Author Topic: WP > Not a given that Rendon will return to 3b  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Optics

Why are we placating to Yunel freaking Escobar? We aren't talking about a superstar here. If he's being a malcontent, bench his ass.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
No one is placating, no one is malcontent. Wth people

Offline UMDNats

No one is placating, no one is malcontent. Wth people

It's going to be a bloodbath here if the team continues to suck.

Offline UMDNats

Why are we placating to Yunel freaking Escobar? We aren't talking about a superstar here. If he's being a malcontent, bench his ass.

Except he's not! Reading comprehension is hard.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
So hard.
Except he's not! Reading comprehension is hard.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
So hard.

But not harder than hitting a baseball.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
The Nats would be 0-7 without Yunel Escobar.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
But harder than algorithms, unless you're JW.
But not harder than hitting a baseball.

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
Trade Desmond. Put Escobar at SS, Rendon 3rd base. Hold your nose and put Espi at 2nd.

Do it now.

Offline Matugi

Do it now.

Espi hasn't been terrible at the plate, agreed.  Desmond is absolutely worthless on defense right now.

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
The Nats would be 0-7 without Yunel Escobar.

The Nats would be 7-1 without Ian Desmond.

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Good, tho sad, point.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Espi hasn't been terrible at the plate, agreed.  Desmond is absolutely worthless on defense right now.
Espi did this last year. Started out good and then collapsed. You can't rely on Espinosa. Whatever you trade Desmond for needs to be either a replacement level middle infielder or a prospect one.

Online Natsinpwc

To me all of this is because the Nats got too smart with themselves.  Should have just kept Escobar at 2B and has Ian Stewart start the season at 3B.  Had a decent spring and would have given us another lefty bat.  They fell in love with the new Uggla which has not worked out.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'd love Brock Holt on the Nats.  Not going to happen if Bogaerts is hurt,  and the Sox are smart enough to know the value of a utility guy like that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Let me guess, Rendon for Holt.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I can't recall one player that had his career shortened by a injury caused by playing second.

Fernando Vina is still looking for that mack truck that squashed him years ago.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Let me guess, Rendon for Holt.
Rice teammates. No, but decent bullpen help would have done the trick.  Blevins, for instance.  Both Holt and Den Dekker have options, and Holt is more versatile. 

Offline blue911

Fernando Vina is still looking for that mack truck that squashed him years ago.

I thought of him but he has hit by Belle in '96 and didn't retire until after the 2004 season. I thought of Brian Roberts screwing up his elbow covering first but it was the effects from numerous concussions that did him in. Ken Hobbs died in a plane crash so I ruled him out as well. 50 years ago, I'd probably agree with the inherent danger of playing second. But the game isn't played the same way and there are fewer out for blood players in today's game.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Didn't Brian Roberts injury himself hitting himself in the head with the bat after a strikeout?

Offline blue911

Didn't Brian Roberts injury himself hitting himself in the head with the bat after a strikeout?

That was the final straw but yes.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Can you DH for a position player and let the pitcher hit?  Maybe we should do that vs. AL teams and let Desmond hit for Espi and let Espi play SS.

Online dracnal

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: DH in MLB can only be for the Pitcher.  Interestingly enough, use of DH is not mandatory but is instead decided before the game starts.

Offline Ray D

However, you can put a pitcher in the DH spot.   

(Earl Weaver penciled in a roster pitcher as DH, a Jewish player who was out for Yom Kippur, and then put in a pinch hitter when his turn came up.  He did it so the other team wouldn't know who the real DH was.)