Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 243674 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1550: March 03, 2020, 07:44:20 AM »
Is that for good or just a seasonal closing ?

For good apparently

Offline wj73

« Reply #1551: March 03, 2020, 12:01:20 PM »
A bunch of Gordon Biersch places closed suddenly, including Rockville. Apparently the parent company has filed for bankruptcy.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/dine/gordon-biersch-closes-in-rockville-town-square/

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1552: March 03, 2020, 08:15:38 PM »
I have to admit I've never been a fan of German style brews

A bunch of Gordon Biersch places closed suddenly, including Rockville. Apparently the parent company has filed for bankruptcy.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/dine/gordon-biersch-closes-in-rockville-town-square/

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1553: March 04, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »

The one near Capital One Arena has also closed.

Online imref

« Reply #1554: March 04, 2020, 08:55:47 AM »
The one near Capital One Arena has also closed.

that one closed a few years ago IIRC. 

The old spy museum location would make for a nice restaurant.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1556: March 04, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »
Apparently the only ones left in the Mid-Atlantic region are at Tysons Corner and Annapolis (https://gordonbiersch.com/locations/).

Online imref

« Reply #1557: September 25, 2020, 11:12:27 PM »
Half price sale on almost everything, including the gold collection, at the team store this weekend.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1558: September 26, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
Half price sale on almost everything, including the gold collection, at the team store this weekend.
If I bought the gold collection, it would only be to burn it.  Bad karma.

I'd kind of like to buy a Ryne Harper jersey, just so folks could see "Harper" on it and ask me, "I thought Harper's number was 34 when he was with the Nats?"

Online imref

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!

Online imref

« Reply #1561: March 06, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »
Went down to the team store today. Parking is crazy, the yards lot was closed and street parking is nearly impossible to find. Half street is open again, unfortunately they only closed part of it to car traffic. One lane gets by. S capital street is partially closed next to the stadium.  There must be 30 or more restaurants within a short walk now. The area was packed.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1562: April 15, 2021, 03:20:56 PM »
For those who have actually gotten to go to a game this year, what's the vibe like at the park? Is the bullpen open? What is open outside of the park? I have some really colorful metaphors to describe the new bag policy, but I'll save those for the uncensored section. I've had new hardware put in me since the World Series so I don't know if I'll ping the metal detectors. I do at airports and Cap One. Going on a dry run tomorrow to recon possible illicit beverage ingress methods.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1563: April 15, 2021, 03:46:13 PM »
For those who have actually gotten to go to a game this year, what's the vibe like at the park? Is the bullpen open? What is open outside of the park? I have some really colorful metaphors to describe the new bag policy, but I'll save those for the uncensored section. I've had new hardware put in me since the World Series so I don't know if I'll ping the metal detectors. I do at airports and Cap One. Going on a dry run tomorrow to recon possible illicit beverage ingress methods.

Have you thought of using a drone?  not one of those pissant-sized civilian 4-rotor things, but a freaking Predator that can fire missiles with full bars as payloads?

Online imref

« Reply #1564: April 15, 2021, 04:14:00 PM »

haven't been to a game but we did visit the team store about a month ago. The vibe around the stadium seemed pretty normal, restaurants were open with reduced seating.  Traffic is awful due to construction all around the park, and parking options seem even more limited than before now that the Yards lot is closed (at least when we were there).

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1565: April 15, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
Have you thought of using a drone?  not one of those pissant-sized civilian 4-rotor things, but a freaking Predator that can fire missiles with full bars as payloads?

I have a DJI Mini 2 that is 249g (250g or heavier and you need to get a license.) Drones are frowned upon in DC airspace and I’m already on enough watch lists.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMst9qGDguS/?igshid=mc02bwpgg345

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMs14PlDK7l/?igshid=1csphthoegutq

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1566: April 15, 2021, 05:28:09 PM »

I have a DJI Mini 2 that is 249g (250g or heavier and you need to get a license.) Drones are frowned upon in DC airspace and I’m already on enough watch lists.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMst9qGDguS/?igshid=mc02bwpgg345

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMs14PlDK7l/?igshid=1csphthoegutq
too bad because you now will not face the dilemma of using a drone by the 1st base or 3d base ramps to lift a bottle up to you in a less observed part of the park. That just would not be right, but of course you now would not try this awesome feat.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1567: April 15, 2021, 07:51:41 PM »
too bad because you now will not face the dilemma of using a drone by the 1st base or 3d base ramps to lift a bottle up to you in a less observed part of the park. That just would not be right, but of course you now would not try this awesome feat.

My friend has a place 2 miles away from the new FredNats ball park as the crow flies. That is well within the flight envelope of my drone.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1568: April 15, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »

My friend has a place 2 miles away from the new FredNats ball park as the crow flies. That is well within the flight envelope of my drone.

