new FiOS setup requires running an ethernet cable from the ONT to the study.  Verizon will do this for us, but the chatter on the various on-line forums is that the installer will make it as easy for himself as possible, without regard to aesthetics.  My primary issue is that there's a door/hall between the ONT and the study.  Running it around the back of the house isn't an option due to distance and garage, so it would have to run across the front.

So, I'm considering running the cable myself.

I figure I have a few options:
1. Run the cable outside, and either trench it under our front stoop (preferred but difficult) or run it over the the top of the front door frame (easier, but uglier) (Yes, I know I have to use exterior-grade Ethernet cable)

2. Run the cable inside by removing the baseboard molding and the molding around the door (cleaner, but a ton of work).

3. Just run a loose cable across the floor (just kidding).

4. Move the wireless router to the living room so it's close to the ONT (wife dislikes this idea)

Has anyone done anything similar?  If so, any advice?  My current thought process is to go with option 4, and then either install the interior run myself or hire an electrician to do it.
Option 4. Just put something on the router to decorate it.