Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29150 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #350: March 24, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
About 6 weeks ago my wife had an issue - she had itchy eyes in the morning, particularly one of them.  That evening, sitting around the dinner table the whole side of her face was sagging visibly, she couldn't blink and her speech was slurred.  I took her over to Fair Oaks Hospital where we got good news - it was Bell's Palsy, not a stroke or more dangerous issue.

So the next day she was lying in bed administering her eye drops, and noticed more good news, a stain the ceiling.  No, it was not the result of her lover's abilities, rather it was a very small leak that had led to the stain.  So with this as cause, I called my insurance company who promptly sent an adjuster - more good new!  My roof had substantial hail damage (God knows when it occurred, but many in the neighborhood have it) and they were going to pay for roof replacement for my 22 year old roof.  So to make a long story short  (too late) I got my replacement roof paid for ($10k) thanks to Bell's Palsy.  So full of win.

And to VARK's point, I did upgrade to the dimensional shingles, and also got Energy Star rated shingles that are reflective so that summer sun is less absorbed, I hope this will cause the upstairs of the house to be a bit cooler.