Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions  (Read 242107 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Nationals Park Questions
« Topic Start: March 04, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »
Because it's been asked about on more than one occasion and the old one has been locked with no new one yet, I felt I was the best person to start the new one ;)

Here's a link to the thread for previous years:

Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1: March 04, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
Is there a place for pleasure/personal boats to tie up near the stadium?      I know Pittsburgh has spots right along the river outside the stadium and it can be a pretty neat way to get to a game.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #2: March 04, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
Can I bring my own keg in?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #3: March 04, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Can I bring my own keg in?

I know you're kidding but I make a point of telling everyone I know they can bring food in. And they always seem very surprised.

I personally don't do it that much, except for games that I know will be packed and the lines long, like Opening Day. But I always get my water and peanuts outside the park.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #4: March 04, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
Ok I don't know where else to put this so I'll ask, does Nats Park have anything like this delectable creation?? A churro surrounded by a donut, that is pure brilliance nomnomnomnom

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: March 05, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
Other MLB stadiums should take a page from the Nats when it comes to bicycle parking and offer secured bike valet parking. The Twins, Padres, and Dodgers must think all of us ride Taiwanese trash.  Like I'm going to leave my Cervelo locked up outside for Scumbag Steve to steal with an angle grinder.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #6: March 05, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »
I guess this fits here....

Washington Nationals ‏@Nationals  21m21 minutes ago
.@zacbrownband just announced the Jekyll + Hyde Tour  @ #Nats Park on Aug. 14! Details here: http://atmlb.com/1NlELBl 

Offline jdland

« Reply #7: March 10, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »
Even though it's about the area outside of the ballpark rather than inside, I'll put this here (feel bashful starting a new thread). I've updated my What's New in the Neighborhood Since Last Season page:

http://www.jdland.com/dc/visiting-nats-park.cfm?show=whatsnew

Maps of the new and coming soon eateries (Bonchon!), the new lineup of project plans just north of Nats Park (lots of news in this department), the 10 (TEN!) residential projects currently under construction or starting momentarily, and more.

In short: Be prepared to dodge a whole lot of construction fences and equipment on your walks to the ballpark this year.

(I haven't updated my Parking Lots map yet--but will soon. Expect the inventory to be tighter than last year.)

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #8: April 03, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/washingtonian-recommends/5-new-things-to-look-for-at-nationals-park-this-season.php

4. More beer

Also on the anniversary front, the Nationals commissioned Samuel Adams to make a “special” tenth-anniversary India pale ale that will be sold throughout the park. I know what you’re thinking. Why did the Washington Nationals run all the way to the Boston Beer Company for a one-off brew instead of, say, one of the DC area’s local beer-makers?

Well, for one thing, Samuel Adams is a longtime team sponsor, and the IPA, on the less-hoppy end of the spectrum, tastes like the kind of beer that makes the dog days of July and August much more tolerable. And you can still be an alcohol locavore.There are four District Drafts carts—pouring a rotation from the likes of DC Brau, 3 Stars, Port City, Atlas, and Mad Fox—located behind sections 117, 139, 223, and 309.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: April 03, 2015, 09:33:12 PM »
Never tried Bonchon, but I love me some Korean wings  :thumbs:
They seem to have gone downhill at least based on our experience and super pricey

Offline laundrygal

« Reply #10: April 03, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/washingtonian-recommends/5-new-things-to-look-for-at-nationals-park-this-season.php

I hope one of the Hawaiian shave ice stands shows up on the 300 level. I think there was one listed in the directory last year that was never there (or never open).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: May 26, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
Mods - We should probably have a sticky thread for questions/discussions related to the park.

Wanted to share some thoughts on my visit from this past Saturday's game, the one game where the Nats didn't show up to play in the last three weeks or so.  The place was sold out.  Our seats were in section 134.  Bought them on stub hub for about $45 a ticket the day before the game (face value is $65).

Random comments:
- 4 PM game, the sun was in our face from about 6 PM until it ended around 6:50
- great views
- love the fact that they display the walk-up music title on the scoreboard as they play it
- Harper's "the best is yet to come" by Frank Sinatra and "earned it" were easily the two best walkup songs
- lines were long at the hot dog stands, but seemed to move well.  The gourmet sandwich stand behind 136 had no line, ever
- sitting in the center seats in a section is something i'll try to avoid in the future
- parked in the lot behind the 7-11 for $25, but we had to leave a key as it was filling up and they were putting cars into the aisles
- CF gate entrance line was enormous, we walked down to the LF entrance and didn't have a long wait.  The 3B gate line looked even shorter
- the new team store is really really poorly designed, there's an entrance near the CF gate, and an exit on the other side of the store.  Exiting requires you to pass through the register area where there's much confusion as to who's in line and who is trying to get out.  And if you head for the hat area to get out, you'll find you've hit a dead end and must fight through the crowd in the middle of the store to make it to the outside
- Ray Knight was hanging out talking to fans in the CF gate area, posing for pictures, and signing autographs about 25 minutes after games end.
- I still can't believe I paid $10 for a can of beer
- The all-beef hot dogs were atrocious, they tasted as if they had been cooking since the previous night.  I should have waited a bit longer for Ben's, but that line was insane.
- the Hawaiian shave ice looked really good
- I hate losing to Cole Hamels.

