Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 243566 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #250: April 09, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »
The bum who for years sat at the entrance to the gravel lot under the bridge has been missing so far this season. Word is that the Nats had the city remove him because he was taking money intended to be spent in the ballpark.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #251: April 11, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
The bum who for years sat at the entrance to the gravel lot under the bridge has been missing so far this season. Word is that the Nats had the city remove him because he was taking money intended to be spent in the ballpark.

He couldn't have been in good health.

How about the guy who sold water for $1 a little ways up the street?  I didn't see him opening day, but the weather was lousy.  I like that guy, and the service is valuable.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #252: April 11, 2016, 06:13:26 PM »
He couldn't have been in good health.

How about the guy who sold water for $1 a little ways up the street?  I didn't see him opening day, but the weather was lousy.  I like that guy, and the service is valuable.

I didn't see any of the normal vendors for the exhibition game or opening day, I usually hit up the peanut guy. Sucks when the small businessman gets squeezed out by the Lerner machine.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #253: April 11, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »

I didn't see any of the normal vendors for the exhibition game or opening day, I usually hit up the peanut guy. Sucks when the small businessman gets squeezed out by the Lerner machine.

There was a shady looking couple across the street selling waters for a buck so I bought one, but didn't like the vibe.

Last year I was leaving a game in a big crowd, walking down towards the lot and I noticed a fan pulling a hand truck along.  His girlfriend was asking him what the F was he doing, he had this little smirk on his face.  I put 2 and 2 together and realized he had stolen the truck from the water guy.  It pissed me off because that guy is quite a gentle and friendly guy and this little nag ass punk had stolen is work equipment because he could.  I got in his face (wonders of alcohol) and shamed him into taking it back to the guy (the girlfriend's input didn't hurt, she was apoplectic).  I told her she could do better. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #254: April 29, 2016, 01:19:45 PM »

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #255: April 29, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
Well done.  There should be a bounty for entitled punk-ass nag dudebros.
There was a shady looking couple across the street selling waters for a buck so I bought one, but didn't like the vibe.

Last year I was leaving a game in a big crowd, walking down towards the lot and I noticed a fan pulling a hand truck along.  His girlfriend was asking him what the F was he doing, he had this little smirk on his face.  I put 2 and 2 together and realized he had stolen the truck from the water guy.  It pissed me off because that guy is quite a gentle and friendly guy and this little nag ass punk had stolen is work equipment because he could.  I got in his face (wonders of alcohol) and shamed him into taking it back to the guy (the girlfriend's input didn't hurt, she was apoplectic).  I told her she could do better. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #256: April 29, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
It was probably the wonders of alcohol that made him take it in the first place

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #257: April 30, 2016, 07:23:23 PM »
Planning on a weekend trip in June.  Any advice on hotels?  Would the Hampton Inn by the stadium be my best bet?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #258: April 30, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »
Planning on a weekend trip in June.  Any advice on hotels?  Would the Hampton Inn by the stadium be my best bet?

Don't know about the Hampton Inn, sorry.  Don't do the nearby Courtyard.  It was something of a pricey dump when we stayed there 2 years ago, and parking was very limited.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #259: April 30, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »

It's brand new and the more modern Hamptons are a consistent brand: clean, spacious, not super fancy but still some frills. If I were from out of town, I'd give it a try.

But the ballpark is very easily accessible by metro. You can stay anywhere in town. If you don't mind changing trains, there are two Kimpton properties in DuPont Circle neighborhood; Kimpton's are usually a great balance of upscale/upmarket experience and reasonable prices. One is called Topaz, can't remember the name of the other (Helix?). I think the DuPont neighborhood may offer more interesting options for dining/drinks/shopping than Navy Yard, if that's a factor.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #260: April 30, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Hampton Inn on opening day.  It's definitely convenient and the staff was pleasant. It was a good stay and they have a nice rooftop bar. I'd say go for it. If you have will have a car, they're limited to valet parking and I imagine it's pricey.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #261: April 30, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »

I travel in from E. Loudoun but if I was gonna stay in town and go to a game, I think I'd stay somewhere along the Green Line  ...  south of (or equal to) the Convention Center.   Close to Chinatown and the stuff goin' on around the Verizon Center.    Plus, one train to and from the stadium   ...   no transfers.    Transfers always pucker me up.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #262: May 01, 2016, 03:53:17 AM »
a little trick is to put the words "JDLand" in a post.  That's a local blog about development in the area.  It is here:
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm

The blogger usually stops by whenever the site is mentioned. ;)

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #263: May 01, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »
Thanks all.  The last time I did an overnight trip I think I stayed at the Hampton Inn in NW, but I could be wrong.  There was plenty to do nearby the hotel and the metro to the game was about 20 min or so.  Coming up this time with a couple of friends and leaving the wives/kids at  home.  I think they want to stay near the park, but I thought I check and see if there were better options.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #264: May 01, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
It's brand new and the more modern Hamptons are a consistent brand: clean, spacious, not super fancy but still some frills. If I were from out of town, I'd give it a try.