Do you have something high end? I'm surprised that consumer drones can spend more than five minutes in the air. Batteries are heavy.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1569: April 16, 2021, 02:52:26 AM »
Do you have something high end? I'm surprised that consumer drones can spend more than five minutes in the air. Batteries are heavy.

I have a DJI Mini 2 with the "Fly More" package. It has 3 batteries that nest in a charging brick that can also be used as a power bank to charge phones or what not. Flight time/range is about 30 minutes per battery and I've seen videos where the guy flies about 3.75 miles straight out and back on a single charge. The package I got was about $600.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1570: April 25, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »

For those who haven't made it to a game yet, a couple things you'll want to be aware of.

- The new bag policy is restrictive, inconvenient and like most of the random oddball stuff we do these days, done under the guise of "Covid Precautions". My real guess is that they are trying to cut down on, or make bringing food items such sandwiches and bottled water less convenient to increase dependency on in park concessions to recoup funds lost during a fan-less season. I'm sure they'll tell you it was to reduce staff/fan interaction or decrease time spent around others waiting in line. Based on how long they had me waiting in line at Shake Shack after I got the text that my order was ready, I can say that that explanation holds zero merit.

- The Bullpen is open, but you have to sit at a picnic table and order from there via a menu from a QR code. That's pretty much the norm these days, no problem there. There is a limit of 6 people per table and once every table is occupied they stop letting people in. I didn't know this at the time of my first game back this season so I sat down at an empty table. A pair of fans asked if they could share my table as I was the only one there. I let them and shortly there after, I got a call from my friend saying they wouldn't let him in. After asking the pair to watch the table for me I was able to meet him at security and convince them that I had a table that was under capacity and was able to get him let in. I'm not sure about the rules on the standing tables or if they even allow them. If you get there and are meeting friends, get your ass to a table and don't move unless you want to get swooped on. The service is actually pretty quick, much faster than I expected. Prices went up just a bit to the tune of about a $1-2 per drink from 2019.

-New Restaurants down Half Street with expanded outdoor seating areas (Think temporary short fences pushed out to the yellow line dividing Half St). I hadn't gone to any of them yet, so I can't speak to the atmosphere or quality of experience at them, The Gatsby is on the list though because my girlfriend likes making all of our dining experiences financially painful. There wasn't as many street vendors as There used to be, I think I just saw one selling the knock off Nats gear and old promo items. I don't know if this is a permanent shift or an anomaly for the two games I've been to.

-In Park Concessions. My brief experience is that they are still working out a lot of bugs with the way they are handling mobile ordering and there is confusion from both the staff and the customer. I waited over a half hour in a line at shake shack for a burger that I had already received a text about stating that it was ready. Additionally, they don't let you customize or modify the burger in any way through the mobile app so I can't understand why it isn't just a "Grab and Go" experience. Hopefully they get it figured out.

-Security. The new gate policy makes sense with the color coding so you don't have massive crowds flooding the center field gate. Basically, the color on your ticket dictates which gate you can enter the park through. It seemed to be loosely tied to where your seat is in the two games I went to, but that's just a guess on my part. The metal detectors are tuned down significantly compared to at an airport or Cap One were pre Covid. For example, at an Airport, after doing my gear dump for the x ray machine, the body scanner will pick up the steel bolts in my hips but not the titanium rods in my leg and arm. Metal detectors at Cap One won't pick up those, but I wear a Cobra Tactical belt so the buckle has a significant amount of metal in it. I have to take that off to get through security at Cap One. Nothing hits at Nats Park. Fortunately, due to the increased emphasis on social distancing and trying to decrease interaction between people when not necessary, security is less likely to go hands on for the pat down. This makes getting whiskey into the stadium much easier, but the bag policy makes carrying it around less convenient. I bought a jacket with two large internal pockets that basically turn the entire inside of the jacket into a place to store things to act as my "Stealth Bag". If you see someone walking around Nats Park in July carrying a jacket, come say hi.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1571: April 25, 2021, 01:04:04 PM »
Weird stuff. I can see not wanting lines in the indoor clubs, but maybe they should be tolerant outdoors. By ordering online, is that the ballpark app with the tix?

I wonder if they have the wifi for big crowds.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1572: April 25, 2021, 01:15:55 PM »
Weird stuff. I can see not wanting lines in the indoor clubs, but maybe they should be tolerant outdoors. By ordering online, is that the ballpark app with the tix?

I wonder if they have the wifi for big crowds.

We used the mobile ordering feature in the ballpark app.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1573: April 26, 2021, 12:25:27 PM »
My spies inform me that there has been no Max's yet this year - anyone have any info on this?  Those shawarmas are a very important part of my midweek ballpark routine. 

Offline machpost

« Reply #1574: April 27, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »
I had seats in the 300 level last Tuesday and it seemed like less than half of the concession stands were open when I was there.