Anyone know what they are doing with the old team store?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: May 26, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
Link to the original "Nats Park Questions" thread - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25196.msg894899#msg894899

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #13: May 26, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »
And before anyone sends JCA an angry PM, I'm the one who trimmed the thread to keep it on-topic ;)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #14: May 26, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
And before anyone sends JCA an angry PM, I'm the one who trimmed the thread to keep it on-topic ;)

thanks!

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #15: May 27, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
Anyone know what they are doing with the old team store?

They have long planned to have a sports bar, possibly a brew pub, opened at the ballpark to show away games and NFL/NHL/NBA in the winter.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: May 27, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
- Ray Knight was hanging out talking to fans in the CF gate area, posing for pictures, and signing autographs about 25 minutes after games end.

Blue and I used to hang out after games and shoot the crap right by the CF gates where Ray and Johnny would walk out and hang with fans after Nats Xtra.  Ray Knight is probably one of the coolest dudes on the planet and usually has a couple of cougars waiting for him.  Whatever you do, but careful if you shake his hand - dude has mitts like a damn grizzly bear.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #17: May 27, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Chief - you're such a dinosaur ....

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #18: May 29, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Blue and I used to hang out after games and shoot the crap right by the CF gates where Ray and Johnny would walk out and hang with fans after Nats Xtra.  Ray Knight is probably one of the coolest dudes on the planet and usually has a couple of cougars waiting for him.  Whatever you do, but careful if you shake his hand - dude has mitts like a damn grizzly bear.

Can vouch for Knight being a really cool dude and having mitts like a grizzly bear. Ran into him and Johnny on the elevator at the park last year and both were as nice as can be. OTOH, I remember running into Dibble when my kids were little and he was a total dick to them. Wouldn't even speak to them much less sign.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #19: June 03, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
They seem to have gone downhill at least based on our experience and super pricey

I tried Bon Chon recently and didn't like it.  The chicken was actually sweet.  Not my thing.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #20: June 03, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
The chicken swarma at the Fallafa place (main level, behind left field foul pole) was a big disappointment tonight.  They seem to have replaced chicken with filler (such as celery) and lots of excess pita bread.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #21: June 04, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »
The chicken swarma at the Fallafa place (main level, behind left field foul pole) was a big disappointment tonight.  They seem to have replaced chicken with filler (such as celery) and lots of excess pita bread.
Funny - I tried the beef Shawarma at Max's in CF and loved it.  Something about their pickles makes it.  I usually go for the falafel but today I was in a beef mood.  The beef sausage looks interesting too.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #22: June 04, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
Funny - I tried the beef Shawarma at Max's in CF and loved it.  Something about their pickles makes it.  I usually go for the falafel but today I was in a beef mood.  The beef sausage looks interesting too.
Two different stands. Max's place is great, however, I've never had much luck at the Shawafel place.
I have noticed, however, that Max's has a whole new crew this year, and that the run out of Shawarma's by about the 3rd inning.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: June 04, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »
Two different stands. Max's place is great, however, I've never had much luck at the Shawafel place.
I have noticed, however, that Max's has a whole new crew this year, and that the run out of Shawarma's by about the 3rd inning.

oh, yes.  The complaint from MG was about Shawarfel, and Max's is completely different.  I guess it is a matter of taste. BiL loves Shawarfel.  Shawarfel has some other interesting things, like a fried cauliflower roll up and a mixed sandwich with both falafel and shawarma, I think.  I prefer the bigger stuffed pitas to the roll ups, and just really love the pickles and veggies at Max's.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #24: June 07, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
oh, yes.  The complaint from MG was about Shawarfel, and Max's is completely different.  I guess it is a matter of taste. BiL loves Shawarfel.  Shawarfel has some other interesting things, like a fried cauliflower roll up and a mixed sandwich with both falafel and shawarma, I think.  I prefer the bigger stuffed pitas to the roll ups, and just really love the pickles and veggies at Max's.

Max's upped their game after Schwafel came into the park. Max's used to serve cold falafel but no more.

To me the combination of condiments at Schwafel is more more interesting and authentic than Max's. And the Schwafel sandwich is actually bigger because it's rolled vs stuffed. And it's easier to eat too.

But to each his own. I visit both often because I'm a falafel lover.