But the ballpark is very easily accessible by metro. You can stay anywhere in town. If you don't mind changing trains, there are two Kimpton properties in DuPont Circle neighborhood; Kimpton's are usually a great balance of upscale/upmarket experience and reasonable prices. One is called Topaz, can't remember the name of the other (Helix?). I think the DuPont neighborhood may offer more interesting options for dining/drinks/shopping than Navy Yard, if that's a factor.
patti's suggestion is pretty good.  I think i was at a conference at the Topaz years ago. smallish, nice restaurant I think.  you can take the red to either the green at gallery place or go up to Union Station and grab the circulator bus.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #265: May 02, 2016, 10:29:15 PM »

I've bought water and peanuts from them this year and I think last year too. No issues.

Offline jdland

« Reply #266: May 03, 2016, 12:11:30 PM »
a little trick is to put the words "JDLand" in a post.  That's a local blog about development in the area.  It is here:
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm

The blogger usually stops by whenever the site is mentioned. ;)

Whoops! I failed!

But yes, the Hampton is certainly the closest, and seems to be out of the gates well (it just opened in December).

There will be a Homewood Suites at Half and M opening late this year, and a Residence Inn a few doors up from the Hampton opening in 2017, bringing the total of hotels east of South Capitol to four (along with the Courtyard).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #267: May 03, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
Thanks all.  The last time I did an overnight trip I think I stayed at the Hampton Inn in NW, but I could be wrong.  There was plenty to do nearby the hotel and the metro to the game was about 20 min or so.  Coming up this time with a couple of friends and leaving the wives/kids at  home.  I think they want to stay near the park, but I thought I check and see if there were better options.

BTW the Hampton by the Park has a roof top bar/lounge.    :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #268: May 03, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
I wonder what the Capital Skyline Hotel is like? I just park there.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #269: May 04, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »

I've only seen the lounge, but I think it last had a renovation during the Carter administration

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #270: May 04, 2016, 10:18:14 PM »

Nice bar area by the pool. I hung out there during a rain delay for a couple hours last season and spoke with the bartender for a while. There were some wild times there back in the day. Marion Barry victory parties.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #271: May 06, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »
Not a question but I'll miss the old girl.    Enjoyed standing on the ramp looking at her up river.

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/05/museum-ship-at-navy-yard-leaving-the-nations-capital/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272: May 06, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »
Not a question but I'll miss the old girl.    Enjoyed standing on the ramp looking at her up river.

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/05/museum-ship-at-navy-yard-leaving-the-nations-capital/

Sad.  My favorite view used to be at the top of the ramps on the 1st base side, taking in the panorama from the Navy Yard buildings to the Barry and the river to the hills across the way, then down towards the confluence and the airport, and around to Fort McNair.  Now they have that darn new waterfront building killing the view east, and no more Barry, either.

I wonder if the depth of the Anacostia will support bringing a ship that size up to the Navy Yard in the future.  I'd imagine the recovery plan for the watershed is going to allow the river to silt over some to bury metals and the like.  I don't know if the Navy wants to keep the dock area potentially active.  I suppose you could bring up something shallow draft, like a landing craft, if they were going to replace it.  Or maybe bring in a littoral combat ship for a Congressional show and tell.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #273: May 06, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
Sad.  My favorite view used to be at the top of the ramps on the 1st base side, taking in the panorama from the Navy Yard buildings to the Barry and the river to the hills across the way, then down towards the confluence and the airport, and around to Fort McNair.  Now they have that darn new waterfront building killing the view east, and no more Barry, either.

I wonder if the depth of the Anacostia will support bringing a ship that size up to the Navy Yard in the future.  I'd imagine the recovery plan for the watershed is going to allow the river to silt over some to bury metals and the like.  I don't know if the Navy wants to keep the dock area potentially active.  I suppose you could bring up something shallow draft, like a landing craft, if they were going to replace it.  Or maybe bring in a littoral combat ship for a Congressional show and tell.

Someone mentioned the new South Capitol ST bridge will not be a riser.    Doubt if anything that big comes up river after the new bridge is built.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #274: May 06, 2016, 08:29:03 PM »

The Anacostia and Potomac have been silting in since colonial days.  Fairly large ships once docked at the port of Bladensburg, now you are hard pressed to dock a kayak there.  The only place left not silted in is the Potomac above Three Sisters Islands.  The swift current and frequent flood events wash silt out of the channel regularly.  There are places over 60 feet deep up between Three Sisters and the Brookmont Dam (a.k.a. the "drowning machine").