Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 19828 times)

Online NatNasty

Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #425: August 25, 2020, 05:50:05 PM »
Everyone down here is screaming bloody murder (on Nextdoor) about their electric bills from Duke Energy. But then I'm seeing on the net of a device called PowerVolt which purports to reduce your electric bill by up to 90%.  Has anyone bought such a device and if so does it work like advertised and is it worth the not very high cost?

https://orderpowervolt.com/

Does placing a magnet next to your meter to slow it down still work?  Magnets are pretty cheap.  You can even make one yourself. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #426: August 25, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
So out of curiosity, I decided to look into this to see how well they did presenting the device, reviews, etc. So, the website was registered in early July of this year for one year, updated on August 10th (registration info, not content), and is registered to Charlestown, Nevis in the West Indies.

The support email domain was also registered early July. While registering recently isn't automatically a problem, it's typical for sites that need to rebrand routinely. Next I went to Amazon to search and see what I could find. While Powervolt isn't selling devices on Amazon, a search for it comes up with what's clearly an earlier version, rebranded. The casing is the same, but the brand mark and wording on the sticker are different. Again, not exactly a positive sign.

Final step was to search the phonnne number provided, 8552270908. That led to a number of 3rd party reseller sites I've never heard of, and one place that seemed  to have a pretty objective analysis, sabireviews.com. The review also included a link to a BBC article (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-15984990), warning folks about how the company is scamming the elderly.

Final nail in the coffin? They mention a lifetime guarantee on their site, yet have no details on said warranty and expressly disavow liability for any damage to property or people caused by the devices.

So, what I guess I'm saying is, DCFan, buy like 30 of em.

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #427: August 25, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
Does placing a magnet next to your meter to slow it down still work?  Magnets are pretty cheap.  You can even make one yourself. 

:crackup:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #428: August 25, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
Steve Bannon's side gig?
So out of curiosity, I decided to look into this to see how well they did presenting the device, reviews, etc. So, the website was registered in early July of this year for one year, updated on August 10th (registration info, not content), and is registered to Charlestown, Nevis in the West Indies.

The support email domain was also registered early July. While registering recently isn't automatically a problem, it's typical for sites that need to rebrand routinely. Next I went to Amazon to search and see what I could find. While Powervolt isn't selling devices on Amazon, a search for it comes up with what's clearly an earlier version, rebranded. The casing is the same, but the brand mark and wording on the sticker are different. Again, not exactly a positive sign.

Final step was to search the phonnne number provided, 8552270908. That led to a number of 3rd party reseller sites I've never heard of, and one place that seemed  to have a pretty objective analysis, sabireviews.com. The review also included a link to a BBC article (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-15984990), warning folks about how the company is scamming the elderly.

Final nail in the coffin? They mention a lifetime guarantee on their site, yet have no details on said warranty and expressly disavow liability for any damage to property or people caused by the devices.

Online DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #429: August 25, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »

No problemo, as a senior member here I’ll put that on my WNFF charge card and let the Chief handle it. :mg: